Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a busy but fun weekend here. My middle boy had his 8th birthday party. That took up a good part of my Saturday. Yesterday I finally was able to use my new to me toy. View attachment 1181631
It's a wee bit used but it still works. It is definitely a game changer. I was able to pull trees from a spot that was way too wet after the 4" of rain we got last week. I also did some food plot work. I broadcast buckwheat into the winter rye then rolled and sprayed the rye. The plan is to terminate the buckwheat in August and plant a brassica mix. I haven't put a tiller in the ground yet and it seems to be working. Time will tell.
Nice addition to your tractor. I love my logging winch for those hard to get to trees.

I chose an off-grid system for my camp/garage for a number of reasons.. It has been a lot of work,, and there still is more to do.. While doing my site work I put conduit in the ground. 250'.. The power company still wanted more than $7K for one pole, transformer and meter... As it stands now, I have $13.5 in it.. Never to receive a bill.. It ain't cheap.. But it's nice. If needed I can charge of a gen..
What is the capacity of your system?

Nice to unplug . Sitting down to lunch in Lincoln NH. At the beginning of the Kancamagus highway .
I love that road on my motorcycle.

On another note I finally installed my new Husky toolbox under my workbench minus the wheels. I did have to prop up the bench 3/4" to clear my grinder, vise and polisher mountng bolts. This morning I hit a HD 50 miles away to pickup an International 10 drawer toolbox that is identical in every way to the Husky I just bought. These were closeout boxes. With a new HD credit card I got it for $50 cheaper plus the $150 off. I was going to buy 2 of these today. This box was the last one in stock anywhere at any HD according to their Customer Service Dept.

Attachments

• 20240604_154954.jpg
    20240604_154954.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240604_175328.jpg
    20240604_175328.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240604_175415.jpg
    20240604_175415.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
It is a nice smooth power, I bet that stang gets up nicely.
They make them for my excursion lol.
Been looking to replace my old mini van and the camry, I hate rust so its a long search here in the rust belt. I've found couple subarus that were turboed, unfortunately they had auto transmissions.
Hopefully I'll be posting some pics of a new ride in the near future.

Tell your boy happy birthday from MI.
The winch is a game changer for sure. I've got a 9-10" tree leaning over a garage I need to pull away from it in the near future. Hopefully I can get a good video of it, tasks like that the skidding winch makes light work of.

Looking good Sean.
Putting the numbers together for running the 100amp service panel on the west wall of the main in mine :envy:. Sure looking forward to having the welders and the lift all hooked up, also some lightning would be nice, but that's a bit down the rd.
yep, shops turning into an endless money pit. Wiring is crazy expensive these days. Sure will be nice to have a few lights and be able to weld in the shop without running the generator. I actually need to take a break and recoup funds for a bit. We're full swing into kids birthdays now. Have 2 nieces birthdays the next 2 weekends, then skip a weekend and my daughters birthday. Then we have a birthday every, or every other weekend till October. Gets expensive. Doesn't help save money lol. I'll get there eventually.
I chose an off-grid system for my camp/garage for a number of reasons.. It has been a lot of work,, and there still is more to do.. While doing my site work I put conduit in the ground. 250'.. The power company still wanted more than $7K for one pole, transformer and meter... As it stands now, I have $13.5 in it.. Never to receive a bill.. It ain't cheap.. But it's nice. If needed I can charge of a gen..
Nice, I have a hallucination of doing a small diy set up on the shop eventually, probably grid tie like the house.

Good morning guys. Figured I would just post up some progress pictures on the boat project I’m working on. (Gotta keep some “other stuff” in the thread.)

To make a very long story short, this was my father’s fishing boat. I sold it after he passed and regretted it very soon afterwards. I had mentioned several times to the friend that I sold it to that I would like the opportunity to buy it back should he ever not want it. One day last August he called me up and said I could have it. The main Merc motor has always been very problematic so I removed that. I removed the console steering, but saved it in case we ever find another console motor. The next step was fabricating canoe rack mounts. After those were done, we drilled mounting holes and then marked everything up to the seats. Then I removed the seats and sanded them down. The next step was applying spar varnish. My Sauna makes a very nice paint booth and once all the coats are on (the last bench needs one more coat), I will do a number of light heat cycles to help cure the varnish.

From there we will reinstall the benches. I also have steel backing plates that go underneath the benches with welded on nuts so we can remove the rack bases if needed. Once everything is back together, we’ll head back to the welding shop to fit the canoe racks themselves. I also have a newer motor that seems to run great but needs a new water impeller. That will be my next project.
IMG_8808.jpeg

IMG_8816.jpegIMG_8819.jpegIMG_8848.jpegIMG_8917.jpegIMG_9019.jpegIMG_9020.jpegIMG_9103.jpeg

Good morning guys. Figured I would just post up some progress pictures on the boat project I’m working on. (Gotta keep some “other stuff” in the thread.)

To make a very long story short, this was my father’s fishing boat. I sold it after he passed and regretted it very soon afterwards. I had mentioned several times to the friend that I sold it to that I would like the opportunity to buy it back should he ever not want it. One day last August he called me up and said I could have it. The main Merc motor has always been very problematic so I removed that. I removed the console steering, but saved it in case we ever find another console motor. The next step was fabricating canoe rack mounts. After those were done, we drilled mounting holes and then marked everything up to the seats. Then I removed the seats and sanded them down. The next step was applying spar varnish. My Sauna makes a very nice paint booth and once all the coats are on (the last bench needs one more coat), I will do a number of light heat cycles to help cure the varnish.

From there we will reinstall the benches. I also have steel backing plates that go underneath the benches with welded on nuts so we can remove the rack bases if needed. Once everything is back together, we’ll head back to the welding shop to fit the canoe racks themselves. I also have a newer motor that seems to run great but needs a new water impeller. That will be my next project.
View attachment 1182049

View attachment 1182023View attachment 1182024View attachment 1182025View attachment 1182026View attachment 1182027View attachment 1182028View attachment 1182029
Nice boat! It looks like it would handle well in choppy water. I'm interested to hear more about the canoe rack mounts. Are you carrying a canoe out with you on your fishing boat?? I've never seen anything like it.

Nice boat! It looks like it would handle well in choppy water. I'm interested to hear more about the canoe rack mounts. Are you carrying a canoe out with you on your fishing boat?? I've never seen anything like it.
Yes. If you can find a large 16 foot boat or larger you can carry a couple of canoes on it. Obviously need to be careful in windy conditions.

Not too many private parties have their own towboat, but all of the outfitters use towboats to get canoeists to the more remote entry points. We have often towed canoes with the boat but that is hard on the canoe to do repeatedly. Also, we traditionally used square store canoes to motor to the end of the motor zone but those are much heavier and more difficult to paddle on longer trips so it will be nice to be able to carry lightweight canoes on top of this.

Most of the outfitters have gone to using jonboats because the plane off better with a heavy load. But it’s almost impossible to find a used johnboat in good condition that doesn’t cost as much as new. But I didn’t want to spend several thousand dollars to pick up a couple miles an hour of top speed for a boat that I’ll use for four to six trips per year.

The boundary waters has nearly 1200 lakes and I believe about a dozen of them allow motors. Most of the largest lakes allow motors which allows you to get further into the bush very quickly because a 20 minute boat ride would be about two hours of paddling.

Yes. If you can find a large 16 foot boat or larger you can carry a couple of canoes on it. Obviously need to be careful in windy conditions.

Not too many private parties have their own towboat, but all of the outfitters use towboats to get canoeists to the more remote entry points. We have often towed canoes with the boat but that is hard on the canoe to do repeatedly. Also, we traditionally used square store canoes to motor to the end of the motor zone but those are much heavier and more difficult to paddle on longer trips so it will be nice to be able to carry lightweight canoes on top of this.

Most of the outfitters have gone to using jonboats because the plane off better with a heavy load. But it’s almost impossible to find a used johnboat in good condition that doesn’t cost as much as new. But I didn’t want to spend several thousand dollars to pick up a couple miles an hour of top speed for a boat that I’ll use for four to six trips per year.

The boundary waters has nearly 1200 lakes and I believe about a dozen of them allow motors. Most of the largest lakes allow motors which allows you to get further into the bush very quickly because a 20 minute boat ride would be about two hours of paddling.
Very interesting. Never seen this kind of setup before but it makes sense. Would be a great way to access remote skinny water that hasn't seen much fishing pressure. We have a few lakes here that are restricted to 4 stroke and 9.9hp or less. Most allow for motorized transport with the exception of a couple that are used for drinking water supply.

Very interesting. Never seen this kind of setup before but it makes sense. Would be a great way to access remote skinny water that hasn't seen much fishing pressure. We have a few lakes here that are restricted to 4 stroke and 9.9hp or less. Most allow for motorized transport with the exception of a couple that are used for drinking water supply.
It sure does! We can access waters and catch a limit of fish during a day trip that would take a lot of people 2 to 3 days of travel to get to if they paddled from the initial entry point with a load of camping gear.

Most of the lakes that allow motors are limited to 25 horse and some are limited to 9.9.

I'm all loaded up to go to a job, skidding firewood logs tomorrow,

Resized-20240605-161619-S.jpg

We will see how that goes.

SR

Just wanted to share this. Last night we dedicated the new flagpole that our Lions club donated to the city park. Our local VFW honor guard did a very nice ceremony and as president of the Lions club I was invited to help raise the first flag (that’s me in the yellow vest in the first picture). It was a very memorable moment to help them do that as they normally don’t include citizens in their ceremonies. A great feeling of pride and accomplishment as a lot of people worked very hard to make this a reality.

IMG_9097.jpegIMG_9098.jpegIMG_9096.jpeg

Just wanted to share this. Last night we dedicated the new flagpole that our Lions club donated to the city park. Our local VFW honor guard did a very nice ceremony and as president of the Lions club I was invited to help raise the first flag (that’s me in the yellow vest in the first picture). It was a very memorable moment to help them do that as they normally don’t include citizens in their ceremonies. A great feeling of pride and accomplishment as a lot of people worked very hard to make this a reality.

View attachment 1182146View attachment 1182147View attachment 1182148
D - day anniversary today , there’s only less than 1% of the soldiers still alive that stormed Normandy this day 80 years ago, the largest one day invasion in American 🇺🇸 history, a salute to all the soldiers ,👍

Latest posts

Back