Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a busy day today, but I did manage to also peel a pail of tomatoes this evening,

Resized-20240909-220712-S.jpg

They will get canned later!

SR

Some of us just can't cut consistently even if it comes from a tree not cut up. My wood is anywhere from 10 to 20inches. I need more time with the saw and to step off or mark consistent lengths. :chainsaw:
It used to make my dad so mad, and still does when we cut together lol, that I can not keep a real consistent cut length. 18in on his little englander is max so he likes 16 and under.

I am a lot better than I used to be you just start to get the eye for what looks right after enough years of cutting

It used to make my dad so mad, and still does when we cut together lol, that I can not keep a real consistent cut length. 18in on his little englander is max so he likes 16 and under.

I am a lot better than I used to be you just start to get the eye for what looks right after enough years of cutting
I believe anyone can get better; but some just get it, and will always do better.

I have learned to be very careful on saying I'll take wood someone else " has already cut for me!" Usually a nightmare.
I bet some guys do that just so no-one asks :laugh:.
Buddy was telling me how he's doing so good at his job. He knows this because they said do this task, no-one usually gets it done in under 2 hrs, he finished in 1.5. I said, I bet you went home early too didn't you, he said "yes, dang!":laughing:.

For you doubters of my cast iron identification I took a wire brush to the bottom of my new to me pan. First letter I uncovered was a "W" second was and "A" I says to myself "self looks like you were right" The next letter
I uncovered was a "P" Oh Yeah!
Then the "P" turned into an "R" next an "E" showed up.
This sure as heck isn't a Wapak.
IMG_3167.jpg
Wagner Ware made between 1922 and 1935.
IMG_3166.jpg
So I stand corrected.

I was just fine when I was younger. I started wearing bi-focals in my early 40's and have been forced to measure ever since.

Today I made up 8 more 2 foot long stakes to stake down the canopy base 4x4's. That was no fun hammering them down into that ground. I did drill holes through the 4x4's. There are 2 stakes in each 4x4 about a foot from each end. Now I feel a bit better about it staying in place

Attachments

• 20240910_154839.jpg
    20240910_154839.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
For you doubters of my cast iron identification I took a wire brush to the bottom of my new to me pan. First letter I uncovered was a "W" second was and "A" I says to myself "self looks like you were right" The next letter
I uncovered was a "P" Oh Yeah!
Then the "P" turned into an "R" next an "E" showed up.
This sure as heck isn't a Wapak.
View attachment 1203990
Wagner Ware made between 1922 and 1935.
View attachment 1203991
So I stand corrected.
Yay Me! I guessed pre 60's Wagner!!! That's a good pan

My wife sent these this morning . Bastards eating my apples . :lol:
View attachment 1194385
There's a bear showing up at my two son's homes and their neighbor's for the past few weeks... It was laying down under the neighbors peach tree on it's belly eating peach after peach. Took one of my son's bird feeders--all but empty but it it was taken anyway. A coyote keeps showing up too... So far nothing has gotten into the chickens.

It's been quite a while since I stopped in... It's been elder care to the max... The R part of CPR failed to materialize for me while I was waiting for EMS to arrive to tend to my father... He passed at age 90 at the end of July. He was at home and I had taken Mom to a doctor appointment in the morning. When we returned we found him on the floor... My typical day now is about 13 hours long taking care of Mom and doing household chores and fixing things at their home....

If you have elderly parents do NOT believe them when they tell you that they are fine, that everything around the house is OK, and they don't want to bother you... It wasn't until I started spending the bulk of my time at their home that I "discovered" things. I previously took care of many things I did notice... cleaning gutters, soft washing the roof to get rid of moss, washing the garage, replacing 3-way switches, etc., etc., etc.

They only had a few dishes so they hand washed them.... not really, water was leaking into the basement due to a rotted out copper waste line AND the drywell for the kitchen grey water was full and backing up the 4" DWV pipe between the house and drywell. I dug the hole and pipe trench by hand and built that drywell about 55 years ago.... Got $5 for doing it! After replacing the plumbing inside the house and constructing a new drywell the dishwasher works fine!

Drywell.gif

While going through papers to deal with the passing of my father I found service receipts for the boiler going back 5 years. Tech wrote "needs combustion chamber." I never heard that mentioned... I took the boiler apart to find this:

Front where the burner goes
Boiler1.gif

Back wall... the floor was completely gone.
Boiler2.gif

In process...It cleaned up well and is in surprisingly good condition. New combustion chamber sections are in place in the photo.
Boiler3.gif

I was doing a lot of end of season yard work and found more black snake sheds... I'm up to six now! My son noticed the shed from the big snake that was on the patio. It was under a workbench in the outdoor power equipment room. The big shed is on top of the 6... one was destroyed by the string trimmer and only a little piece was recovered! I'm saving them for my grandsons... Figure they'd be a good show and tell item. 😉 I sent one of my sons to school with a deer antler and a buck rub one time and various skeleton parts other times. He earned the nickname Bones in primary school. 😉
ShedsXSix.gif

The on-going Blazer saga continues... I finally got a chance to revisit it... The delay wasn't a problem because mom stopped driving back around April or May at age 88. With further testing I narrowed it down to the IPC circuit. A new battery and alternator slowed the draw down from "dead in a day" to "dead in 3 days." The IPC was a bit wonky (fuel gauge for one) so I pulled it out today to ship it out for repair.

Blazer.gif

This is the kind of stuff that is fine... don't believe your elderly parents!

I had a very busy day today; I was back on the job but this time I was pulling "mostly" firewood logs out of a pile, cutting the stumps off them, and stacking both in piles of their own.

Some of the logs were pretty long and straight,

Resized-20240910-131037-S.jpg

and then there were the stumps to deal with, like these,

Resized-20240910-130403-S.jpg

Resized-20240910-125338-S.jpg

SR

Back