Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It stopped Global Warming last night. It is 48 degrees this morning in Mass.
58* this morning when I left for work. Nearly went back in the house for a hoodie lol. But hey, whatever it takes for some relief from the near 100* heat we've been having, I'll take it.

58* this morning when I left for work. Nearly went back in the house for a hoodie lol. But hey, whatever it takes for some relief from the near 100* heat we've been having, I'll take it.
I'll take these cooler days anytime. We were in Branson, MO. last week and it was a cooker. On another note. I just noticed that we are on page 5555. For the last year or so I have been forever seeing random numbers like 11:11, 5:55, 7:11, 4:44, 3:33, 2:22, 12:12 and the like on clocks. The most often seen number has been 5:55.

I'll take these cooler days anytime. We were in Branson, MO. last week and it was a cooker. On another note. I just noticed that we are on page 5555. For the last year or so I have been forever seeing random numbers like 11:11, 5:55, 7:11, 4:44, 3:33, 2:22, 12:12 and the like on clocks. The most often seen number has been 5:55.
So we have our very own random number generator.

OK, some on topic pictures today ... went over to my brothers and in addition to seeing two deer (he borders NYC-DEP) we cut down some dead Shag Bark Hickory trees. Of course, his other half has stuff planted all over the place, so we had to rope it and pull it opposite the lean, and before it came down it got hung up ... those Hickory limbs are just too strong! And working over a pond also made it challenging and fun!!!

We may not move as fast as we used to, but between the two of us we got it done and covered the ground with chips when bucking!

We collectively have three ported 462s, so saw power was not lacking!

Attachments

• IMG_20240628_141036014_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240628_141036014_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240628_141024402_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240628_141024402_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240628_140946870_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240628_140946870_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240628_140940566_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240628_140940566_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Started in on the 1948 IH Farmall H work. The clutch is worn out, the radiator leaks, one coolant pipe has had a bandaid to keep it from leaking for 15 years, and the front bolster bushings are so badly worn the front end wobbles side to side on the road. So, I decided this was the summer to do the work. First to take out the radiator, then the front end has to come off, and separate the pedestal and tires from the front bolster. IH has the bushings for the bolster available, but one was $150 and the other $80 5 or 10 years ago. Last year, I scored a used front bolster from Wedde&Sons in WI to refurb, so the downtime would be minimal. It turned out to have good bushings! It was cleaned up and painted last fall, ready to go.

So the front end came off, the frame rails came off, the engine came off, and then the clutch was exposed. In the process, I found out clutch parts for older and maybe newer tractors are made in Holstein, Iowa.
jeffcube on eb ay, Jeff McKibban, of Humbolt, IA sells them, more or less direct. ~$200 in place of ~$325 at Steiner and other places. The included the throwout bearing, pilot bearing and plastic stub shaft to align the clutch disk. I found a guy in Norway, MI who repaired the radiator for a reasonable cost, and I bought a used coolant tube without a hole. THis poor old tractor was worked hard. The drawbar is worn elliptical from pulling a plow over lots of acres. Then it appears if had a woodsaw mounted for most of the rest its life. When I got it the bearings on the belt pulley were worn out, and the sealed leaked great puddles of Differential grease. That was the first thing I rebuilt. Of all the H's we owned and I have looked at, I have never seen the belt pulley worn out.

One interesting thing, This is only the second Farmall I have worked on that has never been repainted. The fan shroud, front tank support, fan, frame rails and a few other places had never had paint, except some overspray at the factory. At some point the radiator shell, hood and tank were repainted with a brush. The other one never repainted was a Cultivision A that I converted to Electric start in 1970. Inside the radiator shell it had a date stencilled, Feb 1942. This H did not have a date, and the factory paint job was not as good as the pre-war Farmalls. From the serial number, it was built in 1948. On the good side, none of the bolts were rusted up. It appears for all the hard work and neglect, it was kept under roof until I got it. I have not always had a place to keep it under roof. Now I am able to put it inside for the winters, but it is out for the summers. After the big wind a couple years ago blew down lots of mature trees, it has been my log skidder and trailer toter to haul the wood home or to the sawmill. So OT, but related to firewood. Oh yeah, while I was in there, i knocked off the ring gear, heated it in the Weber, flipped it over and put it back on. So now the starter should have good teeth to work on for the next 76 yearrs.

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 0
Got the inner side of my rim painted last night, went to go and remove the old one off the tractor so that I can swap the tire over, but the clamp nuts had different plans. Either need to burn them off with the torch of finally break down and buy a battery grinder as I don't have power down where its currently parked.

View attachment 1186863 View attachment 1186864

Wish companies still used cool slogans on stuff like this.

View attachment 1186866
Break down and do the cordless grinder! You will never regret it. If it is not a Milwaukee, though, plan on it taking a couple of charges... I have yet to come across a battery like theirs, and this will take a lot of battery.

Break down and do the cordless grinder! You will never regret it. If it is not a Milwaukee, though, plan on it taking a couple of charges... I have yet to come across a battery like theirs, and this will take a lot of battery.
I agree, somewhat. I'm a Milwaukee fan-boy, and I don't believe their cordless line-up of tools can be beat. However, if I'm running a drill, a grinder or a saw any length of time, I'll take the time to untangle extension cords and go old school.

I have seen several of the little buggers here. Found one in the woods, one bush hogging and saw 3 others out with their mother. Also found the hind quarter to one while bush hogging....... Unless it is for hay, I usually try to wait until late June to mow the fields to give them and the baby turkeys time to get up and moving. Unfortunately have ran into a few of each with the sickle mower over the years.

View attachment 1186437
View attachment 1186438
Yea I got a couple baby turkeys last year DR mowing my food plot. Never feels too good when stuff like that happens..

@djg james Hiked up into this canyon today. Caught some pretty wild brookies. Great weather, around 65 degrees.
View attachment 1187387View attachment 1187388View attachment 1187389

Yesterday, hiked up another creek with the kid to a small lake so he could catch some yellow perch.
View attachment 1187395View attachment 1187391View attachment 1187392
Haven't scrounged in a while,folks. Sorry for all the fishy pics.
90+ degrees here with high humidity. her's Man I'd love to smell that mountain air again. Areas like that were my Brother's stomping grounds.

90+ degrees here with high humidity. her's Man I'd love to smell that mountain air again. Areas like that were my Brother's stomping grounds.
Time to take a trip!
That canyon in the first couple pics had an old railroad bridge crossing it that is long gone. It was built in 1892. Was fishing right where it used to be.
52715482_2156389451066715_3912385890038579200_n.jpg

Back