Saw shoot out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
I did some timed cuts today with few saws...John Nikitas 357, Christians 372, Erics stock 066, Rogers 488, and a stock 2171. The 2171 and 372 used the same bar and chain..square ground, but not race chain...the 066 used brand new 3/8 oregon chain, as did the 357, and Rb's 488 used a 20" .325 chain also brand new...

these saws also are not broken in, have had only one tank of fuel idled through each of them...

The cuts were made in a 14" cottonwood, and times are an average of 3 cuts..

Erics stock 066 5.78 seconds

Stock 2171 8.35 seconds

RB's 488 9.68

Johns 357 8.03

Christians 372 5.71

good to have you back so quick Dennis - just lay off the hard stuff and start a good beer habit - i dont think i'd follow rotax's beer choice though, LOL

anyway, what chain was on the 066 - round or square chisel?:confused:

saw tests

Helloo Dennis,
Pretty good times I would say. Wonder what your piped 272 with the same chain and then with uncle art's chain would be?
Ken

Thanks Dennis,

About what I expected for the 488. I think I'll put a 16 bar on it, and a 18 or 20 on the 346. Broken in and with a shorter bar, if it cuts close to a 372 stock with a bit longer bar, I'm way happy.

Be nice to me, Mr Postman!!!

Hey Dennis, glad to see you back so soon. Your timed cuts verified what I already knew by feel, pretty interesting. I spanked a Woodshark with mine yesterday and then made the gaff of letting the Woodshark guy run the G357. Now he`s got to have one but he doesn`t have the money. I`ll admit that it was kind of thoughtless of me. Also hung a badly leaning (70°) ash with it. Big ole beanpole, about 10"dbh and 60' tall, tried to swing it a few degrees away from the other tree, but to no avail. At least it wasn`t too heavy to pull down without too much trouble. I guess yesterday wasn`t a day of good judgement for me eh.:D Russ

I see absolutely nothing wrong with Rotax’s Beer choice, Busch is the breakfast of champions and chainsaw enthusiasts. :alien:
Two thoughts come to mind, boy does my stock 372, which I loved before I read this post seem entirely inadequate :confused: and I wonder what the modified version of the 066 would do.
I am sure glad He didn’t add that eleventh commandment: for I wouldth haveth a bigeth problme.
11. “Thou shall not covet thy neighbor’s chainsaw”
:angel:

dang ,i can see rite now id have to take a while learning to operate a modified.
that thing get loose with me in the woods,no tellin what might happen.:)

The only thing that beats a cold Budweiser is a warm Busch
amen.gif

That stock 066 time and modified 372 time is a bit decieving...the 372 was running squareground chisel...and the 066 had round ground chisel...so those times for the 372 are a bit faster than normal...I didnt have a square ground chain for the 066 around...and didnt have a spare round ground for the others handy...the main reason I cut with the 066 is to compare it after I build it for Eric...

Ken..I was actually going to try that out as well to put it in perspective...but ran out of time...and needed to rest as well...but I would guess it would be high 2 low 3....

[/B]"the 372 was running squareground chisel...and the 066 had round ground chisel"[/B]

I am confused to why the chain manufacturer doesn't promote a faster cutting chain.

Is it the kickback issue?
A profit issue?

Square ground chain is rather hard to sharpen by hand. I suppose it also would cost more to grind at the factory and because of the limited demand. Most regular saw users don't want to trade cost and maintainability for a slight edge in speed.

Dennis, is that my stock 2171?, or are you still trying to chisel
through all the stamps? Got ere Denn yet? No hrrrrry.
Sounds like you've got a shop full right now.

Later

Dennis, no sweat, I can wait another week or two if you're
swamped. I suppose though you'll be swamped until winter
takes a firm hold. 038 filling in admirably in the mean time.
Interesting comparison, RB's 488 is especially intriguing......

Was talking to Dennis today and he is understating his condition.
Dont wish to be needlessly personal about our friend Dennis,but Dennis get lots of rest, go bed and dont push it!
Pal,
John

Back