Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the specs on your chain box. I believe 30 is correct for most Stihl Round File, semi chisel s/b 0, but full chisel I believe is 10.

Again, check the box your chain came in, or look it up on line. Or you can just match what is on a new chain.

Can't scrounge if you don't file. This has been a friendly thread, and we should keep it that way.

I wish Clint (who started this thread) were still posting, I don't have a good feeling regarding his disappearance from this thread.

There are lots of threads about sharpening, and lots of different ideas. People disagree about the 'best' angles for different applications. The filing guides mentioned only help you get the angles you choose. Good idea to search for and read some of those threads.

Back to scrounging, I was out walking the dog and I saw this about a block from my house. Good thing that my garage is already full, or I would have to do a whole bunch of fast, night work.

Philbert
image.jpg

There are lots of threads about sharpening, and lots of different ideas. People disagree about the 'best' angles for different applications. The filing guides mentioned only help you get the angles you choose. Good idea to search for and read some of those threads.

Back to scrounging, I was out walking the dog and I saw this about a block from my house. Good thing that my garage is already full, or I would have to do a whole bunch of fast, night work.

Philbert

Do you have a trailer? You could always scrounge a trailer full, split it, restack in the trailer, keep it in there, run a CL ad, and sell it. Lather, rinse, repeat.

give ya a few bucks and some trigger time.

Not sure if the scale is clear Zog, but those are noodle-in-place size pieces. I would need a decent sized hoist to snatch and run!

If I really needed it I would ask for permission and for them to delay the pick up as long as possible.

Philbert

Can't scrounge if you don't file. This has been a friendly thread, and we should keep it that way.

I wish Clint (who started this thread) were still posting, I don't have a good feeling regarding his disappearance from this thread.

Yup , on all counts .

Neighbor asked if I would be willing to drop this tree just for the firewood.

It's a dead oak tree I'm pretty sure. I only have a 20" bar, but I think it's enough. I burn mostly softwoods because that's what I have access too. I've NEVER burned oak before.

He also has several large dead standing red pines I've been gifted.

image.jpg

havent done much cutting or splitting this last week. but Im on vacation next week so i think ill do some adding to the stack then. Ill be building a new woodshed so im looking at some ideas as to how i want to build it. just as big as possible :D

It's a dead oak tree I'm pretty sure. I only have a 20" bar, but I think it's enough. I burn mostly softwoods because that's what I have access too. I've NEVER burned oak before.

View attachment 360625
oak is awesome get every piece you can out of it and 20'' will be fine

View attachment 360625

Oak is very heavy and Hard, but will burn very well (high BTUs) if you let it dry. If your 20" bar is not as wide as the tree, add some side cuts after you make the notch. Make sure you have a good notch, I like to use a Masdaan rope puller to coax things along if the tree does not have an obvious lean.

Good Luck, Oak is worth the work. Also, always wear a helmet if there are dead branches above (always a good idea when dropping trees). Sooner of later, something unexpected will happen, be ready. Wedges are also often very handy to have around. I also often use them when cutting the stump low so the bar does not get pinched.

Latest posts

Back