Stihl 024 Rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up an 024 cheap at an estate sale a while back. Chains that were with it NIB were worth more than I paid for the saw. Basically left it laying around until recently, and got it out as a spare during storm cleanup. After a carb cleaning it would run fine briefly, then lose power. Piston didn't appear scored, but after working through everything else I could think of, pulled the jug, and found a broken upper ring. Zero scoring on the piston or jug. Aside from the gaskets, anything else I should be doing while I'm in there?

IMG_7568.JPEG

Get an OEM gasket set they come with seals.

Look over the chamfers on the ports since you had a broken ring.

Check P/C clearance at the skirt. If you don't have mics feeler gauges will give you a rough idea. New is ~ 0.002-0.0025", if you are getting close to twice that might be time to think about the piston.

Good time to replace impulse and fuel hoses (check filter). Look over the intake boot real well for cracks. If you have the tools a pres/vac test when it's back together.

Did you put a kit in the carb when you cleaned it?

Back