Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I had a semi productive evening. Managed to get the room fully enclosed. I still need to get tin on the wood shed side, but the ply wood is up. I also managed to get a good coat of copper green on the oak beams. Seems 3 to 4 coats will be nessisary to fully treat them. Only used about half a gallon between the 2 main beams and i re treated all the pressure treated lumber so everything matched color wise. Did a little bit of grading before rain set in, then pulled my wife escape in the shop and changed oil in it.
I'm pretty sure I have enough 1" oak boards to use for the floor in the room. Which will save me a pile of money.
With the rain it gave me a good chance to check out all my flashing since I don't have any of the inside walls done yet. Pretty happy that it all seems to be working well and no water was evident in the shop or the little room.
Sorry I forgot to take any pictures, I'll have to remember to get some tonight.

Today I was winching/skidding little stuff,

Resized-20240606-132229-S.jpg

and BIG stuff,

Resized-20240606-142259-S.jpg

and LOTS of stuff,

Resized-20240606-130059-S.jpg

All going to be firewood (mostly oak), I was clearing trails on a "paying" job. The best kind! lol

SR

Split the last of the locust today . Glad that’s done with I actually can’t take anymore wood for a while I have no where to put and have no time as I am going to applying for the permit for my shop . Planning on 30x50 I’m just waiting on a few quotes.
And I managed to put in new cab bushings on the 72 and buttoned up the exhaust system. Next is put the front clip on . I reused the factory bolts because they were like new and I’m sure the ones in the kit are Chinese. Not bad for a 52 year old truck absolutely no rust on the floors IMG_8555.jpegIMG_8556.jpegIMG_8553.jpegIMG_8552.jpeg

Today I was winching/skidding....
SR

You too eh? Mine wasn't a paying job, unless you consider wearing myself out a self-payment :laugh:

We are clearing 2 acres for Silvopasture and making firewood, wood chips and saw logs out of everything. Saw logs are for the barn expansion later this year.

20240606_095904.jpg

038 Mag got some run time today.
20240606_193723.jpg
20240606_193744.jpg
20240606_193821.jpg

Sunlight through that open canopy.
20240606_193827.jpg

3rd stack done. Still have about 10 medium sized odd shaped Ash rounds that are too tough to split with the maul,they'll get ripped in half with a saw in a few days.Then they'll be tossed in a pile someplace cause they wont stack good at all....

PM850 FTW!!! 👍

View attachment 1182138
View attachment 1182139
View attachment 1182140
Most fun I've ever had was running my 850 with a 20" on firewood. New chain and she was hungry that day!!!!
I remember thinking later how many moons ago I was impressed with a Stihl 290. Stihl like and use it, and I know it's considerably smaller than an 850 just reflecting on a time before I'd ever had that yellow T Rex in my hands!

Second truck 92 Jeep sport truck . 4.0 ,5spd 4x4 . Has 52k miles on it I’ve alway like these and since I sold my 98 XJ I’m jeepless :laugh: View attachment 1182279View attachment 1182280
Years ago I had one of those Comanche pickups like that, just automatic trans. Blew the rear out of it like 6 months after I started driving it. Should have fixed it, it was pretty decent for what it was. Sold it off for parts. My younger brother liked it so much he went out and bought an 86 4cyl 5 speed. He still has it, although he doesn't drive it much at all these days.

Second truck 92 Jeep sport truck . 4.0 ,5spd 4x4 . Has 52k miles on it I’ve alway like these and since I sold my 98 XJ I’m jeepless :laugh: View attachment 1182279View attachment 1182280
Where did you find that `92 Jeep truck I know it wasn't near Syracuse NY a city know for salt way before there were cars! Heck it was known for salt before the white men showed up!

So to those of you that know anything about wood floors I have a few questions. I'll preface with, I decided to use that stack of 5/4 oak I got about 2 years ago for the floor in the lean to room of the shop. Got it planed down nice. There are some defects I'd like to fill in, but keep visible. Really trying to go full on rustic/rough cut look in this room. Actually to the point I'm looking at having someone with a circular saw mill cut boards for the walls just for the pattern. Anyway. Can I fill the knot holes/cracks with epoxy resin and then top coat with polyurethane? Do I need to use water based or can I just stick with the tried and true oil based polyurethane? I've been searching the interwebs but seem to be coming up short for floor use. Lots of stuff about tables and chairs. Neither of which will see the wear and tear the floor will. Any thoughts or input will be greatly appreciated.

So to those of you that know anything about wood floors I have a few questions. I'll preface with, I decided to use that stack of 5/4 oak I got about 2 years ago for the floor in the lean to room of the shop. Got it planed down nice. There are some defects I'd like to fill in, but keep visible. Really trying to go full on rustic/rough cut look in this room. Actually to the point I'm looking at having someone with a circular saw mill cut boards for the walls just for the pattern. Anyway. Can I fill the knot holes/cracks with epoxy resin and then top coat with polyurethane? Do I need to use water based or can I just stick with the tried and true oil based polyurethane? I've been searching the interwebs but seem to be coming up short for floor use. Lots of stuff about tables and chairs. Neither of which will see the wear and tear the floor will. Any thoughts or input will be greatly appreciated.
I'm no expert but I'll share some personal experience. If you're going for the rustic look maybe no coating or just some linseed oil. Our shop at work has 100 year old pine floors upstairs that I know haven't been finished in 50 years. They're fine had have a cool patina. There's also a 100 plus year old feed mill that has maple floors that I'm sure they never coated and they were fine until the mill closed and the roof failed. I'm wondering if treating the bottom for bugs and letting the top open would work. The oak should wear well.

I'm no expert but I'll share some personal experience. If you're going for the rustic look maybe no coating or just some linseed oil. Our shop at work has 100 year old pine floors upstairs that I know haven't been finished in 50 years. They're fine had have a cool patina. There's also a 100 plus year old feed mill that has maple floors that I'm sure they never coated and they were fine until the mill closed and the roof failed. I'm wondering if treating the bottom for bugs and letting the top open would work. The oak should wear well.
I was initially not going to seal the floor, just fill in any little defects etc. but as my wife pointed out, it's going to be subject to a lot of oil/grease and possibly gas spills. + there will be 6" of insulation directly under it.(the floor is elevated off the ground from 6" to nearly 3 feet at the one end.) Planning on doing most of my small engine/rc/saw projects in there vs the main shop. stains and anything getting under the boards is kinda a worry for me. I'd rather not give anything the chance to soak through and no way to deal with it, without either tearing the floor up, or taking the panels out from bellow. (Real pain in the rump.)

I was initially not going to seal the floor, just fill in any little defects etc. but as my wife pointed out, it's going to be subject to a lot of oil/grease and possibly gas spills. + there will be 6" of insulation directly under it.(the floor is elevated off the ground from 6" to nearly 3 feet at the one end.) Planning on doing most of my small engine/rc/saw projects in there vs the main shop. stains and anything getting under the boards is kinda a worry for me. I'd rather not give anything the chance to soak through and no way to deal with it, without either tearing the floor up, or taking the panels out from bellow. (Real pain in the rump.)
You can use boiled linseed oil, or polyurethane. I've seen drying problems with both when applied in high humidity. If you go polyurethane, I would only use fresh oil based Varithane. The only other brand I liked was made by DeMert (Heet) and was discontinued 45 or 50 years ago, and DeMert is long gone too. The varithanf folks told me it should be applied only when the relative humidity was 20% or less. I laughed in his face. Realistically, pick a nice low humidity sunny day to put it on, or heat the room.

Back