Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He asked me if I was afraid of overloading my truck. I told him, the only load worth hauling is an overload

I mean, the engineers put them bump stops on trucks for a reason, right??
I can relate. I have more 6x6x16's in the back of my half ton going with me tomorrow morning than I probably should. Oh and they're still wet... She is squatting pretty well and slower to stop, but the field we are hunting is less than a mile from our camp where they're destined and that is 65k or 40 miles from home. Why waste a trip, right?

Yeah, man. Sometimes you gotta drag the mudflaps. View attachment 1202356
This reminds me of my little red Chevy Colorado I gave my father in law

I beat the balls of that poor thing

All it hauls now is his groceries

Like putting a good old boy out to pasture, that truck lives an easy life now

Long day today, lots going on, and I'm enjoying a Yuengling Lager as I post this.

Camp is over and school has not started yet for my granddaughter, so I took her to the archery range at the Fish & Game club. She loved it!

But then we find out that I have to rush home to have lunch with her, then rush to her house so I can pick up her brother and bring him to football practice. His father's truck is in the shop so the father took Mom's car and is stuck at work and can't take him!

Then I have to rush back home, pack numerous saws in the truck and go over to help Matt cut wood at the farm (an hour away). So, then we play with a large White Oak for 2 hours, then drive home (another hour) and had a very late dinner.

Here are the archery pictures, all the kids seem to like the dinosaurs the best!

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_113700734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_113700734_HDR.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240903_113913744_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_113913744_HDR.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240903_120045887_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_120045887_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
In addition, the logger started on my property today and the trail cam has several bulldozer pictures. There was also a previous picture that looked like a nuclear event had occurred, so my daughter requested a video, and the nuclear event was just a cub playing with the trail camera.

I also learn that there are not two new bears to replace the one I shot last year ... there are at least 5! I feel like my property is being invaded with giant black rats!

Attachments

• Bear3cubs09-01-2024.mp4
    9 MB
He asked me if I was afraid of overloading my truck. I told him, the only load worth hauling is an overload

I mean, the engineers put them bump stops on trucks for a reason, right??
That's the truth!

My truck today...20240903_220727.jpgGlad I got a 2500!

It was good to see Matt and cut up some large White Oak at the farm. He said he needed me to bring some bigger saws, but I think he just called me so I would have to sharpen all the chains tomorrow!

My two 440/460 hybrids (one Doc Al - orange, one CFB - black) did most of the cutting. Both have 28" light bars and go through tough wood fast. They are my best power to weight saws.

I also broke out my 8.6 Hp ported Asian 660 clone to noodle some of the larger rounds so Matt would not have to keep breaking his back! (I finished the port work on this saw). It noodles large tough rounds effortlessly!

Attachments

• IMG_20240903_174106879_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_174106879_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240903_182949829_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_182949829_HDR.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240903_182953851_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_182953851_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240903_182958415_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240903_182958415_HDR.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 0
I'm to a point now where I am waiting for bolts to lag down the canopy to 4x4's. I'll be able to stack over 6 cord of split wood under here. I still need to order a top canopy for it and put in the ground stakes to keep it from blowing away.
Those are very useful but as a word of advice, anchor them down about 10x as much as you think would be necessary.

I did all the brakes last fall on this truck replaced shoes cylinders and rubber lines . Took it out today and the brakes didn’t feel right only the right side brakes would lock up on gravel . The only driving I did was on and off the trailer to my garage after the brake job . Found some glazing on the left front so I sanded the drum and the shoes and then I found this on the right rear IMG_8975.jpeg

My dumbass rushing didn’t set the push pin from the wheel cylinder into the shoe . I’m glad GM put stops so that the piston didn’t come out . I can now lock up all four on pavement

Still going to rebuild the motor at some point but it’s road worthy now IMG_8972.jpeg

Well the hunt was a success. Much easier packing in than packing out. Geese are heavy lol. The farmer does not want us driving in the field so of course we respect his wishes. That would be a quick way to lose access. 3 man limit, 30 birds before 10 a.m. View attachment 1202478View attachment 1202479
Holy $hit! You're allowed 10 birds per person> No wonder we're only allowed 2 down here. There's no birds left!! :laugh: .

Seriously, great hunt. I've never shot a goose before. My hunting is over flooded fields (Corps of Engr) and rarely get geese in there. They raft up out in the attached lake.

Well the hunt was a success. Much easier packing in than packing out. Geese are heavy lol. The farmer does not want us driving in the field so of course we respect his wishes. That would be a quick way to lose access. 3 man limit, 30 birds before 10 a.m. View attachment 1202478View attachment 1202479
Congrats! I see lots of goose jerky in your future!

Holy $hit! You're allowed 10 birds per person> No wonder we're only allowed 2 down here. There's no birds left!! :laugh: .

Seriously, great hunt. I've never shot a goose before. My hunting is over flooded fields (Corps of Engr) and rarely get geese in there. They raft up out in the attached lake.
It must be because they are called Canada geese 🤷‍♂️🤣. Seriously though, thanks.

We have an overpopulation of them here. Most consider them a nuisance animal and they can be like a blight on farmers fields which is why we have a higher limit for the early season. Oct 1st our limit drops to 5 per day 10 in possession.

Back