Dilemma....Echo 70cc vs Clone 90cc saw. What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good question, the topic of a conversation with a friend this past weekend. My "supplier " has two 36"+ Ash trees that the power company is taking down. I have a CS-620P with a 24" bar that will do the work but will take awhile.
I cannot rationalize Stihl/Husqvarna prices for a saw that will sit on the shelf for 360+ days a year.
If the saw will be sitting that long just rent one when needed.

If the saw will be sitting that long just rent one when needed.
None of the rental houses around here have anything that big. & bucking and removing the wood will take a few weeks depending on what's going on at home etc. I imagine I'll bring a splitter there and split as I go. It would be handy to have a bigger saw on the shelf and these trees would rationalize getting a bigger saw.

This Echo CS-670 has been a fine performer for me. I am amazed at how much power that Echo produces from their saws:
View attachment 1210061As you see, it was easy for me to take a Stihl bar and mount it with a shop-made adapter. This saw will run even up with a Stihl MS460.
Many won’t accept this. However, I have a 680, and run other 70cc saws, such as my 372, and I agree with you. The 372 is more pleasurable to throw around but my 680 at only 66.7cc will pull and oil a 32 inch bar better. Not to mention, that 680 is old and has some miles on it and is still my most reliable saw. It’s a slower cutting saw and most don’t know how to use it but I find it quite nice with its 15lb powerhead and rubber antivibe.

This Echo CS-670 has been a fine performer for me. I am amazed at how much power that Echo produces from their saws:
View attachment 1210061As you see, it was easy for me to take a Stihl bar and mount it with a shop-made adapter. This saw will run even up with a Stihl MS460.
But a 460? You sure? I’ve run them along side 044’s and they are darn close, but not a 460? I’ve run a 461 and it’s noticeably stronger.

I'll be the one to say it.. Stihl ms462...Couple bucks more but worth the cheddar. The bigger saw I own is a ms460 and it wears a 28" bar, it will cut that 40" tree into manageable rounds quickly leaving you less fatigued with lots of time to spare after. It sits most of the time because its heavy and large but when it's needed for a big tree its there and dead reliable to work all day without fail.

I'll be the one to say it.. Stihl ms462...Couple bucks more but worth the cheddar. The bigger saw I own is a ms460 and it wears a 28" bar, it will cut that 40" tree into manageable rounds quickly leaving you less fatigued with lots of time to spare after. It sits most of the time because its heavy and large but when it's needed for a big tree its there and dead reliable to work all day without fail.
And the 460/461/462 are higher displacement saws, with quite the power increase over the 70cc saws.

Considering what you have posted about the size and amount of the oak "a couple" why not save another $500 and get an Echo Timberwolf. It would do the job on those trees and be a lighter more useful saw going forward. A 90cc clone is nice to have on the shelf I guess but unless you are going to run a mill or something I don't see the value of that heavy saw for the average person.

What would you do? Buy the 7310, or a 660 clone?

Most members here put their wote on the Echo, and I totally agree, if money is no object. If a working saw is essentials for your income, choose the most reliable and buy the Echo.

If not - save a great deal of money and go for a good clone.

The 660 is probably the most reliable of the clonesaws out there and it is sold a huge amount of them. There are also quite av few US sellers who check each nyt and bolt prior to shipping to end users.

If you are to sell a saw OEM or Clone, you will not get the same price as you paid for a new saw. OEM might give you 60% if retail price back and a clone 40% back. Do the math and se on what saw giving the most loss in $.

Saws are just a hobby for me and I own to many already. Both OEM`s and Clones. In the 70CC range i have a HQ372 Clone from Farmertec in the Pro series. When bucking i run this with a 20" and 24" sword. The 3/8 chain kept sharp and it eats through without problems. Also have a few Dolmar OEM saws in the same CC area, but the Farmertec/Holzfforma is my goto saw for bucking. So far, just have had to replace a bar nut, but thats my own fault not tightening enough. It`s thirsty and swallows a lot of fuel. Don`t know how the Echo are when it comes to fuel economy vs the 372.

I also have a 660 clone, but it is seldom used as i find it to heavy with its 32" sword.

So my reccomendation would be to try out a clonesaw - the G372xp Pro seems to be perfect for both wallet and needs.

/Espen

Another note on the 7310, besides power, reliability etc. is the pure simplicity that can't be beat. The first time I removed the carb, I was floored that it took <2 minutes. No crazy wiring or ridiculous stuff to remove and re-route, just plain old carb and gas line tubing. For being an older design, Echo really thought every bit of this saw out very well.

In this case, a CS-7310 would be the pick.

The AV is great and will pull a 32" just fine in Oak.

Mad3400

In this case, a CS-7310 would be the pick.

The AV is great and will pull a 32" just fine in Oak.

Mad3400
Echos are always a few ounces heavier and a few seconds slower than their competition, which makes them garbage in many’s eyes, however the trend seems to be, they hit above their weight class with longer than recommended bar lengths. I’ve experienced this personally with the 670/680’s, 7310, and the 620 vs the ms362. I like most Husqvarna offerings over Echo but most Echo hate is just cap.

Latest posts

Back