Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, you driving 😆.

They do transform your car to real fun! Equally important to improve the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. so it all works together.

I gave one of my slightly older Muscle Car friends (who is also in the Fish & Game club with me) a ride in my Mustang a few years ago.

He said: "It feels just like a built old fashion big block". (In addition to several Vettes, he also had a 66 GTO with an L-88 engine in it).

He ended up buying a Whipple for his modern Camaro and loves it ... says he just doesn't bother driving his Viper anymore!

I still drive the Mustang almost every day (weather permitting) and I have to say it is about the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned ... even with all the modifications!

Had a busy but fun weekend here. My middle boy had his 8th birthday party. That took up a good part of my Saturday. Yesterday I finally was able to use my new to me toy. 20240603_115659.jpg
It's a wee bit used but it still works. It is definitely a game changer. I was able to pull trees from a spot that was way too wet after the 4" of rain we got last week. I also did some food plot work. I broadcast buckwheat into the winter rye then rolled and sprayed the rye. The plan is to terminate the buckwheat in August and plant a brassica mix. I haven't put a tiller in the ground yet and it seems to be working. Time will tell.

Had a busy but fun weekend here. My middle boy had his 8th birthday party. That took up a good part of my Saturday. Yesterday I finally was able to use my new to me toy. View attachment 1181631
It's a wee bit used but it still works. It is definitely a game changer. I was able to pull trees from a spot that was way too wet after the 4" of rain we got last week. I also did some food plot work. I broadcast buckwheat into the winter rye then rolled and sprayed the rye. The plan is to terminate the buckwheat in August and plant a brassica mix. I haven't put a tiller in the ground yet and it seems to be working. Time will tell.
Best thing I've added to my tractor so far. 👍

Supper time here,

Asparagus, onions, potatoes, carrots and garlic along with some spices all sauteed in CI,

Resized-20240603-171745-S.jpg

SR

Well, my plans for the day changed a bit. I was expecting to be doing the bulk of the woring for the shop today, but my buddy had an emergency, so we tentatively rescheduled for the next time we both have off in 2 weeks. Nit gonna lie, this really killed my motivation and forced me back to tin work. I started this morning a quick trip to lowes to grab some low expanding foam for around the windows. Got home and filled up the gaps. Got out that copper green stuff (got the brown colored version.) And started in on all the oak beams that are going to be semi exposed to the elements. Man that stuff stinks. Got 2 coats on then started on the tin. Some how, I'm short on window trim..... again.... pretty much gave up for the night. Guess I'll be running for some tomorrow morning.
Just at the point where I want this darn project done.

Attachments

• 20240603_204059.jpg
    20240603_204059.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240603_204039.jpg
    20240603_204039.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
They do transform your car to real fun! Equally important to improve the suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, etc. so it all works together.

I gave one of my slightly older Muscle Car friends (who is also in the Fish & Game club with me) a ride in my Mustang a few years ago.

He said: "It feels just like a built old fashion big block". (In addition to several Vettes, he also had a 66 GTO with an L-88 engine in it).

He ended up buying a Whipple for his modern Camaro and loves it ... says he just doesn't bother driving his Viper anymore!

I still drive the Mustang almost every day (weather permitting) and I have to say it is about the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned ... even with all the modifications!
It is a nice smooth power, I bet that stang gets up nicely.
They make them for my excursion lol.
Been looking to replace my old mini van and the camry, I hate rust so its a long search here in the rust belt. I've found couple subarus that were turboed, unfortunately they had auto transmissions.
Hopefully I'll be posting some pics of a new ride in the near future.
Had a busy but fun weekend here. My middle boy had his 8th birthday party. That took up a good part of my Saturday. Yesterday I finally was able to use my new to me toy. View attachment 1181631
Tell your boy happy birthday from MI.
The winch is a game changer for sure. I've got a 9-10" tree leaning over a garage I need to pull away from it in the near future. Hopefully I can get a good video of it, tasks like that the skidding winch makes light work of.
Well, my plans for the day changed a bit. I was expecting to be doing the bulk of the woring for the shop today, but my buddy had an emergency, so we tentatively rescheduled for the next time we both have off in 2 weeks. Nit gonna lie, this really killed my motivation and forced me back to tin work. I started this morning a quick trip to lowes to grab some low expanding foam for around the windows. Got home and filled up the gaps. Got out that copper green stuff (got the brown colored version.) And started in on all the oak beams that are going to be semi exposed to the elements. Man that stuff stinks. Got 2 coats on then started on the tin. Some how, I'm short on window trim..... again.... pretty much gave up for the night. Guess I'll be running for some tomorrow morning.
Just at the point where I want this darn project done.
Looking good Sean.
Putting the numbers together for running the 100amp service panel on the west wall of the main in mine :envy:. Sure looking forward to having the welders and the lift all hooked up, also some lightning would be nice, but that's a bit down the rd.

Been there! I had a car years ago that drained the oil onto a cross member... I made a rather flat aluminum "log flume" to get the oil over it but it was still a messy job as the initial flow typically spilled over. It's not an issue limited to automobiles... Over the years most of the family owned outdoor power equipment (garden tractors, zero turn mowers. walk behind mower, and snow blowers) I've serviced have had a similar issue... including my 7 month old Ferris walk behind mower. An accessory $50+ oil drain hose is available for the Ferris and when I serviced the mower yesterday I much appreciated having it as the first service was a disaster. 🤣
I just changed the oil on our "new-to-us" 07' Chevy Colorado for the first time last night. The oil filter sits foolishly above the front crossmember. But there is a little plastic flume bolted to the cross member. Works great but drips for a bit after you are done.

It is a nice smooth power, I bet that stang gets up nicely.
Yes, and luckily, I got mine when Ford Performance was doing the tune ... so it is 50 State emissions legal and factory smooth!

Also, the 4.6L in that style Mustang was the first V-8 in a Mustang with multiple valves (3) and VCT, which really help the SC show its potential.

The kit is well thought out and complete, including new heat range spark plugs (very hard to find), improved injectors, better fuel pump and changes to the knock sensors.

While they are not cheap, they give you more HP per $ than any other modification. I also like that, unlike turbos or centrifugal SCs, the SC has its own oil, so it does not degrade or heat your engine oil. Oil change interval for the SC is 100,000 miles!

Good morning guys. Guess I haven't been around here since Friday morning.

Whirlwind weekend for us. Second son graduated Friday night. Saturday had two loads to the dump, miscellaneous other chores, three grad parties (missed two others due to everything happening at the same time), and then helped the boys mow lawns. Also got rid of the old motor from my project boat. 84' 35 hp Merc, was never a very impressive motor (slow for it's HP and also problematic) so I did not feel too bad parting ways with it.

Sunday we installed a new flagpole that our Lions club had donated to the city park, many more projects at home, and then dinner with some dear friends who have been snowbirds for the past 30 years and are moving to Arizona year round because keeping two houses is getting too much for them (they are 87 and 89). They will still visit up here in the summer, just not keep a house any more.

More work and projects yesterday and today. Long day on the road tomorrow with meetings across central MN. Friday our annual town festival starts so we will be pigging out on fair food all weekend.

Was supposed to go camping next Monday through Friday but that is probably not happening considering the boat I am working on is far from completed and that is what I was planning on taking. May do a shorter trip though with canoe or other boat.

Got a new small trailer. If I take my JD X738 with a 60" deck on it to WV, on my dump trailer, it pulls my milage down from 19-21 MPG to 10-12 MPG. Used my friends little landscape trailer with my old JD X540 with 54" deck and it still got 17-18 MPG. The 60" deck wont fit on the little trailer.

There was an enclosed trailer at an auction that I wanted, but the doors were not mounted on the corners, but about 6" in on the sides, so my deck wouldn't fit. Next to it was this little Worthington all Aluminum Tilt Bed trailer. I put my tape on it, and it looked like it was about half an inch too narrow. Then I noticed the sides came off, and my tractor would fit! Got it home a little bit ago, tilted the deck up, and pulled the X738 with blade and mower on, and didn't scrape the sides, with them still on the trailer. I'm a happy camper. It has a 3000 GVW so if I don't take the mower, I can bring back a pretty good jag of White Oak. I had about 20 big White Oaks go down in a storm last year.
DG1nYgZ.jpg

wHov0tD.jpg

yLiSIAw.jpg

AMj6DkI.jpg

Looking good Sean.
Putting the numbers together for running the 100amp service panel on the west wall of the main in mine :envy:. Sure looking forward to having the welders and the lift all hooked up, also some lightning would be nice, but that's a bit down the rd.

I may have already sent you this link, but this is usually where I purchase cable from. Cheapest I've found.
https://nassaunationalcable.com/

sounds like a solar lease. The local ordinances may have something to do with how big of a system they put in + roi for them.
I chose an off-grid system for my camp/garage for a number of reasons.. It has been a lot of work,, and there still is more to do.. While doing my site work I put conduit in the ground. 250'.. The power company still wanted more than $7K for one pole, transformer and meter... As it stands now, I have $13.5 in it.. Never to receive a bill.. It ain't cheap.. But it's nice. If needed I can charge of a gen..

Attachments

• 20240423_200901.jpg
    20240423_200901.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240303_152828.jpg
    20240303_152828.jpg
    10.4 MB · Views: 0
Howdy folks, been a while as I've been busy with a few projects in town and out at the lake. My parents wanted a covering over their back deck. I decided it would be best not to tie it into the house as the deck isn't either.
Messenger_creation_b9df3cb2-c022-4a75-aecf-99d128181d32.jpeg
20240601_142259.jpg
Out at the lake, my truck got into a little scrap with the raised well cap. We had just had it excavated and I needed to back a travel trailer close to it. Apparently the ground was still quite soft... I sunk in, heard an awful crunch, and came out of the situation with a beautiful mark on my passenger door.
20240531_150834.jpg
Luckily I found a color matched panel at a nearby salvage yard. They also had a color matched tailgate to replace my current one which was getting pretty rusty at the bottom. Scrounged both panels for about 600 bucks. Now I get to have lots of fun with heat guns, goo gone, and plastic scrapers rebadging them. I was surprised at how heavy these doors are, but it can be done as a one man operation with careful placement of a chair and some books as shims LOL.
20240531_093005.jpg
I also managed to sneak a bit of fishing in (as per usual)
Messenger_creation_71a497e8-d0b3-4a21-a354-3dc9b88ffdb7.jpeg
20240519_212844.jpg

Good morning guys. Guess I haven't been around here since Friday morning.

Whirlwind weekend for us. Second son graduated Friday night. Saturday had two loads to the dump, miscellaneous other chores, three grad parties (missed two others due to everything happening at the same time), and then helped the boys mow lawns. Also got rid of the old motor from my project boat. 84' 35 hp Merc, was never a very impressive motor (slow for it's HP and also problematic) so I did not feel too bad parting ways with it.

Sunday we installed a new flagpole that our Lions club had donated to the city park, many more projects at home, and then dinner with some dear friends who have been snowbirds for the past 30 years and are moving to Arizona year round because keeping two houses is getting too much for them (they are 87 and 89). They will still visit up here in the summer, just not keep a house any more.

More work and projects yesterday and today. Long day on the road tomorrow with meetings across central MN. Friday our annual town festival starts so we will be pigging out on fair food all weekend.

Was supposed to go camping next Monday through Friday but that is probably not happening considering the boat I am working on is far from completed and that is what I was planning on taking. May do a shorter trip though with canoe or other boat.
Tell the boy congrats 👏.
We've been doing the hard partying too lol. The hardest thing is picking which ones to go to.
Did you say boats :laugh:, hope noone was hurt.

Got a new small trailer. If I take my JD X738 with a 60" deck on it to WV, on my dump trailer, it pulls my milage down from 19-21 MPG to 10-12 MPG. Used my friends little landscape trailer with my old JD X540 with 54" deck and it still got 17-18 MPG. The 60" deck wont fit on the little trailer.

There was an enclosed trailer at an auction that I wanted, but the doors were not mounted on the corners, but about 6" in on the sides, so my deck wouldn't fit. Next to it was this little Worthington all Aluminum Tilt Bed trailer. I put my tape on it, and it looked like it was about half an inch too narrow. Then I noticed the sides came off, and my tractor would fit! Got it home a little bit ago, tilted the deck up, and pulled the X738 with blade and mower on, and didn't scrape the sides, with them still on the trailer. I'm a happy camper. It has a 3000 GVW so if I don't take the mower, I can bring back a pretty good jag of White Oak. I had about 20 big White Oaks go down in a storm last year.
DG1nYgZ.jpg

wHov0tD.jpg

yLiSIAw.jpg

AMj6DkI.jpg
I often miss my old aluminum 6.5x12. It was great for hauling a splitter, a single quad, or a mower. You could load them up and then pull them to the front of the trailer, flip the ramp down behind them and then strap them down, little to no air resistance and it was crazy light and the torsion axle/suspension was smooth with that type of weight.
20160930_155524.jpg

Would be nice to find another like it for sure. It hauled a good bit of weight if needed too.

1455131552778.jpg

The 20' aluminum trailer paid for itself and made me plenty of money on top of that, but I'd rather have a steel trailer in that size, especially if it's only a 7k trailer. Now I'll probably buy another one because the price is so good 😆, oh well. I do have my eyes on another 20' steel trailer that's rated for 10k, always good to have a backup.

20170831_125332.jpg

Latest posts

Back