Help Request on Stihl 028 AV Super Wood Boss - Bogging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you order a new aftermarket carb off sawzilla they made me a offer recently when completing my purchase to add their solo tachometer to the order for under 30 bucks. I own a solo tac and it has worked great for setting carbs up on saws, mowers, generators, 4 wheelers, blowers etc
I have experienced very few problems with their parts over the years when oem is nla, and they have a few rapid shipping options. When dealing with carbs on saws I replace the fuel pickup hose, impulse hose and fuel filter at the same time, the hoses loose their grip/stretch, their rigidity/strength and if disturbed can cause further gremlins and a tune up never hurts.

Looks like I've got a couple paths going for a carb at this point. I ordered a Stens aftermarket carb since I have had good luck with their mower parts over the years. Maybe better quality than the standard Amazon? I also ordered a new Walbro check valve and aftermarket repair kit for the OEM carb (including the Welch plug). Assuming the plug and check valve fit, maybe I can fix the original carb. It will be a while before any of it arrives though.

If neither of them fixes it, I likely will stop putting time and money into this saw and put it aside as a tinkering project for later rather than a 'main line' saw as I had been hoping for it to go back to being. It's one of the few things I have to remember my aunt and uncle, who both passed over a decade ago now, so it's not getting trashed. I just need something I can trust to run when I need it. I'm not sure what a replacement saw would even be though - Stihl dropping parts support and only selling stuff through their dealer network makes me mad. But I don't know if there's really a better option...

Latest posts

Back