Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coil Question

Hey, guys, I have a Dolmar PS-3410TH that I bought new in 2007, and it has no spark, or I should say "intermittent / weak spark." (Problem just developed this year.) I tried a new spark plug, no go. Tried putting some 2mix into cylinder, and it might run for 1 second, same with ether, but mostly, I can't even get it to pop.

Sprayed out the on/off switch with plastic-safe contact cleaner and compressed air, still no go. When I pull out the plug and ground it, and pull over the saw, I get either "no visible spark" or "intermittent dim/weak spark."

I checked the parts list and there are two parts labeled "coil" ... part number 170143041 (Jack's Small Engines says to use 170143110 instead for this first part number) and 170143011 (parts keyed #121 and #130 in diagram below):

Dolmar-PS3410-TH-ignition-parts-detail.jpg

But man, I am not finding much in the way of parts for this. Ebay has "both" coils from a seller in Estonia... supposedly new ... for $110 but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a 17-year-old saw.

My question is, do any of you experts know a cheaper solution for the coil(s) on this saw? Seems like the coils should be a fairly "standard" or " readily available off the shelf" item, not something that you need to go to freaking Estonia and pay over $100 for.

As another possible solution, is there any way to "cross reference" parts numbers to maybe find the same coil(s) but with different part numbers, that might be used on other saws?

What would you experienced chainsaw gurus do if this saw came into your shop? Seems like there's got to be a cheaper solution...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jeff

Coil Question

Hey, guys, I have a Dolmar PS-3410TH that I bought new in 2007, and it has no spark, or I should say "intermittent / weak spark." (Problem just developed this year.) I tried a new spark plug, no go. Tried putting some 2mix into cylinder, and it might run for 1 second, same with ether, but mostly, I can't even get it to pop.

Sprayed out the on/off switch with plastic-safe contact cleaner and compressed air, still no go. When I pull out the plug and ground it, and pull over the saw, I get either "no visible spark" or "intermittent dim/weak spark."

I checked the parts list and there are two parts labeled "coil" ... part number 170143041 (Jack's Small Engines says to use 170143110 instead for this first part number) and 170143011 (parts keyed #121 and #130 in diagram below):

Dolmar-PS3410-TH-ignition-parts-detail.jpg

But man, I am not finding much in the way of parts for this. Ebay has "both" coils from a seller in Estonia... supposedly new ... for $110 but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a 17-year-old saw.

My question is, do any of you experts know a cheaper solution for the coil(s) on this saw? Seems like the coils should be a fairly "standard" or " readily available off the shelf" item, not something that you need to go to freaking Estonia and pay over $100 for.

As another possible solution, is there any way to "cross reference" parts numbers to maybe find the same coil(s) but with different part numbers, that might be used on other saws?

What would you experienced chainsaw gurus do if this saw came into your shop? Seems like there's got to be a cheaper solution...

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jeff
I'm guessing the 2 part design that isn't common to much else is what makes it so spendy. I'd look very closely at the wiring harnes & connectors etc (124 &125 in IPL) before ordering anything... you may be lucky & find it's just a poor connection somewhere. Disconnect the kill switch to rule that out (cleaner won't necessarily fix anything).
If it needs replacing after that I'd probaly be looking for a parts saw

Back