Stihl 044 10mm vs 12mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread(ancient) I know but any information from those more knowledgeable will be appreciated. I rebuilt my old saw (1991 labeled Stihl 044) purchased new in my youth. Rebuild was complete with OEM parts(piston/rigs, bearings, seals, rubbers and such plus a very through cleaning) 5 or 6 years ago with parts through my local Stihl dealer. Very thorough rebuild by serial number which equaled much time with local dealer and a few mismatched parts initially. With newer comparable saws my old 044 is semi-retired but still used on occasion(20" bar 3/8" & 8p currently). No wish to sell. I am a saw nerd(nerd-at-heart) and hoping someone might shed some light on my old saw as I see these details come up on occasion regarding the 044. Just out of curiosity and inertest in our hobby. Serial # is x13270871 with 1991 emission label. Is my saw a 10mm or 12mm? Straight finned or slanted? The control level is black. She is still running stong. Any details about the small nuisances or details appreciated, My use for my old 044 is limited and somewhat nostalisic, I used to cut with Dad(now passed). Just enjoying/appreciating an older model Stihl. Sorry for the long thread, just curious. Many thanks, Spooky

***EDIT*** This thread seemed the most relavent though truely old thread to my intresest in the vairiables of the 044 versions

There seems to be several different variations of this model(Stihl 044) with not many clear cut charts(?) of the variations of the variation/serial # or year varitions. IDK(???), just trying to see the subtle differences. The 044 seems to be a popular/desirable model of an older Stihl model

There seems to be several different variations of this model(Stihl 044) with not many clear cut charts(?) of the variations of the variation/serial # or year varitions. IDK(???), just trying to see the subtle differences. The 044 seems to be a popular/desirable model of an older Stihl model
I believe Your saw is a 12mm the 10mms ended at 129xxxx that being said. could still be a slant fin as mahle made some slant fin 12mms

Or I may have just missed the
I believe Your saw is a 12mm the 10mms ended at 129xxxx that being said. could still be a slant fin as mahle made some slant fin 12mms
Thank you for your reply. I think from memory Mahle is correct for my saw. OEM jug is present and is/ was in usable condion. Piston/rings and needle bearing were replced. There was a little back and forth with my dealer getting things accurate on my end for my particulare 044 saw. To be fair, they(dealer) seemed a little lost despite having the serial numbers and saw present but we got it done in the end. Multiple variations? Nice being able to get an almost ~30 year old saw running strong again. Compression was around IIRC ~120-130PSI pre-rebuild if I recall corectly. Need to check current PSI. I am still pleased with my old 044. Getting an old girl working agian is a plus. *Note-use/clearing personal land is again a priorty/need.

Or I may have just missed the

Thank you for your reply. I think from memory Mahle is correct for my saw. OEM jug is present and is/ was in usable condion. Piston/rings and needle bearing were replced. There was a little back and forth with my dealer getting things accurate on my end for my particulare 044 saw. To be fair, they(dealer) seemed a little lost despite having the serial numbers and saw present but we got it done in the end. Multiple variations? Nice being able to get an almost ~30 year old saw running strong again. Compression was around IIRC ~120-130PSI pre-rebuild if I recall corectly. Need to check current PSI. I am still pleased with my old 044. Getting an old girl working agian is a plus. *Note-use/clearing personal land is again a priorty/need.
I understand
@Laslabjohn Thanks again. A "DUH" moment on my part regarding the slant or straight fin I could have just looked. Yes, it is a slant fin. And will be 12mm going by the serial #. Thanks again for your time
You are very welcome…

Old thread(ancient) I know but any information from those more knowledgeable will be appreciated. I rebuilt my old saw (1991 labeled Stihl 044) purchased new in my youth. Rebuild was complete with OEM parts(piston/rigs, bearings, seals, rubbers and such plus a very through cleaning) 5 or 6 years ago with parts through my local Stihl dealer. Very thorough rebuild by serial number which equaled much time with local dealer and a few mismatched parts initially. With newer comparable saws my old 044 is semi-retired but still used on occasion(20" bar 3/8" & 8p currently). No wish to sell. I am a saw nerd(nerd-at-heart) and hoping someone might shed some light on my old saw as I see these details come up on occasion regarding the 044. Just out of curiosity and inertest in our hobby. Serial # is x13270871 with 1991 emission label. Is my saw a 10mm or 12mm? Straight finned or slanted? The control level is black. She is still running stong. Any details about the small nuisances or details appreciated, My use for my old 044 is limited and somewhat nostalisic, I used to cut with Dad(now passed). Just enjoying/appreciating an older model Stihl. Sorry for the long thread, just curious. Many thanks, Spooky

***EDIT*** This thread seemed the most relavent though truely old thread to my intresest in the vairiables of the 044 versions
Good on you for rebuilding it right. Many of the guys on here would throw cheap Chinese knocknoff parts at it.
You did it the right way.

Back