Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Up to 30 gal 🤑. I keep like 60-75 gal on hand and rotate it out after two years if not used. Sometimes it's cheaper to put in car than the current price of regular 😆
Okay, that makes a lot more sense, then just saying you pay $3-4 and gallon lol.
It also makes good sense in general. I let my stockpile get down, need to buy some barrels and get them filled, but I don't want to clutter the barn before things are finished.

Well I decided to repack the front hub bearings on my 85 k20 . They had plenty of grease but I’m concerned about the inner race . It spins in the hub and looks a little discolored no scrapes or wear marks Bearing itself looks fine . Don’t know if I should trust it or get a new cone and cup . IMG_8696.jpeg

Well I decided to repack the front hub bearings on my 85 k20 . They had plenty of grease but I’m concerned about the inner race . It spins in the hub and looks a little discolored no scrapes or wear marks Bearing itself looks fine . Don’t know if I should trust it or get a new cone and cup . View attachment 1188849
You have a choice of replacing the hub or put in a new bearing and use LocTite bearing retainer on it. Matt might have a knurling tool that you could use on the hub to hold a new bearing race.

Yesterday hit something with Landpride 7' mower. It was either a 3" piece of wood or a rock that I hit. The web on these high lift blades were pretty well worn out. All of a sudden I got this wicked vibration. While replacing the blades I noticed that two spindles had up and down play in them. One was only .025 and the other was .045. I tore the spindles apart and machined down the bearing spacer boss between the upper and lower bearings. Now the deck is back to normal.

For you Stihl guys here is a real oldie.

Attachments

• 20240706_091601.jpg
    20240706_091601.jpg
    1.4 MB
  • 20240706_091614.jpg
    20240706_091614.jpg
    1.2 MB
  • Screenshot_20240706_092727_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240706_092727_Facebook.jpg
    771.8 KB
Never heard of foundation grade, I'll have to look out for it. Admittedly I'm no carpenter, and don't even like doing carpentry work. I do my best to grab the ground contact rated stuff. Didn't know there wad a superior grade yet. I've been treating the stuff i get with copper green preservative too. Seems to help them last longer.
I think that's the same as "marine grade"? As said, pay attention to the tag stapled on. I used some std pt for a raised box I had left over just to try it. 3yrs and it's toast.
Put some 5/4 PT decking at my camp. Sits with 3ft of snow in the winter. Treat it every couple of years with Flood CWF UV Stain. 20yrs and it look weathered but near new and solid, no checking or splits. Flood CWF is the bomb. Use it on the half round log siding. Over 30yrs old still solid.

You have a choice of replacing the hub or put in a new bearing and use LocTite bearing retainer on it. Matt might have a knurling tool that you could use on the hub to hold a new bearing race.
Ordered new Raybestos hubs and rotors as a complete unit got them from parts geek in PA I’ve used them before . Rockauto was cheaper but they are out of stock just wish I had looked at the bearings a couple of weeks ago . IMG_8700.jpeg

Well I decided to repack the front hub bearings on my 85 k20 . They had plenty of grease but I’m concerned about the inner race . It spins in the hub and looks a little discolored no scrapes or wear marks Bearing itself looks fine . Don’t know if I should trust it or get a new cone and cup . View attachment 1188849
Soak and clean for a good look. Me, id clean all the old grease out, inspect for any sign of wear and if none repack with the grease of your choice. I've switched to Lucas Red N' Tacky for pretty much everything.

So now either I tow the 68 behind the Dodge and have A/C or I drive the 72 without A/C to Tennessee next week
Decisions, decisions. I would tow it down as you might just sell it to somebody there. Plus you get to stay cool with the AC on. If it was Spring or Fall I would drive it.

Soak and clean for a good look. Me, id clean all the old grease out, inspect for any sign of wear and if none repack with the grease of your choice. I've switched to Lucas Red N' Tacky for pretty much everything.
I use the red on bearings too. With the race spinning in the hub I decided to replace both hubs and get all new bearings .

Decisions, decisions. I would tow it down as you might just sell it to somebody there. Plus you get to stay cool with the AC on. If it was Spring or Fall I would drive it.
I’d want to drive it around in Tennessee that’s the point of going . We take day trips to Nashville and what fun is it driving the Dodge . The 68 no way in hell could I drive it 908 miles one way its a 250 straight six with 4.57 gearing but I could use it down there . I would have to unload the dodge it’s full of wood
IMG_8652.jpeg
I’m pretty resigned to the fact it’s going to be the 72 .

I don’t think I would trust bearing retainer the race spins way too easily.
View attachment IMG_8706.mov

I use the red on bearings too. With the race spinning in the hub I decided to replace both hubs and get all new bearings .
The old fashioned way; buy new bearings and check the race. if it is still loose, take a small center punch and a small hammer and pien the surface on opposite sides, 90º or 120º apart. Just enough to keep the race from turning. If you are paranoid, then put some loctite on too before you put the race on. THen you don't have to decide which other truck to use.

When you get back, you can still change to the new hubs if you want.

The old fashioned way; buy new bearings and check the race. if it is still loose, take a small center punch and a small hammer and pien the surface on opposite sides, 90º or 120º apart. Just enough to keep the race from turning. If you are paranoid, then put some loctite on too before you put the race on. THen you don't have to decide which other truck to use.

When you get back, you can still change to the new hubs if you want.
I’ve done that to Trailer drums and the occasional spindle to get home . I’d rather not do that before starting the trip .
Will be trailering no matter what I decide to take . I went and picked up my CTD Dodge late this afternoon actually just got home . Trailer has new tires and I will pack the bearings tomorrow.

Well, Mustangs daughter threw a party for his granddaughter, somehow we all ended up at the lake.

His grandson hooked and landed a hefty, 17in largemouth

My nephew hooked a MONSTER pickerel, but the net was too small and I screwed up a bit and it got away…

I felt pretty bad, still do…. It was probably the biggest fish he ever hooked image000000.jpeg

The one in the picture, I lipped to land for the kid

Latest posts

Back