Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn vw had been giving me Intermittant can bus faults. Looses communication with the abs, air bag modules and the tach goes limp. Supposedly classic symptoms of a connection under the dash having an issue. I thought it finally was going to stay broke last night after running Ziva into my wife's work, pulled it into the shop and everything went back to normal. Quite frustrating. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it seems like it does it more when it's hot out and or I'm running the ac.

Darn vw had been giving me Intermittant can bus faults. Looses communication with the abs, air bag modules and the tach goes limp. Supposedly classic symptoms of a connection under the dash having an issue. I thought it finally was going to stay broke last night after running Ziva into my wife's work, pulled it into the shop and everything went back to normal. Quite frustrating. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but it seems like it does it more when it's hot out and or I'm running the ac.
Blower fan and AC Clutch are both fairly high amp consumers. Both are likely to cause overheating at the fuse or connectors. You might the running new wire, heavier than factory around the suspect plug under the dash.
Alternate: Use the factory wiring to switch a relay to the fan or both fan and AC Clutch. Heavy wire (10ga) from 12V+ source, to new inline fuse, to the load side of relay, then on to the fan or clutch.

MB had a similar problem on W126 cars. In that case, the fuse generated heat and melted surrounding plastic. The factory solution was to pick up a 12v bus under the fuse panel, run a 10 ga wire (metric similar size) out to the inner fender where a one fuse box held a 25 amp fuse in place of the original 20 amp, then on to the fan.

Current situation in the driveway. Closest one needed the water pump replaced and rad cleaned out. Furthest one needed the belts replaced (gotta remove rad assembly to access) and is the one that I have been replacing the diff seals/bearings on. I unfortunately cracked the lower rad tank on it trying to remove the broken drain pipe, so I am waiting on a fella from Michigan to ship me a good used one.

1722520512167.png

Pic of the cracked tank

1722520578769.png
1722520610920.png

Current situation in the driveway. Closest one needed the water pump replaced and rad cleaned out. Furthest one needed the belts replaced (gotta remove rad assembly to access) and is the one that I have been replacing the diff seals/bearings on. I unfortunately cracked the lower rad tank on it trying to remove the broken drain pipe, so I am waiting on a fella from Michigan to ship me a good used one.

View attachment 1194425

Pic of the cracked tank

View attachment 1194427
View attachment 1194429
Changing belts is such a pain; I put on kevlar belt from offroadbelts.com so I will probably bever need to do it again. Good prices, reasonably quick shipping. no affiliation/usual disclaiimers. Just a happy customer. They seem to have belts for everything in stock, from B&D sander to cars and trucks, serpentine, cogged etc. II have never stumped them. I think the lower tank could be brazed and kept as a spare.

Changing belts is such a pain; I put on kevlar belt from offroadbelts.com so I will probably bever need to do it again. Good prices, reasonably quick shipping. no affiliation/usual disclaiimers. Just a happy customer. They seem to have belts for everything in stock, from B&D sander to cars and trucks, serpentine, cogged etc. II have never stumped them. I think the lower tank could be brazed and kept as a spare.
I will definitely check em out! Planning on sticking the cracked tank on a shelf for a just incase situation. The fab shop I use for work could also water jet out some plate steel pieces and I could just weld up a new one.

Was just to hot to be sitting at the swap meet and my Arctic cove mist fan stopped working battery is charged but it just stopped . IMG_8834.jpegClosed up around 1 got lunch and back to the hotel for a swim . Suppose to be cooler (92) tomorrow see how it goes .

Went and picked this up for the weekend
IMG_8833.jpeg

No mist but at least the air will move

Need some balance here after all the wood fotos:
Here's some balance for you, chicken thighs and freshly dug potatoes in cast-iron, under the broiler!

Resized-20240801-153449-S.jpg

SR

Blower fan and AC Clutch are both fairly high amp consumers. Both are likely to cause overheating at the fuse or connectors. You might the running new wire, heavier than factory around the suspect plug under the dash.
Alternate: Use the factory wiring to switch a relay to the fan or both fan and AC Clutch. Heavy wire (10ga) from 12V+ source, to new inline fuse, to the load side of relay, then on to the fan or clutch.

MB had a similar problem on W126 cars. In that case, the fuse generated heat and melted surrounding plastic. The factory solution was to pick up a 12v bus under the fuse panel, run a 10 ga wire (metric similar size) out to the inner fender where a one fuse box held a 25 amp fuse in place of the original 20 amp, then on to the fan.
as far as I can tell non of the hvac has any connection to the can bus wires, or shared power/ grounds with the abs, air bag or cluster modules. The ecu has independant wiring that signals the cooling fan to activate and compressor clutch to enguage. I'd like to think the correlation between running the ac/ high outdoor temps is coincidence, but i won't rule it out. It's an issue that's been on and off since it got hot out, and has happened without the ac on, but I've never been able to get home and get the laptop on it and start eliminating modules to see what changes.
I had thought of low voltage issues causing the issue, all the fuses, wiring are in good shape, short run to the fan controller too, and independent of the ecu and other models power and ground supply. The "battery" power distribution/fuse box is noted for getting overheated, however it's pretty new with heavier wiring coming from the alternator and new fuse strips.
Vcds faults seem to point to one of the 3 models taking a poop, or a wiring issue, not low voltage issues. Additionally, I don't have any faults on the engine can bus (different bus then the other modules use.)
If I have time when I have off I'll have to take the dash completely out to get at the "splice" where the 3 modules all connect before going to the cluster. The can bus wires exit the cluster then go to the ecu. It's a stupid set up, and there's a possibility all the issues are being caused by the cluster, which is its own can of worms if it needs replaced.
I did rule out all associated under hood wiring from the ecm to the fire wall connector. Cleaned up a bunch of unused wires from whoever did the manual swap, and removed all the power wires and can bus wires from the tcm, which removed several potential issues/failure points.
I appreciate anymore thoughts or ideas, being how infrequently it actually acts up I'm pretty stumped at this point, with less but more invasive things to check out.
So far the only good thing that's come from all this mess, is I'm pretty sure I figured out why the cruise control doesn't work. One of the clutch pedal switches isn't activating correctly, so the car thinks the clutch is pushed in all the time. (Yep, stupid design there too, 2 different switches, one for the starter and one for the cruise control)

Was just to hot to be sitting at the swap meet and my Arctic cove mist fan stopped working battery is charged but it just stopped . View attachment 1194508Closed up around 1 got lunch and back to the hotel for a swim . Suppose to be cooler (92) tomorrow see how it goes .

Went and picked this up for the weekend
View attachment 1194509

No mist but at least the air will move
We had a bit of rain come through an hour or so ago, knocked the humidity down pretty good. Still hotter then heck, but not as bad.

Too much
No rain here still hot
Not up this way. Look up St Johnsbury, Island Pond and Lyndonville, VT. Roads at camp washed out but we have propane for the fridge, food for a month and a 100 acre pond full of perch and bull pout with a river of brook trout within walking distance. Spring running 4 gallons a minute. Never seen it so strong.
Plus is we filled the wood shed from slash loggers left doing clear and select cuts. Maple and yellow birch. About half had to be split with my new Fiskars X25 splitting axe. That thing is a beauty.

Too much

Not up this way. Look up St Johnsbury, Island Pond and Lyndonville, VT. Roads at camp washed out but we have propane for the fridge, food for a month and a 100 acre pond full of perch and bull pout with a river of brook trout within walking distance. Spring running 4 gallons a minute. Never seen it so strong.
Plus is we filled the wood shed from slash loggers left doing clear and select cuts. Maple and yellow birch. About half had to be split with my new Fiskars X25 splitting axe. That thing is a beauty.
I saw some of the flood videos on the news yesterday my wife said there was heavy rain at home I’m in southern Pa at the moment

Back