Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
countys states fed own from center of road to 50 ft either side

LOL! makes me think of flouting the smoking rules in high school. We used to smoke at the curb waiting for the voc bus at mid-day. Admins couldn't bust us for this reason.

However, in ruraler areas, towns often built roads thru existing lots via eminent domain. In some cases, landowners retain rights to fallen trees in that area. My neighbor for ex, owns up to the road, under the road, but not the road itself. One might get shot picking a dingleberry off from a roadkill muskrat on the curb

I am way behind on this years cutting.
It is 54 Degrees this morning in North Alabama. In July no less.
Sunny, Dry, with a slight wind. Hi supposed to be 80.
Here I am stuck at work. Most likely, I will spend the day trying to convence
a developer that it is NOT a good ldea for him build his building 5' from a High Voltage power line.

Last night, The wife has informed me that we will be gone this weekend and next weekend.
She wants to go see family that lives far, far away.

David

Right now, I am driving by piles of wood every morning just wishing I could find the time to go cut up some of the logs. In my area, we are still cleaning up from the tornado we had in April.

My neighbors need trees cut off of root-balls so that the logs can be pulled out to the curb so the county can haul them off. It is a scroungers paradise!

It would just make you sick to see the piles of logs (good firewood) just getting burned. It is crazy!

I am way behind on this years cutting.
It is 54 Degrees this morning in North Alabama. In July no less.
Sunny, Dry, with a slight wind. Hi supposed to be 80.
Here I am stuck at work. Most likely, I will spend the day trying to convence
a developer that it is NOT a good ldea for him build his building 5' from a High Voltage power line.

Last night, The wife has informed me that we will be gone this weekend and next weekend.
She wants to go see family that lives far, far away.

David

Here, I'll make ya feel better, it is too windy to fell today. Too much sail area with the trees with the leaves on them. Ya, it is cool, but too windy to drop 'em safely.

Right now, I am driving by piles of wood every morning just wishing I could find the time to go cut up some of the logs. In my area, we are still cleaning up from the tornado we had in April.

My neighbors need trees cut off of root-balls so that the logs can be pulled out to the curb so the county can haul them off. It is a scroungers paradise!

It would just make you sick to see the piles of logs (good firewood) just getting burned. It is crazy!

Maybe buy individual good logs, spray paint mark them. tell the owners you will get to them when you can, maybe half down, half when you come get the wood?

Maybe buy individual good logs, spray paint mark them. tell the owners you will get to them when you can, maybe half down, half when you come get the wood?

At this point, it is all free wood. People in the area where I live just want it gone. Most of the property is forested and they are trying to get the property back to normal as soon as possible. The amount of wood still on the ground would blow your mind. There is a bunch of pine down, but there are many hardwood trees as well. The problem is that in some areas the terrain is pretty steep and it is difficult/dangerous to get any wood in those areas. Time is the enemy because you have to go get it ASAP or it will be burned or hauled off to some dump/landfill. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow and show what I am talking about.

My main issue is that Mrs. Weld thinks we have enough firewood and keeps finding other things for me to do! I am getting close to have enough for 2 seasons. :D

At this point, it is all free wood. People in the area where I live just want it gone. They are trying to get the property back to normal. The amount of wood still on the ground would blow your mind. There is a bunch of pine down, but there are many hardwood trees as well. The problem is that the terrain is pretty steep and it is difficult/dangerous to get any wood in some areas. Time is the enemy because you have to go get it ASAP or it will be burned or hauled off to some dump/landfill. I will try and take some pictures tomorrow and show what I am talking about.

I believe you, we got hit with tornadoes in 2010 and 11. Lead me to become an active member here and get more saws, that's for sure. I was still burning tornado wood last winter, and still have around..hmm..2/3rds of a cord of tornado downed hickory heartwood left. That's the cookwood I am trying to move right now. Also still have a buncha the outside slabwood from that hickory in the stacks for the next few years, all mixed in. I was innundated with wood to cut, actually just let a huge amount in the woods ooze back into the swamp.

I hear you Zogger:
The tornado of 2011 passed 2 miles South of the House.
Cut tornado wood for most of a year out around cow pastures and farm fields.
Most of what I cut was "Flat on the Ground."
The ones held off the ground by limbs I left thinking they would "keep" better.
Here come the dozers and then the brush pile fires. It is all gone now.
From now on it going to be easy pickings first in tornado wood.
Well, Except for what might be in someones yard. That's different.

BTW. The wind is not blowing that hard here..........

David

I hear you Zogger:
The tornado of 2011 passed 2 miles South of the House.
Cut tornado wood for most of a year out around cow pastures and farm fields.
Most of what I cut was "Flat on the Ground."
The ones held off the ground by limbs I left thinking they would "keep" better.
Here come the dozers and then the brush pile fires. It is all gone now.
From now on it going to be easy pickings first in tornado wood.
Well, Except for what might be in someones yard. That's different.

BTW. The wind is not blowing that hard here..........

David

Here, the 2010 one creamed the cabin with a huge oak branch, about squished us, plus blowdowns here and there, then that big outbreak in spring 2011 went close by, a few hundred yards, and smashed several planes here at the airport I mow. As well as other localized damage and more blowdowns.

Back country hills are all picked clean around my neck of the woods. If you haven't got your allotment by June, you're SOL until the next logging outfit starts up after fire season ends sometime in the Fall. I'm still working on clearing up my yard and splitting all the rounds. Another couple of weeks if not all of August at the pace I'm going. It's hot out there!

I've been slack this summer , busy with local hard to get to beaches .

IMG_20140726_142053.jpg

IMG_20140727_115013.jpg

IMG_20140727_184738.jpg

Scroungin for supper

IMG_20140727_121859.jpg

IMG_20140727_171658.jpg

IMG_20140727_145454.jpg

IMG_20140727_201516.jpg

So I thought I'd better get back in the swing of things before I get soft .
Sure is nice when you get a key to a gated road :)

usnDUQGVEQdYJl4yU8khi1d3Ocl26VYG507I4_jB1HU=w723-h824-no

IMG_20140803_163922.jpg

IMG_20140803_170614.jpg

I cut and drug out a small load from a blowdown in the tree line , I'll be happy when winter gets here , no deer flies , a lot less sweat and the Ronco woodhauler works well with snow LOL

Turn up the heat in that buggy, and all of you wood might be seasoned by the time you get home . . .

Philbert

An old semi type trailer would be good for wood storage and drying, plus, designed to handle the weight with a forklift or pallet jack. Sitting out in the sun, those things get *hot* inside. Coupla vents high and low, done.

photo (3).JPG

This is the rest of the red oak tree I got last weekend. It was too close to some power lines, so the homeowner hired a pro to come drop what was left. This is most of it. I still have to cut up the one remaining trunk piece, but I ran out of steam and put that off 'till next weekend. Whew!

Anybody want to guess how much will result after splitting? I have a pretty good idea based on history of loading the Suburban and then splitting to see the results...

This was definitely my best score ever. I've never gotten so much oak at one time, or any other wood for that matter possibly. Not only that, but I went to a neighbor (old widow) with the homeowner because she had some trees that needed to come down but no longer has the funds. He's worried they'll come down and damage something she can't take care of, so he wants to help her. He asked if I'd drop them, but I declined (I know my limits!). He then asked If I'd take the wood if he hired a guy to come drop them and pile the brush and leave the logs for me. SCORE! There's one dead elm and two leaning oaks involved. Being near other trees, particularly some fruit trees she cherishes, I wasn't willing to risk getting in over my head, but WOW did this work out! We'll do this in the Fall to wait until her garden is done to use it for a burn area. They'll do all the work and clean up and I just have to buck and haul off! This is what comes from luck, but also from doing what you say you'll do in terms of timing of getting the wood and cleaning up after yourself. Be good and be honest!

Lucky me...

Latest posts

Back