Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More than anything, it's dirty.
I get that. I sent a bunch of semi down to Georgia with a saw yesterday, told him to use it on dirty wood. If I cut a lot of nasty wood off a pile, I'd run 404 semi, it last long time.
It's okay, but I won't be buying anymore.
Rather buy x-cut for the price, and it's way smoother out of the box.

Do you inspect your furnace every year? I haven't pulled the shrouds off of mine in 13 years. Probably should...
yes, every year and I usually check the chimney twice a year. Although since I went to the insulated stainless chimney I doubt that it's nessisary to inspect it twice a year. Since it's my only heat source for the house I try to keep it in good repair.

I usually use the rs amateur :laughing: .
I prefer the x-cut myself, fastest and smoothest out of the box I've ran, and holds an edge just as well as RS after being filed.
Have you tried the chain yet ? in clean wood IMO it’s faster than X - cut , X - cut was the fastest in .325 till I tried 23RS Pro , the cutter profile not like regular RS , The C83 is the fastest outta the box 3/8 pitch, Then if all else fails, bring the big stuff, Lol IMG_3435.png

yes, every year and I usually check the chimney twice a year. Although since I went to the insulated stainless chimney I doubt that it's nessisary to inspect it twice a year. Since it's my only heat source for the house I try to keep it in good repair.
I always clean and inspect from the inside of mine and obviously clean the chimney every year. I've never pulled the shrouds to check for cracks though.

Have you tried the chain yet ? in clean wood IMO it’s faster than X - cut , X - cut was the fastest in .325 till I tried 23RS Pro , the cutter profile not like regular RS , The C83 is the fastest outta the box 3/8 pitch, Then if all else fails, bring the big stuff, Lol View attachment 1211097
No, the biggest saw I have right now is 85cc, no reason to run 404. A while ago I did buy a new 24x063 stihl lightweight bar, I still haven't ran it, it will be happening soon though. I normally run all 050, except on a couple real small saws that are set up for 043 picco/ lp.

No, the biggest saw I have right now is 85cc, no reason to run 404. A while ai did buy a new 24x063 stihl lightweight bar, I still haven't ran it, it will be happening soon though. I normally run all 050, except on a couple real small saws that are set up for 043 picco/ lp.
Yea , I wanta see those square grinders setup in that sweet barn , 👍 She cut eh , .404

Yea , I wanta see those square grinders setup in that sweet barn , 👍 She cut eh , .404

That things ripping!
I just brought the stand of one out there last week :).
I still need to get a couple more coats of paint(husky paint lol) on the one wall, and finish the wood/trim around the electric panel, and lights, then the 2' carpet squares get installed in there. I have to get the chicken run finished, making repairs from the tree damage this spring, then I'll probably get the paint done. once it's finished I'll also be setting up the round grinders and the raker grinder, and hopefully add a spinner breaker like yours to the mix and a roll of x-cut c-85:chainsaw:. Man, it's getting pretty tight in there, maybe I'll need to build an addition :laugh:.

I always clean and inspect from the inside of mine and obviously clean the chimney every year. I've never pulled the shrouds to check for cracks though.
It's revealed issues a few times over the years, so it's good practice to pull them every now and then. This issue is the first alarming issue, since it had the potential to send smoke into the rest of the house, and possibly act like a forced draft. So I'm glad I caught it. I do have the screw holes about wallered out. May think about putting riv nuts in and going to machine screws vs sheet metal screws.

That things ripping!
I just brought the stand of one out there last week :).
I still need to get a couple more coats of paint(husky paint lol) on the one wall, and finish the wood/trim around the electric panel, and lights, then the 2' carpet squares get installed in there. I have to get the chicken run finished, making repairs from the tree damage this spring, then I'll probably get the paint done. once it's finished I'll also be setting up the round grinders and the raker grinder, and hopefully add a spinner breaker like yours to the mix and a roll of x-cut c-85:chainsaw:. Man, it's getting pretty tight in there, maybe I'll need to build an addition :laugh:.
Yea , I have like 3 newly ported saws need some time on them ,that’s the problem not enough time , isn’t it always the issue 🤔

Morning guys.

Had a pretty good weekend of hunting. Limited out on ducks yesterday for two of us and got four today. wasn’t set up in the perfect location today because I misread the wind but we still got a little bit of shooting.

Yesterday I raised my dock which had sunk over over the last couple of years. We also had pulled a log out of the navigation channel and it was cool to see how fresh the felling cut was despite the fact that this log has been in the water for 112 years! The part that was stuck in the mud shed the bark as soon as you pulled it out - the rest of it was very dark brown already.

IMG_2991.jpeg

Since the mac thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, can't seem to get the flat back to stop filling the carb box full of fuel in the 1-76. Been fully rebuilt, pressure tested etc. Needle and seat are good, holds ~20psi. Primer was rebuilt following a video that was posted, it all tests/works good. At idle and when its shut off it will start flooding the carb box. (When at idle the saw goes ritch the dies then floods the box) pretty much ready to toss it and stick a tilly hl19 on it. Really wanted to keep it stock, but I think I covered all my bases, and I'm sick of not being able to set the saw down for more then 2 seconds. Any ideas or tips?

Since the mac thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, can't seem to get the flat back to stop filling the carb box full of fuel in the 1-76. Been fully rebuilt, pressure tested etc. Needle and seat are good, holds ~20psi. Primer was rebuilt following a video that was posted, it all tests/works good. At idle and when its shut off it will start flooding the carb box. (When at idle the saw goes ritch the dies then floods the box) pretty much ready to toss it and stick a tilly hl19 on it. Really wanted to keep it stock, but I think I covered all my bases, and I'm sick of not being able to set the saw down for more then 2 seconds. Any ideas or tips?
I think the Tilly , would be the way to go.

I'm not really familiar with the carb on these saws but is there a check valve/ball of some sort that might be leaking? Can you get a mirror/borescope in there to see where the gas is coming from?

Back