Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate NY at times . They passed a law about modifying or using aftermarket exhaust on vehicles to make them louder . Problem is they really can’t enforce it because the meters would cost millions to install in police cars . So their solution is to strong arm the inspection stations . Cars and trucks there is some room . Bikes the shops have been telling people don’t even come here if you have an aftermarket system on it . So I’m putting the factory back on get it inspected and then putting the aftermarket back on . IMG_8638.jpegIMG_8639.jpegI called a few places that had done them before two of the four gave up doing inspections on all vehicles . Because it now takes twice as long to inspect vehicles . So they were losing money having a bay out for 30-40 minutes for a max of $21 . To which the states takes a portion for the sticker

First Fawn on our trail cameras in two years ... Hope it survives, we still see plenty of Bears and other predators.
I have seen several of the little buggers here. Found one in the woods, one bush hogging and saw 3 others out with their mother. Also found the hind quarter to one while bush hogging....... Unless it is for hay, I usually try to wait until late June to mow the fields to give them and the baby turkeys time to get up and moving. Unfortunately have ran into a few of each with the sickle mower over the years.

1719326749276.png
1719326772168.png

I hate NY at times . They passed a law about modifying or using aftermarket exhaust on vehicles to make them louder . Problem is they really can’t enforce it because the meters would cost millions to install in police cars . So their solution is to strong arm the inspection stations . Cars and trucks there is some room . Bikes the shops have been telling people don’t even come here if you have an aftermarket system on it . So I’m putting the factory back on get it inspected and then putting the aftermarket back on . View attachment 1186397View attachment 1186398I called a few places that had done them before two of the four gave up doing inspections on all vehicles . Because it now takes twice as long to inspect vehicles . So they were losing money having a bay out for 30-40 minutes for a max of $21 . To which the states takes a portion for the sticker
Times have changed! I remember the local cops would put a stick in the exhaust pipe of the bikes to see if the baffles were still in them!

RE NYSI, I've noticed that the shops are much more aggressive with trying to sell you stuff now during the inspection... In the past few months I had a few weeks old set of wiper blades on the truck and the guy is trying to sell me new ones because they are folding over on the edge. To which I responded "Yes, those new blades are rather flexible aren't they." They also reported that it needed tie rod ends and alignment as they are loose. This on a vehicle with 20K... The car... front brakes are worn out. Really, show me. Since 1986 I've never put brakes on the front before 100K and it's usually more like 110-120K. There was about 55K on the clock. I've never done rears... That's what happens when you run the highway and drive with the gas pedal (it works both ways ya know 😉). The service writer was embarrassed when he showed me nice smooth rotors, no crusties on the edges, and pads that had lots of material on them. The worst one was last year (maybe 2022?) when the service writer wanted to charge me $600 to replace the door ajar switch on my mother's Blazer... I declined. Out of curiosity, I found an OEM switch on-line from a GM parts distributor for about $20 delivered. These people are giving the industry a bad name...

It's not the consumers' problem that local dealers over built new facilities before COVID and price gouged during COVID. My son recently went into sales and he's finding people are so upside down in their vehicles that they may be out of the market until they make their last payment. He had a guy last week that, assuming they could get him bought, would have had to roll so much over into the new loan that his payments would have gone up $300/month--he couldn't afford higher payment and lacked the cash to satisfy at least part of the payoff gap. I recently saw a video where a woman bought a Jeep Wagoneer during COVID. It was over $100K and she had a $91K loan on it. She recently went to trade it in on a new vehicle and they offered her $36K... About half of what she still owed! It's troubling times for an industry that I liked working in when I was a kid...

I told my son to learn from the many bad decisions people make when it comes to buying vehicles. 😉

First Fawn on our trail cameras in two years ... Hope it survives, we still see plenty of Bears and other predators.
I've seen one spotted fawn so far near my parents' home... usually there are more. I've seen a coyote in their back yard and suspect there is a fisher... The fisher are usually in the "big woods" up the street but they could be working the "small woods" behind my parents' based on the snapping turtle in the dog run.

I'm not certain how inspections are in NY, but it's really hard to make ends meet just doing state inspections. We're allowed to do 2 per hour maximum. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new car or 30 year old car. State sets the sticker price and you're allowed to set your own inspection fee, but you can't really go much over what the next guy has posted. I really do feel bad for automotive shops these days.

We have a lot of them this year .Almost ran one over with the quad it was hiding in the tall grass . There are two sets of twins running around here .

I'm not certain how inspections are in NY, but it's really hard to make ends meet just doing state inspections. We're allowed to do 2 per hour maximum. Doesn't matter if it's a brand new car or 30 year old car. State sets the sticker price and you're allowed to set your own inspection fee, but you can't really go much over what the next guy has posted. I really do feel bad for automotive shops these days.
State sets the fee here . $6 for motorcycle $18 for enhanced safety like on my 3500 dodge and 21 for full emission and safety . I don’t see how it’s a money maker unless you upsell . I have seen a few fail but not many since the bulk of vehicles are less than 10 years old here . Older ones are usually rotted out .

Forgot to mention... Last evening I saw twins with a doe. They were not little fawns but they were very small for being last year's. I'm wondering if they were born very late in the season last year... This past winter was a non-event and they probably could have survived...

I've gotten some nice fawn pictures this summer.Screenshot_20240625-124445_Spartan Camera.jpgScreenshot_20240625-124419_Spartan Camera.jpg
These are from behind our house. The doe is definitely on my harvest list.

Latest posts

Back