Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first mountain bike in ‘82… got the second in ‘83: Trek 850. That was Trek’s first “rough terrain” bike. Much of it was worn out and replaced but it’s still got the original frame, wheels, crank arms, brakes and saddle. I still ride it… I don’t use the circa 2002 Specialized Epic much anymore — don’t ride as aggressively these days. I did a 3,142 mile tour on the 850 also… Of my 7 bikes the 850 is my favorite.
I bought a Trek 850 also way back and passed it on to my son many years ago when I bought a Trek 930. They are great bikes.

Oil thread!
Why not motor oil, or is it just used motor oil you won't use.
Also why diesel with it.
Trans fluid is one of my favs to get the bonfire going, it burns very hot :blob2: , just don't get all that much of it.
That's because you are too cheeep to change it! lol lol

I won't use used motor oil because of all the "nasties" that builds up in used motor oil that trans-hydraulic oil doesn't have.. Also, used motor oil just seems to leave a lot more of a film on top of the wood that I hate getting on everything! (If my wife kicks me out, I want to be able to sleep up off the ground! lol)

Diesel is also added so the oil penetrates deeper into the wood and that really helps to make the wood last a lot longer, I just don't want the oil to sit on top for months.

SR

That's because you are too cheeep to change it! lol lol

I won't use used motor oil because of all the "nasties" that builds up in used motor oil that trans-hydraulic oil doesn't have.. Also, used motor oil just seems to leave a lot more of a film on top of the wood that I hate getting on everything! (If my wife kicks me out, I want to be able to sleep up off the ground! lol)

Diesel is all added, so the oil penetrates deeper into the wood and that really helps to make the wood last a lot longer, I just don't want the oil to sit on top for months.

SR
Don't use that transmission fluid to start fires, cut it 50/50 with acetone for the best penetrating fluid. Mix it with kerosene, mineral spirits and acetone for great gun cleaning fluid and 50/50 with kerosene for gun oil.

Back