Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my rim all cleaned up, inside where the tube lives POR-15'd and the inner outside primed. TSC didn't have aluminum spray paint for rims so I'll probably grab some engine paint today and it will be ready to swap the tire over. Trying to get this thing ready for the tractor fun run in August.

1719404252434.png
1719404275907.png
1719404474836.png

Result of using calcium chloride as weigh ballast.

1719404505684.png

Looks like SS's oil Pan!

Scored a Craigslist freebie yesterday (actually wife found it on FB marketplace). We jumped in the truck immediately and it was still sitting when we got there. Loaded it up and we were on our way. Does it make me a bad person to take just a little bit of evil pleasure in watching another truck pull up as we were pulling away? 😇

Another example of seeing a deal and being ready to jump on it.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
Just saying. lmao :cool: OT

Got my rim all cleaned up, inside where the tube lives POR-15'd and the inner outside primed. TSC didn't have aluminum spray paint for rims so I'll probably grab some engine paint today and it will be ready to swap the tire over. Trying to get this thing ready for the tractor fun run in August.

View attachment 1186616
View attachment 1186617
View attachment 1186619

View attachment 1186620

Looks like SS's oil Pan!
Calcium chrloride

Took the 68 stepside into town today to do some shopping and filled it up . I keep records on it and the last 4 fills it’s been averaging 16.75 mpg . It’s a 250 six with a 4 speed but has 4.57 gears . I rarely go over 55 with it . I’d like to get a Dana 60 for it with 3.73 gears just to be able to go on the highway and not get run over , but I’m happy with almost 17 mpg
I found an old 4dr Chevy 2 that has the 250 and a powerglide, man I'd like to pick that up.
Learned how to fly fish as a kid and it has it's place, but prefer to hike up smaller mountain creeks that are usually pretty brushy and use mepps/rooster tail type spinners on an ultralight set up.
Fly fishing seems to have turned into a pretentious hipsters game out here lately.
The "Catch and Release " stickers/clan always kills me, yeah, that's so nice of you. I do it, but they act like they should be given a prize. I'm gonna start catching and releasing deer, big hook in the bait pile(we can't have bait piles now though), then when the deer grab it I'm gonna rip lips and haul them in, then I'll just remove the hook and let them go, it's much more kind to the deer than to just shoot them 🤣.
Nice job on the bow.
The little doggie out back is all picked clean now, I wanted to release it, but the crack in it's skull didn't allow for that lol.
20240625_172222.jpg

On the off topic side of things...
Added another log to my log pile, unfortunately these are a few yrs seasoned logs and this one is green. Smashed the chicken run pretty bad, top 16' of an 80' tree will do that even if the bottom 50" didn't have a single branch on it. Bucked up what was in the open area and on the run, and repaired the door so it closes well. I'll have to fix a couple pipes that go over the top to hold the chain link and the peak all the way across later, it was just too warm and nasty(water got in and the area i need to work innis a muck pit now)in there to do it then.
Also cut up a mulberry out of the neighbors drive. The power company didn't do him/me any favors, they dropped all the branches from overhead around the wires onto the lower branches, thanks :buttkick:. Then we left there and went to another neighbors and got a dead elm chuck off the top of their woodshed, the rest of that tree needs to come down soon as it could fall on the woodshed, the neighbors barn, or his SIL's brand new barn next door. Why didn't he have me remove it last yr when he built it 🤔.
20240625_162159.jpg20240625_162136.jpg20240625_161607.jpg20240625_161621.jpg

On the off topic side of things...
Added another log to my log pile, unfortunately these are a few yrs seasoned logs and this one is green. Smashed the chicken run pretty bad, top 16' of an 80' tree will do that even if the bottom 50" didn't have a single branch on it. Bucked up what was in the open area and on the run, and repaired the door so it closes well. I'll have to fix a couple pipes that go over the top to hold the chain link and the peak all the way across later, it was just too warm and nasty(water got in and the area i need to work innis a muck pit now)in there to do it then.
Also cut up a mulberry out of the neighbors drive. The power company didn't do him/me any favors, they dropped all the branches from overhead around the wires onto the lower branches, thanks :buttkick:. Then we left there and went to another neighbors and got a dead elm chuck off the top of their woodshed, the rest of that tree needs to come down soon as it could fall on the woodshed, the neighbors barn, or his SIL's brand new barn next door. Why didn't he have me remove it last yr when he built it 🤔.
View attachment 1186650View attachment 1186651View attachment 1186653View attachment 1186656
How dare you interrupt us to post something related to actual fire wood in the scrounging fire wood thread

View attachment 1186616
View attachment 1186617
View attachment 1186619

View attachment 1186620

Looks like SS's oil Pan!
We went with pie weights after losing too many times to the corrosion

Use sugar beet juice for in wheel balast. Doesn't freeze till -35*f , doesn't rot the wheels and is nearly as heavy as calcium chloride. Quick way to add 400lbs to the rear of my little kubota. Wasn't real expensive either vs calcium or even wheel weights.

2 door skeletons. Don't look real close at the left ones center bar. I welded it in with the door hanging... should have pulled the door back off. It's a tad lower on the right side then the left. Shouldn't matter, will do it's job and it will be covered 🤫 be our secret lol.

Attachments

• 20240626_152842.jpg
    20240626_152842.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I hate NY at times . They passed a law about modifying or using aftermarket exhaust on vehicles to make them louder . Problem is they really can’t enforce it because the meters would cost millions to install in police cars . So their solution is to strong arm the inspection stations . Cars and trucks there is some room . Bikes the shops have been telling people don’t even come here if you have an aftermarket system on it . So I’m putting the factory back on get it inspected and then putting the aftermarket back on . View attachment 1186397View attachment 1186398I called a few places that had done them before two of the four gave up doing inspections on all vehicles . Because it now takes twice as long to inspect vehicles . So they were losing money having a bay out for 30-40 minutes for a max of $21 . To which the states takes a portion for the sticker
Handheld dBA meters are cheap $30 amazon, so departments will have meters available and pass them around thru out your area! The problem most people don't understand the law or how to measure noise properly. I ran drag boats for years and they passed the law on noise levels here. I emit... my boat or boats where load and probably to most people it was anointing. Industry standard is 85 dB and that background noise. If you get pulled over and get measured... read the law and understand it. Go to court... the cop going want measure it at your pipe/ muffler. dba measurement is exponential so 86dB is double the noise level of 85dB. I understand why you want to run aloud pipe on your bike...people look at ya and don't see you. On my Hydro I was running 1860cfm and my flat I ran 850cfm... yes.. they were loud. The Hydro got 2 1/2 miles to 20 gallons of fuel. I could only make 10ea 1/4mile pass on my tanks. I was acceleration freak in those day. 18ft hydro 350lb hull emtpy... basic bolt a big block Chev to ya. The transom was out water by about 7 inches, the sponsons wet surface when it trimmed out ran only on a few inches of water contact. Hydro run on ground effects, basic wing. Not much drag once it lifts. Changed my headers because I couldn't pull a skier or my parasail.

Attachments

• L88 427 440 bracket motor 360 header Portland Or show.jpeg
    L88 427 440 bracket motor 360 header Portland Or show.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Colida Scope hydro L88 427 440 bracket motor.jpeg
    Colida Scope hydro L88 427 440 bracket motor.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Raw Hide 440 flat bottom.jpeg
    Raw Hide 440 flat bottom.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
Handheld dBA meters are cheap $30 amazon, so departments will have meters available and pass them around thru out your area! The problem most people don't understand the law or how to measure noise properly. I ran drag boats for years and they passed the law on noise levels here. I emit... my boat or boats where load and probably to most people it was anointing. Industry standard is 85 dB and that background noise. If you get pulled over and get measured... read the law and understand it. Go to court... the cop going want measure it at your pipe/ muffler. dba measurement is exponential so 86dB is double the noise level of 85dB. I understand why you want to run aloud pipe on your bike...people look at ya and don't see you.
Umm no they can’t use a cheap Amazon meter . They have to be certified and they run about 3k . Just like radar and laser speed equipment . When I was on the job a recertification on a radar was $ 1500 that was in the 80s . You can buy a breathalyzer on Amazon too for cheap but they can’t be used by police . The roadside alcohol sensor was just that to detect if alcohol was present could not be used in court . You had to use the breathalyzer at the station it had to be calibrated before and after the test . The operator also had to have a state certification.

The usual test for loud exhaust is one cop has to be 100 ft from the pipe with the meter on the ground facing the exhaust the second cop then revs the engine to 2000 rpm . The reading is taken at that point . But as noted below the measurements by law are to be taken at speed so tire noise is also in the mix so even then the stationary test can’t be used in court . And a lot of motorcycles don’t have tachs so how do they do the test ?
From NYSTATE V&T
the law is 76db(A)up to 35mph
82db(A)at 35 and over . Most every car or bike will fail this test .

And if you read my post they circumvented the whole process by strongarming the inspection stations . They sent in bikes with loud exhaust with plainclothes cops . Bike gets inspected the inspector gets his license pulled . And in NY it’s permanent you don’t get a second chance .

Use sugar beet juice for in wheel balast. Doesn't freeze till -35*f , doesn't rot the wheels and is nearly as heavy as calcium chloride. Quick way to add 400lbs to the rear of my little kubota. Wasn't real expensive either vs calcium or even wheel weights.
When I called the ag tire place for tires for the new holland the first thing they asked was if the tires had beet juice in them. They wouldn't do tires that had that in for some reason. Mine don't have calcium in them but something else and I can't remember what it is.

Handheld dBA meters are cheap $30 amazon, so departments will have meters available and pass them around thru out your area! The problem most people don't understand the law or how to measure noise properly. I ran drag boats for years and they passed the law on noise levels here. I emit... my boat or boats where load and probably to most people it was anointing. Industry standard is 85 dB and that background noise. If you get pulled over and get measured... read the law and understand it. Go to court... the cop going want measure it at your pipe/ muffler. dba measurement is exponential so 86dB is double the noise level of 85dB. I understand why you want to run aloud pipe on your bike...people look at ya and don't see you. On my Hydro I was running 1860cfm and my flat I ran 850cfm... yes.. they were loud. The Hydro got 2 1/2 miles to 20 gallons of fuel. I could only make 10ea 1/4mile pass on my tanks. I was acceleration freak in those day. 18ft hydro 350lb hull emtpy... basic bolt a big block Chev to ya. The transom was out water by about 7 inches, the sponsons wet surface when it trimmed out ran only on a few inches of water contact. Hydro run on ground effects, basic wing. Not much drag once it lifts. Changed my headers because I couldn't pull a skier or my parasail.
And your boat would be illegal in NY . Even the race tracks around here all have muffler restrictions no muffler no race

I wasn’t allowed to race at Lebanon valley a few years ago at the vintage races . Not because of exhaust but I forgot to drain and flush the coolant . No antifreeze allowed

When I called the ag tire place for tires for the new holland the first thing they asked was if the tires had beet juice in them. They wouldn't do tires that had that in for some reason. Mine don't have calcium in them but something else and I can't remember what it is.
Interesting. Beet juice (Rim Guard) is pretty much the standard around here. We do produce a lot of sugar beets here so I'm sure it's a cost effective by-product of the industry.

Latest posts

Back