skidding logs with a tractor? or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would never own one (unless it was free, but then I would trade it for a shuttle shift geared one) because I don't have flat land that I would only be brush hogging. you lose more pto hp with hst, more filters to change, cost about $3500 more. every dealer I talked to said if I want to skid logs, plow, disc, go with gear drive, but if I am brush hogging open flat fields and want the wife to drive it, then get a hst
CORRECT

You must have had the only Farmall A that was ever built, that had a diff lock!

SR
YEAH, 10-4 on that. I suspect a lot of younger folks probably never heard of cutting brakes, and certainly would have no concept of how effective they were.

Maybe M&W made a diff lock to add on for B & C. It would also work on A. I've never heard of a diff lock on any letter tractors. But every one is different. For the hundreds of thousands of H and M made, I have never seen 2 identical. Diff lock on an A raised my eyebrows too. I loved the A for what it would do. Never thought of using one for skidding, but we always had bigger tractors available.
My dad and his hunting buddies used a full sized Farmall for hunting the Slana River valley in the 60's. Economical, reliable, never broke, and always got us where we were going. Back-in-the-day :)

Attachments

• Skagway 1964-67 - 9 - 0001.JPG
    5 MB
  • Skagway 1964-67 - 3 - 0007.JPG
    3.2 MB
  • Skagway 1964-67 - 3 - 0011.JPG
    3.9 MB
  • Skagway 1964-67 - 5 - 0002.JPG
    5.8 MB
  • Skagway 1964-67 - 2 - 0006.JPG
    3.3 MB
My dad and his hunting buddies used a full sized Farmall for hunting the Slana River valley in the 60's. Economical, reliable, never broke, and always got us where we were going. Back-in-the-day :)
I pulled camping gear into Caribou Hills with my tractor and a trailer.

SR

You use it as a hobby machine, ie your livelihood doesn't depend on it working, you're not using it to farm. That's called hobby use. Same as I use my most of my equipment.
My current tractors stand just as much chance of making it 80+ years as anything from 1940 does. Wait, the numbers are grossly in my favor. 5 models of tractors, sharing 3 engines, and 4 transmissions. Hundreds of thousands of tractors sold in the 25 year production run, even the newer machines share 70%+ parts. Oh, whait the engines used are the D05 series, prolific in industrial use, million more made and sold to this very day.
In 1979 kubota celebrated selling 700,000 tractors and has sold over 1 million tractors in the usa alone to this date. Compact and sub compact tractors make up the majority of their sales. (FYI, nearly all the tractors kubota make are made nere in America too.)
The 9n in all its variants, didn't total 100,000 units built and sold.
so to put it simply, yes my crap will still be around, your old junk will run out of parts and fade to memory just like all antique stuff does.

105,000 9N, 160,000 2N, 442,000 8N , 267,000 Ford-Ferguson

Back