Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I still prefer the old warbonnet redheads. The blue/yellow looks much better than the warren buffet age BMSF orange. The warbonnets were classy. I grew up within earshot of ATSF mainline, and only 20 miles from Burlington, and the CB&Q mainline. We had Santa Fe shops. Burlington had bigger CB&Q shops.

The Local here up until 2019 had a Dash 9 Superfleet Warbonnet assigned to it, BNSF 627. I only got it once with one of the BN green survivor SD40-2s. The unit in back was a former CB&Q GP40 fresh from rebuild and having been assimilated into the "orange dip" swoosh scheme. Athearn released the "as delivered" ATSF 627 D9-44CW in their Genesis line 2 years ago so I had to get it. Scaletrains did recently release the SD40 shown here (one of the first SD40-2's built for BN) but as it's original number, BN 6339 (which later became BN 6916 then 1922 as seen here). The other picture is of the Dash 9 with the Ferromex ES44 (which I've photographed the real one twice) I have on the layout of one of the model RR groups I've joined.

461327812_2234570463594383_1671151850636548006_n.jpg
364795132_1955388151512617_8274464020321969468_n.jpg

I used to never travel without my Husky 41. If I saw it down, I'd cut and take it home. For a few years they cleared the power lines near me and every weekend I was cutting and throwing beech, birch and maple into the truck. The clone 543xp $120 saw I just bought I think will take it's place in the truck bed.
It's possible we are related somehow,, For a long time I traveled with my favorite Jonsered and a maul.. Didn't ride around with an empty grocery getter truck... Sometimes just stop long enough to fill up a Subaru. Nothing like a good physical work out instead of going to a gym.. someone say "free heat"..?

I'm still on my firewood cutting/splitting job, I hired my nephew to help me as he's short on cash right now. Anyway, there were two oak logs in this spot, and we filled a couple boxes with those,

10-24-2404-S.jpg

The 4-way wedge sure speeds up the splitting!

10-24-2403-S.jpg

Then we moved to a BIG pile of logs out in the woods to cut/split there, and we quickly got to work filling more boxes,

10-24-2402-S.jpg

It's really nice to have a "self-propelled" splitter that you can drive out in the woods, and it really kicks-azz when it gets there,

10-24-2401-S.jpg

There's plenty more logs out there to work on, so like Arnie, we'll be back!!

SR

Probably drive like a tank compared to today's standards, but I'd take a 65' Galaxie 500 over just about anything
I learned to drive on a 65 Country Squire with a 390 4bbl that was pre-owned by Charlotte Ford (she got a new car every 6 weeks),

and a 64 Galaxy 500 with a 352 4bbl. That car was pre-owned by a Ford executive that my Dad knew, he got a new car every 6 months.

I so want a 500 with the 427. Saw one at a car show painted deep green and my wife had to drag me away before I did something stupid.
You do know I had a 427 Ford engine in my 1970 Boss Mustang (302 body). The 302 had spun bearings when I bought it and I had purchased the 427 short-block when I was at college. It was a 1966 Holman + Moody seasoned side oiler block with cross bolted mains. The crank had been trued (cut 10 + 20), but it had low riser pistons, so I put 428 CJ heads on it. (Medium and Hi Riser heads had larger combustion chambers and needed pop up pistons). 428 CJ head had valves and combustion chambers like a low riser, but intake ports like a medium riser. They were developed by Tasca Ford because the larger valves on the Medium Riser heads would not fit in the smaller 428 bore.

I used to tell people I had the real Boss Mustang! I had Keystone Mags on it with BFG Radial Trans Am tires (G-60-15)

The Black 68 was a Factory 428 CJ with the 4:30 drag pack option.

Attachments

• Mustangs427+428Mid70s.jpg
    Mustangs427+428Mid70s.jpg
    316.6 KB
The only reasons I don't have a classic Mustang (my favorites are 67-68 Fastbacks followed by 69-70 Fastbacks) is that they are ungodly expensive and far less reliable than the Mustang I currently own. They just cannot compete with the combination of performance, handling, reliability and economy of my current Mustang.

Next on my list would be a 66 or 67 Fairlane.

I'm of the age that I would rather drive it than work on it, so I remain content with what I have. Few of my friends still drive "hotrods"!
I love me a 67-68 fastback, but I will just have to live my life looking at pictures, no average enthusiast can afford one when rusted hulls are selling for 10k. Dad has a '67 coupe that was his first car, its super fun to drive. We put stiffer springs and dropped the front end an inch or so, and put a Ford Racing T5 in it. IT really needs the 289 rebuilt, the crank isn't in the best of shape when we stuck a set of bearings in it 10 years ago. To be super nice it needs a touch of body work and paint but its a super straight/solid car otherwise.

Idk how dad doesn't want to drive it everyday, he might get it out once or twice a year. When I still lived at home I was driving it somewhere at least once per week.

It was a pretty good hike up to the road. Must have been a wild ride. Any clue as to what and how old it is?
View attachment 1213689
Looks like the left overs from one of Warren Yahr's stories about being a smokechaser in Idaho in the 1930s. With winter approaching, Some of you may want to read his book by a fire in the woodstove. https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/smokechaser_warren-yahr/1110691/#edition=2970914&idiq=23517788
Warren was a great guy. His stories are interesting and entertaining. In his later years he taught himself to make violins. From what I understand, they were fine instruments. I know his son and DIL.

One other way you can tell it's harvest season here in the Upper Midwest is when BNSF moves it's "surge fleet" power around for the grain rush. This is the biggest power move I've seen, 29 locomotives.

That's pretty wild. Along the mainline, I'd see them drag an extra engine or 3 in a freight train. or 2-3 engines in a string, but never anything like that. Looks like buffet has them change logos every year. Must have been at least 6 different logos/paint schemes on the orange ones.

Didn't end up getting a chance to work in the 1-76 last night. Talked with my logging buddy after work, decided not to work in the truck. But, he said he'd be over to help work on the shop after dark. So I went home and cleaned up the ness from working on the wood stove, after I added 24" feet to it and wrestled it to its new spot. Got the room cleaned out so we could move around. He came over around 8pm, around 12:20 we had the whole room insulated. save one wall I need to run electric in yet and a few triangle pieces I need to cut out yet. I had the buddy heater going and we ended up turning it back down to one heating element. You could feel the difference till we got done. Room was nice and toasty. Thermometer was up to 70* in the main shop from 60* when we started.

That's pretty wild. Along the mainline, I'd see them drag an extra engine or 3 in a freight train. or 2-3 engines in a string, but never anything like that. Looks like buffet has them change logos every year. Must have been at least 6 different logos/paint schemes on the orange ones.
The story as to all the logo/scheme changes was when BNSF came up with it's "Heritage I" scheme the ATSF people claimed it was "too BN", so then "Heritage II" was created by adding the ATSF cigar band to the nose and changing a few other things (if you ask me this was the dumbest scheme and I don't care for it at all) and everybody was unimpressed with it. But when Berkshire Hathaway (Buffet) took over the new wedge/swoosh "Heritage III" was implemented to squash all the bickering and since then if a locomotive is rebuilt or in need of a full repaint it now gets the H3 (or H4 on the older locomotives, the only difference between H3 and H4 is the yellow striping is narrower on 4). The reason some SD70Macs and some Dash 9s were delivered in the BN Executive or ATSF Warbonnet colors but with BNSF markings was to get motive power out on onto the road ASAP until a new scheme could be created, some Dash 9's were delivered in grey primer until they could get painted. Due to all the differences in the BNSF paint schemes has lead to some interesting "Frankenscheme" locomotives, especially on the Dash 9's that can have up to 4 different paint schemes on 1 locomotive.

Latest posts

Back