rig line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is 3 strand good for natural crotching? i've been hearing it here and there. i've never used 3 strand for anything. i always used 12 strand older climbing lines for routing light to medium rigging. i like how inexpensive it is.
kevin

I wouldn't buy that rope because it is a big fat unknown. You can't tell who the manufacturer is, you can't tell what fibers it is made of, and you can't tell what it was designed for.

Stick with something we know. Double Esterlon, Stable Braid...something like that.

Not only that, it's really not that good of a deal.

love
nick

thanks guys!

I didnt buy it because of all the unknowns. It prolly would have been fine but better safe than sorry!

is 3 strand good for natural crotching? i've been hearing it here and there. i've never used 3 strand for anything. i always used 12 strand older climbing lines for routing light to medium rigging. i like how inexpensive it is.
kevin

I started out with three strand, but I graduated to better rope. It stretches quite a bit more, it's not as strong as most braided ropes, and it is a whole lot harder on the bark of any trees you run it over. Depending on the variety of rope you buy, it also does not take nearly as much friction/heat as ropes made for that. Knots seem to bind MUCH tighter.

You usually run into all sorts of problems with the rope twisting up into knots or spinning under a load.

I like stable braid from Samson: very strong rope, great friction resistance.

Latest posts

Back