Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” .. Thomas Jefferson. Perhaps we can learn from the past, but maybe not ...
That's true. I can see the whole give them an inch and they take a mile. It's a predicament with no easy solution

You have a Hilux!? Pics! Or are there pics on this thread already? Sucks being relegated to a phone.
I want a Hilux bad ever since I saw that Top Gear episode where they try to kill it. Not that this is a PC view but it's the vehicle of choice for terrorist in distant lands so they are battle tested
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Do you ford rivers with that thing? I want one of those trucks!

You can still find a lot of 80s Japanese trucks down here, they don't rust all out bad like they did up north (well, some, mine is rusty, but a lot aren't). In fact I saw a old yota one ton dually yesterday. Now any of the diesel models are rarer, but still a ton of gassers, 2wd and 4wd.

edit: like here is one, no pics though and I think his asking price is high, but they still exist

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/5351242343.html

It'd be REALLY cool if the Hilux still came with the solid front axle. I had an '84 that was rated "1 ton" and that truck was truly unbreakable.

EDIT: Except for the frame. That b*tch was rusty. I broke it twice haha. :dumb:
Damn it, the Hilux has IFS now? Guess that would still work but puts a damper on my excitement. Although, how can millions of Chevy trucks be wrong.

You can still find a lot of 80s Japanese trucks down here, they don't rust all out bad like they did up north (well, some, mine is rusty, but a lot aren't). In fact I saw a old yota one ton dually yesterday. Now any of the diesel models are rarer, but still a ton of gassers, 2wd and 4wd.

edit: like here is one, no pics though and I think his asking price is high, but they still exist

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/5351242343.html
You know, I've never seen a 1 ton Toyota dually. Actually, don't recall ever seeing full sized asian made trucks.

There is an old tacoma sized toyota rolling around here that is a flat bed dually. No clue as to what ist rating is but it sure did confuse me the first time i saw it. :confused:
There is a guy around here that took one of those asian minitruck campers and pulled the camper off. He enclosed the back of the cab with plywood and built a flatbed. Craziest looking thing I have ever seen. I will post a pic if I can find one.

Damn it, the Hilux has IFS now? Guess that would still work but puts a damper on my excitement. Although, how can millions of Chevy trucks be wrong.

You know, I've never seen a 1 ton Toyota dually. Actually, don't recall ever seeing full sized asian made trucks.

The 80s Japanese "one tons" were the same size as the non duallies. They aren't big. Datsun had one, too.

The 80s Japanese "one tons" were the same size as the non duallies. They aren't big. Datsun had one, too.
That makes sense. I heard in other partd of the world what we call mid sized trucks are actually full sized. Not sure if that's our bigger is better culture or if we really need the huge beasts I see on the roads

That makes sense. I heard in other partd of the world what we call mid sized trucks are actually full sized. Not sure if that's our bigger is better culture or if we really need the huge beasts I see on the roads

There are several reasons our pickups are so much bigger.

For one, in the US, trailers are biased for more weight on the drawbar, which increases stability at speed. In other countries, they put much less weight on the drawbar, and just lower the speed limit for vehicles towing trailers. In order to stabilize the trailer, the truck needs to be heavier, and have a longer wheelbase in the US.

Second, longer wheelbases allow for better ride quality. To scale up the entire vehicle, it gets wider and taller.

Third, we have the room for them, and when trucks were being developed, we had our own oil to refine, so we could afford to have bigger trucks that burn more fuel.

lol. I know the older Ranger V6s were freaking gutless. The V6s in the current smaller trucks have some grunt but mileage isn't great.

Seems like all vehicles are getting bigger and bigger.

The guy next door tells me his full size V-8 4X4 gets the same mileage as his Ranger V-6 4X4, so why bother?

They are making gains on some. The vacation I took through your back yard a couple months ago was in a new Dodge Ram 1500, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi. We went 3200 miles, averaged 21 mpg and that Hemi is no slouch. It pulls a 28' camper good too.

The guy next door tells me his full size V-8 4X4 gets the same mileage as his Ranger V-6 4X4, so why bother?

lol. I know the older Ranger V6s were freaking gutless. The V6s in the current smaller trucks have some grunt but mileage isn't great.

Seems like all vehicles are getting bigger and bigger.

Remember when the Tundra was not a compact but not a fullsize?

Multi Quote time....

Mike my 4.0 V6 gets 18-20 highway when its at its best. I am seeing the new fullsize v8's are getting similar mileage with more cargo capacity and room. I am seriously considering going full size 4 door with a 6ft bed on the next truck.

Ambull the 4.0 V6 in my tacoma has plenty of balls and had never left me wishing it had more power even when maxed out with a load of wood in the bed and some on a trailer.

Svk the old tundra's are just slightly bigger than the second gen tacoma's. The new tundras are massive. A guy in my neighborhood has one and it is a freaking sharp looking truck.

Latest posts

Back