Rounding out my collection - small CC Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For small stuff, dirty stuff, roots, can't beat a pruning blade in a battery reciprocating saw.
DeWalt reciprocating saw is a beast. Got a cheap set of old 18V DeWalt tools for my dad he never used anything but the drill from so I got the 20V battery adapter for them to go with my 20V batteries and took the reciprocating and circular saw for myself. Saw some videos of cutting fairly heavy metal pipe with a carbide blade and didn't believe they could actually cut thicker metal that well but man they're impressive with those carbide blades. Go through half inch solid rod like nothing and great for flushcutting any old metal pipes set in concrete (clotheslines, etc) you want to get rid of. And good with pruning blades around the yard and like you say, on roots.

DeWalt reciprocating saw is a beast. Got a cheap set of old 18V DeWalt tools for my dad he never used anything but the drill from so I got the 20V battery adapter for them to go with my 20V batteries and took the reciprocating and circular saw for myself. Saw some videos of cutting fairly heavy metal pipe with a carbide blade and didn't believe they could actually cut thicker metal that well but man they're impressive with those carbide blades. Go through half inch solid rod like nothing and great for flushcutting any old metal pipes set in concrete (clotheslines, etc) you want to get rid of. And good with pruning blades around the yard and like you say, on roots.
Yeh the various demolition blades, metal cutters for reciprocaters, circular saws............. are absolutely fantastic compared to what they were 15,-20 years ago.

There are many models of non professional stihl, husqavarna, echo and others that have the longevity of a pro saw. Personally have a 180 I've ran the snot out of for 18 years. Pro saws have higher power to weight, response time, ease of field maintenance.............., but don't necessarily last longer.
Lucky you. I have killed a stihl 170, stihl 180 and husky 135, each lasting 2-5 years and difficult to repair.

I have an 024 AV super, and found it's nothing special. The 025 and ms250 seem just as fast and they weigh a pound less. They also have a proper carb choke setup vs the weird in the filter setup of the 024. The 025/250 are a pain to assemble if you need to rebuild one though. The intake boot and the av grommets in particular.

I am very fond of O25's. Used 1 where I worked for 10 years and had 2 I bought for personal use after. All cut a respectable amount of wood year after year trouble free as any pro saw I owned to memory. I went to my 2nd because the first was stolen. They feel lighter and more nimble then an 026, fairly peppy throttle response to the point I seldom use my 026. 025 is less fatiguing and with a 16in bar and smallish trees feels as fast. Bigger stuff I usually skip to the 036 next in line. Lower I recently added an adjustable carb and opened the muffler on an ms180 that been in my lineup. Woke it up very well and I expect I will use it more often . I don't want to be without an 025 for sure . The 180 is nice to.
Hey Bushwacker, Betzy from Canada here, any chance you could help me source that adjustable carb and how you opened its muffler? I have a 180c and recently started using it, good little saw for when wiffy is with me she can start it no problem:) thanks in advance

Latest posts

Back