Stihl 026 problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonstc6

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up an 026 a while back and the compression was only 120 psi. So I pulled the cylinder and replaced the piston rings. The cylinder and piston looked great with no scoring. I put the saw back together and the compression went up to 155 psi. I didn't change the bearings because they turned smooth. I did not replace the seals either. I installed a ms260 gas tank because the old one leaked. I also installed a new ms260 air filter (stens) I rebuilt the original carburetor (non compensator) and when you try to start the saw it will run for about 20 seconds and the die. You can immediately pull it again and it will run another 20 or so seconds. I had an aftermarket carburetor with the compensator and I installed it. I am having the same problem with the new carburetor. I tried screwing in the jets all the way and turning them out to 1 turn. I also tried 1.5 turns on the low. What could be wrong? I'm thinking that it isn't a carburetor issue because the problem didn't change with a new carburetor.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess either the fuel hose is kinked (even if it's new), tank vent is plugged, impulse hose is cracked or unplugged, or your fuel filter is restricted really badly.

I will check all those things tomorrow.
Thanks

I've checked everything above. I didn't do anything with the fuel filter since it is new. Now the saw will only run when I put gas on the air filter.

The only thing I can think it could be would be the fuel line.
526f9ac6a588f6c5a6d983e9df853ef8.jpg
47ddaa0d082f273204a3d77666b167a9.jpg

What do you guys think?

If u haven't already I would use an new OEM fuel line and filter, make sure nothing is getting pinched or kinked when you mount the carb and make sure you have good clean fuel in the tank. Some times bad fuel comes from the pump or some contamination may be in the jug u use before filling it. Eliminate all the easy possibilities of being the problem 1st.

The only thing I can think it could be would be the fuel line.
526f9ac6a588f6c5a6d983e9df853ef8.jpg
47ddaa0d082f273204a3d77666b167a9.jpg

What do you guys think?

Kill switch wire looks chaffed. Could be grounding out on AV mount. My 026 was doing this at idle and just wasn't running right at WOT. New wires and she's good as new.

I will patch the insulation on the switch wire. In my pictures does my fuel line look kinked?
Thanks. Is there a different way to turn it so it isn't kinked?
Thanks

Just going to throw this out there, and I don't know how you can test for it due to it always starting back up, but it could be the coil assembly. I have had coils that would get hot while running and stop firing.

What happens when it dies and you are "into" the throttle. Does it bog down, stutter, cut in and out, fall flat on its face or how does it die?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I know you said new fuel filter how about the line? And how much fuel is in the tank? If your using a am fuel filter it could be catching lots of air at 1/4 tank or less fuel line and impulse lines are a big thing on these lil saws small leak big issue

I know you said new fuel filter how about the line? And how much fuel is in the tank? If your using a am fuel filter it could be catching lots of air at 1/4 tank or less fuel line and impulse lines are a big thing on these lil saws small leak big issue
Also make sure the steel ring is in the intake boot since you changed the carb out

I will patch the insulation on the switch wire. In my pictures does my fuel line look kinked?
Thanks. Is there a different way to turn it so it isn't kinked?
Thanks

It's twisty,but doesn't look kinked. I'll snap a pic of mine tomorrow.

The fuel line is used but it looked good and I couldn't find any holes in it. The saw had about 1/2 a tank of fuel. And yes the steel ring is inside the boot.

Check the choke flapper closely that it is being actuated fully by the lever, and that the round part of the flapper is not misaligned with hole, causing the choke not to function properly. Aftermarket 024/ 026, 028, and 038 filters are notoriously crappy quality. I won't use anything but OEM on those models because of the issues I've seen on aftermarket ones.
If no luck there, then
perhaps you need to do a crankcase pressure and vacuum test.
There are many posts on here about the proceedure.
Intake boot leak can cause the symptom you describe, as well as a cylinder base gasket leaking.

Check the choke flapper closely that it is being actuated fully by the lever, and that the round part of the flapper is not misaligned with hole, causing the choke not to function properly. Aftermarket 024/ 026, 028, and 038 filters are notoriously crappy quality. I won't use anything but OEM on those models because of the issues I've seen on aftermarket ones.
If no luck there, then
perhaps you need to do a crankcase pressure and vacuum test.
There are many posts on here about the proceedure.
Intake boot leak can cause the symptom you describe, as well as a cylinder base gasket leaking.

Thanks, I'll check that too.

b8a0c6fdceda622760ab51d0abc1722b.jpg

53d69d39ae7ee8da55f2cd6489e68a94.jpg

Here's my 026 with ms260 fuel line. Looks the same as yours. I don't think that's the problem.

Thanks, now the saw only runs on gas in the carburetor. I don't know why it's being so agrivativing. I have tried to get 4 saws running this past week and no luck on any of them.

Back