Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In order of volume here is where it went:

Friends' fire pits
Children's camp
My boiler
My fire pits
My sauna

You need some help cutting? My Makita needs more of a workout.

Update Gentlemen...I'm off work this week, doing a little bit of pre-rut hunting. Rained yesterday, today...pretty typical when you take off, go figure.

I did a lotta soul searching last night about my galfriend...stayed up all night. I packed all of her things from my home today in 13-gal Hefty 'Samsonites'...gave her a call. Told her come in peace, get your things in peace, leave in peace. Sayin she wasn't expecting it would be an understatement. I never one time, since we met back in '08, asked her for a dime much less a dollar, to do heating/AC, condensers/air handler units, wiring, plumbing, electrical, painting, remodeling work...on her rental houses. She got a damn good ride at my gray hair, high blood pressure ass, expense. We had some good times fellas, good vacations...but when the bad outnumbers those 20:1, somethings gotta give. Pretty soon we'd a hit the ol skool 32:1 premix ratio, lol. I'm 48 yrs old fellas...ain't no spring chicken no more. And if I keep up with this ****, I'll be dead by 50. Gone.

...when your own 24 yr old son and your 17 yr old daughter, especially, tells ya if ya don't stop this relationship, quit runnin yourself ragged trying every evening and every night, keepin up with a business that I cared more for than she did...you're gonna work yourself straight into the ground. My daytime job is bad enough pressure, keeping them damn C-17's ferrying Marines, soldiers, warfighters, around this globe. They gotta fly...

I can't add on all my fingers and toes, times 10, how many evenings I missed with my own children, in the last several yrs, helping this gal. One thing I never did was miss my daughters basketball, volleyball, softball games.

I shed a tear or ten last night...I think it was the best move I could make...and I took it, for my own health and happiness. Ain't never been into her addictions, pills, etc, and never will be. I gave this gal my best...it ain't worth no early grave.

I appreciate everyone who read my previous posts about this relationship. Sorry I aired my laundry...I appreciate you folks being a sounding board and your inputs...I really do.

Scrounge on...you wood cuttin fools.

Yep, sometimes it's best to cut your losses. My current wife is freaking awesome! Don't really believe in soul mates but if I did she would be it. Makes a huge difference being in a relationship where there's mutual respect, sacrifice, and open communication.

I'm taking off the rest of the week too. Probably shouldn't but I'm freaking done with this place lol. Probably the worst manager I've ever had to work under. Really nice guy but just an utter lack of leadership. He's retiring in two years so he's just basically passing time until he goes out the door for good. Tonight I'll sharpen all my chains and wreak havoc on some logs tomorrow.

Update Gentlemen...I'm off work this week, doing a little bit of pre-rut hunting. Rained yesterday, today...pretty typical when you take off, go figure.

I did a lotta soul searching last night about my galfriend...stayed up all night. I packed all of her things from my home today in 13-gal Hefty 'Samsonites'...gave her a call. Told her come in peace, get your things in peace, leave in peace. Sayin she wasn't expecting it would be an understatement. I never one time, since we met back in '08, asked her for a dime much less a dollar, to do heating/AC, condensers/air handler units, wiring, plumbing, electrical, painting, remodeling work...on her rental houses. She got a damn good ride at my gray hair, high blood pressure ass, expense. We had some good times fellas, good vacations...but when the bad outnumbers those 20:1, somethings gotta give. Pretty soon we'd a hit the ol skool 32:1 premix ratio, lol. I'm 48 yrs old fellas...ain't no spring chicken no more. And if I keep up with this ****, I'll be dead by 50. Gone.

...when your own 24 yr old son and your 17 yr old daughter, especially, tells ya if ya don't stop this relationship, quit runnin yourself ragged trying every evening and every night, keepin up with a business that I cared more for than she did...you're gonna work yourself straight into the ground. My daytime job is bad enough pressure, keeping them damn C-17's ferrying Marines, soldiers, warfighters, around this globe. They gotta fly...

I can't add on all my fingers and toes, times 10, how many evenings I missed with my own children, in the last several yrs, helping this gal. One thing I never did was miss my daughters basketball, volleyball, softball games.

I shed a tear or ten last night...I think it was the best move I could make...and I took it, for my own health and happiness. Ain't never been into her addictions, pills, etc, and never will be. I gave this gal my best...it ain't worth no early grave.

I appreciate everyone who read my previous posts about this relationship. Sorry I aired my laundry...I appreciate you folks being a sounding board and your inputs...I really do.

Don't let it get to ya real bad man. Give it some time, then look around. Jawjah blessed with a buncha good ole gals..

Well , while youse guys are talking about the rut , a rut and hunting , I's got big fish to fry ,

IMG_20151027_171012.jpg

What would you guys use for seasoning ?

First night that the temps will drop below 32* so I'm gonna throw in a couple of junk hardwood chunks with my 2x's to stretch out the evening burn .
Stay warm fellow scroungers :)

Did a little cutting of the trees I dropped yesterday, then hooked up my "tunnel rat" trailer to the ATV and got some of those big Elm rounds near the road where I can split them with the hydro. First load of "big" rounds I got 6 in the trailer, but by the bottom of the tree, I could only fit 2! Ended up pulling the back door off and leaning them in. No larger trailer will fit the narrow path between the trees. At least it holds a lot more than a wheelbarrow, and it is a lot easier to push!

Attachments

• Wood10-27-15 001.jpg
    Wood10-27-15 001.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
  • Wood10-27-15 002.jpg
    Wood10-27-15 002.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
  • Wood10-27-15 003.jpg
    Wood10-27-15 003.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25

I wouldn't call it dirty laundry , I posted a lot on this thread while I was on the mend , helped me a lot through some real grey days that I had wondering if all the work and pain would get me to where I wanted to be and I thank all the contributors for what they've posted and respect that they've shown , there's nothing to prove here , we all have troubles , we can all learn from others and I'm glad to see that nobody here has interrupted someone from having to get stuff out of there head that was a little off topic.
Since this is a scrounging thread I'm sure you'll scrounge up another good one LOL
PS , Please , no dating stuff details unless she has her own chainsaw and a woodlot ;)

hang tough USMC615. good luck hunting. our rut is ramping up here in PA. lots of scrapes and rubs all over. seen some big cedars all tore up so i know "he's" out there. hope ya can find a big boy out there. and thanks for the rain tomorrow,:buttkick:
X2 usmc. Take care of yourself. Enjoy some sanity time in the deer stand. By the way thanks for what you do keeping our fighting men and women moving where they need be to keep us free.

Steve go get the big boy. You are making me want to go hunting tomorrow instead of work. Friday won't come soon enough.

Well , while youse guys are talking about the rut , a rut and hunting , I's got big fish to fry ,

IMG_20151027_171012.jpg

First night that the temps will drop below 32* so I'm gonna throw in a couple of junk hardwood chunks with my 2x's to stretch out the evening burn .

LOL!! I got to tell you, that is pretty dang funny! I think it would be best to just throw that sucker in the back of the throat and grab a shot of whiskey and drink it down! Better luck next time!

Thanks

Update gentlemen...I'm off work this week, doing a little bit of pre-rut hunting. Rained yesterday, today...pretty typical when you take off, go figure.

Sounds like you made the right decision. I wish you the best on whatever comes next.

IMG_20151027_171012.jpg

Any bigger than that and you'd have to scour a little more rust off the pan. :buttkick:

Bon Apetit. What beverage will you be serving with this lunker?

The house got under 70 degrees this morning. Although it is not cold is is rainy and I hate that damp feeling so.... I have a blaze going. I am burning this pine just to burn it. I don't mind it not being very cold but I still have another load of pine outside that needs to make it into the house. That way I can get some hardwoods in here next week so before I go to my cabin for a week. The pine burns to fast for my wife and I dont want to hear about the fire going out while I am at the hunting cabin.

de3bebc43baf6d78301082d72ade0907.jpg

Did a little cutting of the trees I dropped yesterday, then hooked up my "tunnel rat" trailer to the ATV and got some of those big Elm rounds near the road where I can split them with the hydro. First load of "big" rounds I got 6 in the trailer, but by the bottom of the tree, I could only fit 2! Ended up pulling the back door off and leaning them in. No larger trailer will fit the narrow path between the trees. At least it holds a lot more than a wheelbarrow, and it is a lot easier to push!

I'm so jealous of the big wood you seem to get into often. I'm scrabbling to stack enough to season for next year and most of it is sub 12"

I appreciate all you folks kind words and well wishes. It'll take a little adjustment, little getting used to...but I think I made the right decision. Again, appreciate it folks.

Family is always the most important thing. If she was coming between you and your kids you definitely did the right thing. You will go down the hill before you go up it but it will get better. When I got divorced I helped the pain with a few 1911's ;-)

Question is there anyway to extend burn time? My stove is pretty small and claims a 6 hour max burn time which is a challenge. I loaded it up at about midnight then checked it at 5am and it barely had a few coals in it. I had the damper set about as low as it would go. I'm not expecting there to be logs in but not having coals means I basically have to start over building the fire.

Question is there anyway to extend burn time? My stove is pretty small and claims a 6 hour max burn time which is a challenge. I loaded it up at about midnight then checked it at 5am and it barely had a few coals in it. I had the damper set about as low as it would go. I'm not expecting there to be logs in but not having coals means I basically have to start over building the fire.

About the only thing I can think of is to get a bigger stove with a bigger fire box. Also sub 12" wood isnt so bad. It is easy on the back and single splits. I like that a lot versus trying to do my best impression of a power lifter trying to throw around those huge rounds.

Back