Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I never hit post earlier :dumb:.

That's awesome.
Bet he's grateful to have you to do the work on his equipment.

I got the north wall of the main cleared in mine last night. Made a plan to get it finished including thickness of insulation and all the nailers needed to install steel liner in there, which I found for $2ft. The panels are only 6' long and actual outdoor panels, brand new from a canceled order, I can just lap them and two will cover from floor to ceiling(12'). Now to get it all marked out and insulated! Sometime lol. Unfortunately theres a ton to do in order to get it sealed up and ready to heat, and after buying all the wire I did last week, the proverbial pocketbook is a little thin.

Still haven't figured out what I want to heat with, a nice wood stove with a backup propane setup would be nice. Good friend of mine said his brother has an overhead propane unit(maybe a renzor?) and he has a good sized tank for it. He said he never uses it and he'll see what he wants for it if he's interested in selling it.

Ended up getting a couple inches(four pieces of 1/2") added to these two sections in the barn. Also all the "nailers for the panels up, except the top right spacers and the top board, as I ran out of wood. I'll add more insulation between all the nailers and then a 2x4 on the outside of the posts and I think its ready for the liner :rock: in these two sections, still need to get the header moved to flush with the post, behind it insulated and the left side of the bay door. Then I just need to wait for the cash to roll in...
View attachment 1214398
yeah, we do well for each other. He's been a long time family friend, but till I moved down the street I didn't help him out much. We've become very good friends over the past 10 odd years. Gotten me out of more then a few jams, and honesty has kept me in wood for the past 4 years at least. Even all those oak beams I used In the shop he gave me. Really great guy. One of the few I'll drop whatever I'm doing and run to help, no questions asked.
Your shops looking good. Sure takes time and a pile of money to do anything these days. Understand that 100%.

So I was out getting a neighbor a load of firewood. Had scoped the tree I wanted to start with on my Friday run, and gotten everything all set up when I got there yesterday morning. This included putting my 400 in the road on one side, and my gas and oil cans on another side, and then climbing up this steep hill to the tree. I was about 95% of the way through the back cut, so maybe 10 minutes of running saws into the process, when I happen to look up, and see a side by side on the road heading back out to the highway from hunting, maybe 100 yards from where I had the road blocked off. So I stop, and turn off my saw, just out of an abundance of caution. Now, when I've shut the road down before for other trees I know would go across the road on these forest service roads, everyone coming along has ALWAYS stopped. Every single darned time. But not this couple of hunters. They go, without slowing down at all, around my saw, and then around my gas and oil can. I can also assume that they heard my saw running while hang back out to their side by side. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, and freaked out due to being pissed off that they didn't stop, and scared that I honestly could've hit this side by side. So I started my saw back up, and made sure no vehicles were going to drive by, and dropped that tree.
Other than that the tree went where I wanted it to, right in this hole between a bunch of spruce, and bucking it was a piece of cake.

So I was out getting a neighbor a load of firewood. Had scoped the tree I wanted to start with on my Friday run, and gotten everything all set up when I got there yesterday morning. This included putting my 400 in the road on one side, and my gas and oil cans on another side, and then climbing up this steep hill to the tree. I was about 95% of the way through the back cut, so maybe 10 minutes of running saws into the process, when I happen to look up, and see a side by side on the road heading back out to the highway from hunting, maybe 100 yards from where I had the road blocked off. So I stop, and turn off my saw, just out of an abundance of caution. Now, when I've shut the road down before for other trees I know would go across the road on these forest service roads, everyone coming along has ALWAYS stopped. Every single darned time. But not this couple of hunters. They go, without slowing down at all, around my saw, and then around my gas and oil can. I can also assume that they heard my saw running while hang back out to their side by side. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted, and freaked out due to being pissed off that they didn't stop, and scared that I honestly could've hit this side by side. So I started my saw back up, and made sure no vehicles were going to drive by, and dropped that tree.
Other than that the tree went where I wanted it to, right in this hole between a bunch of spruce, and bucking it was a piece of cake.
Some people are just after Darwin awards. We need to let more idjits collect their Darwin awards, and have less "safeties" to protect idjits from themselves. An old logger friend asked me to look at his washing machine. It has a lock for the lid. That is ridiculous. anyone stupid enough to reach in while the tub is spinning deserves to have their arm twisted off. I remember the old "Easy" washers with extractor like extra high speed spin in an open tub. Nobody i ever heard of got their arm twisted off. Back then idjits were allowed to collect their Darwin awards. Common sense, folks!

Unfortunately, it is very common for rail trail users to walk/bicycle right into a tree work zone. A “traffic cop” doesn’t stop some of them… This is one reason I set the hinge with a plunge cut and use a trigger whenever possible. It gives me one last chance to make sure there are no users creeping up on getting swatted.😉

Back