skidding logs with a tractor? or?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oifla

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, doing some homestead logging in Owen County, Indiana (very hilly country). I'm mostly dragging downed trees out of the hills and hollers at this point. Looking for a tractor with a loader and 4wd to handle traction issues.

Recommendations? I can buy new (but somewhat limited by budget and really hate the idea of getting a diesel with Regen and all the emissions junk on it) or used but wouldn't want to spend more than $15K.

Or should I be looking for something else (ski loader? skid steer? dozer?). I know some of you guys are using professional machines. Again, this is a homestead operation, not doing it as a business.

Thanks!
O.

Now, back to the real world. Friends of mine do just fine with a little Kubota. I did have to remind one of them, who was complaining about not being able to pull a large log, that unless he actually needed it to be long, he could cut it and make it a shorter length. They are limited to flattish ground because the other ground is quite steep. They also mow, plow, and haul stuff around so it's good to have a tractor for that.

A winch on the tractor would be handy to have. You could pull line out and up onto the steep ground if you had a winch. The tractor would stay on the flatter ground and winch the logs in. But we're starting to get into skidder territory....so keep it simple and be aware of the tippiness of your choice.

The manly rifle is not a requirement in the woods out here.

Back