Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
---never been into any team sports. In school I did weight lifting, gymnastics, etc but mostly I just went home and worked or did outdoors stuff. I did go to a hawks/celtics game once, back when the celtics had larry bird, etc. It was totally worth it to see spud webb of the hawks, simply the most amazing human athlete ever. He made all those giant guys look like crippled up lumbering dinosaurs. He was twice as fast and twice as nimble. To see a guy just two inches taller than me fly through the air and slam dunk..I mean, real life super hero action.

As to the campers, tell ya whut, that m1102 I got from morewood would be an ideal work/fun/camping combo unit. Open, use it for hauling wood or whatever cargo, want to go camping, throw the bows on with the army top or just cob something, tarp or whatever, stick in some camping gear and go. Well, I'd sweep it out first... Best of both worlds.

Wait a minute, isn't Spud Webb like 5' tall? Just kidding.

When did you get a M1102? You're really stepping up in the world. Something like this is all I'll need, for the summer at least:
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_ltt-hmt_trailer_m1101_m1102.php

There's a bunch of them at my National Guard unit. I don't think they'll notice if I take one.

Wait a minute, isn't Spud Webb like 5' tall? Just kidding.

When did you get a M1102? You're really stepping up in the world. Something like this is all I'll need, for the summer at least:
http://olive-drab.com/idphoto/id_photos_ltt-hmt_trailer_m1101_m1102.php

There's a bunch of them at my National Guard unit. I don't think they'll notice if I take one.

Spud is I think 5'7", I am 5-5. IIRC, his best move that game, I think Parrish? not sure, was watching spud, was blocking him near the basket, spud charges him, throws the ball between his legs, whips around him, catches it on the bounce going up, and..keeps flying through the air like dang batman and slams it. Jaw dropping unreal. I mean he gets like five feet off the floor and took over darn near 20 feet away something like that.

Trailer I got from member morewood here, he had some in the tradin post. He might have more, don't know. Your van you got now would haul it if you got the right L tube deal receiver hitch (suitable class plus extra strengthening at the frame), and/or put shorter tires in the trailer. You know how high they sit up with the military wheels. I haven't used mine yet, the truck for it (that has the same military tires) is sitting up the hill waiting for me to put an engine in it (next summer, had to do other vehicle maintenance costs first). The trailer has to sit level for it to work correctly with the surge brakes. Easy enough to do just with wheel/tire swap to match it to your van.

---never been into any team sports. In school I did weight lifting, gymnastics, etc but mostly I just went home and worked or did outdoors stuff. I did go to a hawks/celtics game once, back when the celtics had larry bird, etc. It was totally worth it to see spud webb of the hawks, simply the most amazing human athlete ever. He made all those giant guys look like crippled up lumbering dinosaurs. He was twice as fast and twice as nimble. To see a guy just two inches taller than me fly through the air and slam dunk..I mean, real life super hero action.

As to the campers, tell ya whut, that m1102 I got from morewood would be an ideal work/fun/camping combo unit. Open, use it for hauling wood or whatever cargo, want to go camping, throw the bows on with the army top or just cob something, tarp or whatever, stick in some camping gear and go. Well, I'd sweep it out first... Best of both worlds.

Spud was an outstanding athlete but Bird was a master of the game. I am prejudiced though as Bird grew up at French Lick, 40 minute drive from my hometown. Larry and his younger brother, Eddie I think, played High School ball in our gym many times. Larry remained a good ole small town boy all through his pro career. When he came home he would hang out at the same places as before his basketball fame. In those days I drove through French lick frequently and saw him a couple times jogging along the highway with his wife (she was about as tall as Spud). Drove past his house many times, nice ranch home, pool, nice pole barn, and full size basketball court. A unique guy.

Spud is I think 5'7", I am 5-5. IIRC, his best move that game, I think Parrish? not sure, was watching spud, was blocking him near the basket, spud charges him, throws the ball between his legs, whips around him, catches it on the bounce going up, and..keeps flying through the air like dang batman and slams it. Jaw dropping unreal. I mean he gets like five feet off the floor and took over darn near 20 feet away something like that.

Trailer I got from member morewood here, he had some in the tradin post. He might have more, don't know. Your van you got now would haul it if you got the right L tube deal receiver hitch (suitable class plus extra strengthening at the frame), and/or put shorter tires in the trailer. You know how high they sit up with the military wheels. I haven't used mine yet, the truck for it (that has the same military tires) is sitting up the hill waiting for me to put an engine in it (next summer, had to do other vehicle maintenance costs first). The trailer has to sit level for it to work correctly with the surge brakes. Easy enough to do just with wheel/tire swap to match it to your van.
So now you have two truck trailers? Link them up and make a firewood scrounging truck train.

Spud was an outstanding athlete but Bird was a master of the game. I am prejudiced though as Bird grew up at French Lick, 40 minute drive from my hometown. Larry and his younger brother, Eddie I think, played High School ball in our gym many times. Larry remained a good ole small town boy all through his pro career. When he came home he would hang out at the same places as before his basketball fame. In those days I drove through French lick frequently and saw him a couple times jogging along the highway with his wife (she was about as tall as Spud). Drove past his house many times, nice ranch home, pool, nice pole barn, and full size basketball court. A unique guy.

Oh heck ya, a dead shot too, always fairly..calm is the word. Professional. Sort of mosey over, look, shoot, swish.

Wait, you think working on import vehicles are easier? Holy hell. I can barely fit my hands in most engine bays these days. Don't know how mechanics do it. Dad used to have a early 70s Chevy truck. I could sit in the engine bay lol. No issues fixing just about anything as a shade tree mechanic.

It's easier bc you never actually have to work on em!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bird didn't have a pro athlete's body but his inside moves were second to none. His battles with Magic Johnson are legendary. Bird was so good that he ended up saying Magic was the better player. Sorry. I get a little wound up thinking of those days.

Was in the tree stand again this afternoon, and again, right before dark I saw 3 of them. They just stayed out of range, watched them for about 10 minutes before they must have winded me and one of them snorted, then they left.

I think I'll go up a different tree tomorrow, see if I can screw them up a bit. Season is almost over, but I'm still tryin!

Could have been worse, at least I saw them.

Was in the tree stand again this afternoon, and again, right before dark I saw 3 of them. They just stayed out of range, watched them for about 10 minutes before they must have winded me and one of them snorted, then they left.

I think I'll go up a different tree tomorrow, see if I can screw them up a bit. Season is almost over, but I'm still tryin!

Could have been worse, at least I saw them.

Was in the driver seat Wednesday evening, right before dark, only saw one, point blank range, watched him for .5 seconds, if he had broke wind I would have smelled it, couldn't leave soon enough for me.

Didn't have a choice, drove the same road again Thursday morning but got lucky and didn't see him again.

Could have been worse, he could have been a half second slower. Big buck, big rack, couldn't see his feet below my hood.

LOL. Good luck my friend on finding closure with your hunting season.

Today's lineup! Scrounging wood for next year at Grandma's house. Love when I have "recreational" cutting to do, it gives me the opportunity to run lots of saws when I'm not concerned with how fast I get the job done.

235f50315b3ee1a10bd92a0d3e8eae96.jpg

It's easier bc you never actually have to work on em!!!

I don't know, Ford has really stepped up their game lately. The American auto makers are finally building decent vehicles these days after decades of sub par products.

@nomad_archer isn't it funny men are supposed to be the tougher sex? Cut, split, and stack wood all day. Manual labor. Until recently, special operations only took men. Men with a head cold, look out. Total divas lol.

I don't know, Ford has really stepped up their game lately. The American auto makers are finally building decent vehicles these days after decades of sub par products.

@nomad_archer isn't it funny men are supposed to be the tougher sex? Cut, split, and stack wood all day. Manual labor. Until recently, special operations only took men. Men with a head cold, look out. Total divas lol.
When guys get sick we are useless. When women get sick they still do just about everything the usually do.

Had a fantastic day today!
Went to see these logs that I was told were 1 meter round. Yep..... 1 to 1.2 Meters or 4 feet thick, and there is 40 feet of it for the taking.
The lady that owns the place is one of those genuinely fantastic people!
79 years old, tells me her husband dies last year and apparently she cut up the rest of the tree, and I wouldn't put it past her! Told me she was raised in the north of Western Australia on a massive property and that country is hard!
When I turned up she said, "Oh good, your young and strong...... Do you have a large saw?"
Apparently others had come to look but driven off with their tails between their legs.
Every time I turned around she was videoing me on her phone or trying to help by hitting in wedges. In the end I told her I loved the fact that she wanted to help but I really didn't want to injure her if the saw threw a chain or something. I would never forgive myself. She smiled, patted me on the shoulder and said, your right....I will go spray some weeds. I recon if I turned my back she would have had my 066 Magnum buried in timber!!!

Cut some slabs, but hot sure how to treat them to avoid cracking....... anyone got any ideas?

View attachment 469557

View attachment 469558

View attachment 469559

View attachment 469560

View attachment 469561

View attachment 469562

I could only get 2/3 of what I cut in my trailer, but was very glad to see it stacked out the back to dry out further.
Bloody heavy lifting.
I will be going back for the rest, and more :)

View attachment 469563

Pretty cool stuff there

Back