Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that last time, spent $80 to use it a dozen times and lose a valve
I have no problem with that, I go a long way out of route to avoid anything hencho en China.
There are quite a few projects at the house that will probably get scrapped, can't see buying new as you said, and I sure as heck ain't buying from the enemy.

Will it damage one of these small splitter engines to run it without a muffler? A new muffler for the Kohler on the DHT splitter is $90. That's just silly.
Who says you have to put a Kohler muffler on it??

ANY muffler that you can make fit will be good enough.

SR

Will it damage one of these small splitter engines to run it without a muffler?
Likely won't damage it, but likely will not run right. Often it may run fine wide open, but no torque or low speed operation.

I would fabricate something from a tin can before running it with nothing.

Did somebody say cornbread?
Pretty likely this Wagner pan has had cornbread baked in it before.
However I am certain it has never been used for my world famous "Banana Honey Jonnycake"
I'm sure diver64 will be right over to wash the dishes that were used to mix this up.
View attachment 1204151
Here is an interesting video I found on how one person cleans up old iron

Good morning guys

Well, I got the exterior of two boats and a canoe fully painted yesterday. There was a little bit of a learning curve with the sprayer and the paint ended up being super thick so I had to thin it a lot. Also, my large compressor wasn’t regulating so I had to use my pancake compressor which of course made the process slower.

Nonetheless, we are making progress. I ended up having to order a little bit more paint to finish the job, but I have one more boat. I would like to paint so now I’ll have more than enough to do that as well. I’m going to spray the inside of the smaller boat this afternoon.

Marina enamel dries almost immediately, but it takes several weeks to really harden up so I’m going to leave these alone until then.

IMG_2032.jpegIMG_2033.jpegIMG_2036.jpegIMG_2037.jpegIMG_2040.jpegIMG_2042.jpeg

Sure, dude.
As cheap as I am, I'm inclined to agree. Either cobble something on it or spend the money and get the right one. Wouldn't hurt looking on evilbay either. Most small engines are more or less universal with mufflers anymore. The muffler off my subaru Robin would swap over to a kohler, Briggs or Honda with little effort.

Good morning guys

Well, I got the exterior of two boats and a canoe fully painted yesterday. There was a little bit of a learning curve with the sprayer and the paint ended up being super thick so I had to thin it a lot. Also, my large compressor wasn’t regulating so I had to use my pancake compressor which of course made the process slower.

Nonetheless, we are making progress. I ended up having to order a little bit more paint to finish the job, but I have one more boat. I would like to paint so now I’ll have more than enough to do that as well. I’m going to spray the inside of the smaller boat this afternoon.

Marina enamel dries almost immediately, but it takes several weeks to really harden up so I’m going to leave these alone until then.

View attachment 1204285View attachment 1204286View attachment 1204287View attachment 1204288View attachment 1204289View attachment 1204290
Turned out pretty nice if you ask me!

I did that last time, spent $80 to use it a dozen times and lose a valve

Wasn’t going to spend double the price I paid for a Honda or Briggs

Guys at work gave me a ton of shot, wanted me to find a old Tecumseh
I hope your guys at work or anyone else that rags on Hobo Freight does not shop anywhere else like northern, TSC, etc for anything. Equipment and tools are a foreign wonderland and it is next to impossible to avoid, China, India, Taiwan, Mexico etc if you buy new.

That is why I snag old free pressure washers and the like. I have 4 that were free, 3 with bad pumps but good running old school Briggs engines. When ever the old 8hp on my splitter decides its time is up, if it does since I have never lost an old flattie, I got a nice selection to choose from.

I hope your guys at work or anyone else that rags on Hobo Freight does not shop anywhere else like northern, TSC, etc for anything. Equipment and tools are a foreign wonderland and it is next to impossible to avoid, China, India, Taiwan, Mexico etc if you buy new.

That is why I snag old free pressure washers and the like. I have 4 that were free, 3 with bad pumps but good running old school Briggs engines. When ever the old 8hp on my splitter decides its time is up, if it does since I have never lost an old flattie, I got a nice selection to choose from.
Finding stuff like that for free isn't always easy, and seems area dependant. It's been real hard to find anything gas powered free around here the last couple of years.

Good morning guys

View attachment 1204285View attachment 1204286View attachment 1204287View attachment 1204288View attachment 1204289View attachment 1204290
Looks good man! Are you planning to do any camo accents over the drab? I have been mulling over the idea of adding camo to a 1654 mod-v jon boat that I have and I am undecided whether to go with stencils or try free-handing it. Or, third option. Building some type of A-frame that attaches to the track system in the gunnels and weaving in vegetation from where I'm hunting.

Finding stuff like that for free isn't always easy, and seems area dependant. It's been real hard to find anything gas powered free around here the last couple of years.
You're right, it definitely comes and goes I've been accumulating for years. People I work with find out I work on old junk and end up giving me their stuff cause they want it out of their way. I got 3 free chainsaws at my previous job and a pressure washer at my current job.

I used to know the bulk collection trash days where I used to live for school. Take a ride around at about 10pm the night before pick up and find some goodies, especially in early spring. One push mower I got some one had simply overfilled it with oil so if it was on anything but level it would plume smoke out. I guess they thought it was blown up, I drained it down to full and it ran like a top, couldn't have had more than 10-15 hours on it. I then put flyers in mail boxes and turned around and mowed yards with it in the same neighborhood I found it in and made a decent little chunk of cash.

Turned out pretty nice if you ask me!

Looks good man! Are you planning to do any camo accents over the drab? I have been mulling over the idea of adding camo to a 1654 mod-v jon boat that I have and I am undecided whether to go with stencils or try free-handing it. Or, third option. Building some type of A-frame that attaches to the track system in the gunnels and weaving in vegetation from where I'm hunting.
Thanks guys! Just looking at the pics now I noticed there are some shiny areas, those did flatten out after drying.

I bought a reed stencil kit and a few contrasting green and brown rattle cans. Will test it out as time allows.

You're right, it definitely comes and goes I've been accumulating for years. People I work with find out I work on old junk and end up giving me their stuff cause they want it out of their way. I got 3 free chainsaws at my previous job and a pressure washer at my current job.

I used to know the bulk collection trash days where I used to live for school. Take a ride around at about 10pm the night before pick up and find some goodies, especially in early spring. One push mower I got some one had simply overfilled it with oil so if it was on anything but level it would plume smoke out. I guess they thought it was blown up, I drained it down to full and it ran like a top, couldn't have had more than 10-15 hours on it. I then put flyers in mail boxes and turned around and mowed yards with it in the same neighborhood I found it in and made a decent little chunk of cash.
some times it works out. Used to pick through the dumpsters at trash days, not allowed to anymore. Need to catch the people in the parking lot then convince them to hand it over or (more normally) offer them a coupple bucks. Which is stupid imo, they were coming to throw it out, now I have interest in it it's worth something? The merchandiser used to be good for free stuff too, now wastebook has taken over and free stuff is basically non existent. How times have changed.
I just gave my last free v-twin to my dad for his "new" pos mower he bought. Not planning on replacing it either. With the collection I currently have I'm good for the equipment I have. Wife had been bugging me to back off collecting stuff too, so there's always that factor.

Yeah gee, never would have thought to try and modify some other muffler to fit. Thanks for captain obvious from Raleigh, NC for chiming in. Not everybody lives 5 minutes from a f#cking napa.
I never would have thought about Napa, don't use them for much of anything anymore. Easier to order something off the internet and be mad at myself if it's wrong.

Yeah gee, never would have thought to try and modify some other muffler to fit. Thanks for captain obvious from Raleigh, NC for chiming in. Not everybody lives 5 minutes from a f#cking napa.
I don't live 5 minutes from a NAPA, in fact the closest one is over 20 miles away. BUT my phone will make calls to over 20 miles! lol

SR

Back