Stihl 064 from '98

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a heck of a deal to me if there is nothing wrong with it.

Yea, hope so! I'll keep you all posted :) Can't wait till saturday!!

Doesn't the weight of the 064 vary a bit with how old it is?
If it is like me, it gets heavier w/ age :)

Lol, I don't know but if I buy it, i'll post the weight. On other topics here (http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/63453-3.htm), they say the 064 weighs 6.8 kg (=15 lbs). The manual on stihlusa.com shows 7.1 kg (= 15.65 lbs) on page 58. So don't know if Stihl is changing the weight to promote newer saws (like they do in their catalog sometimes) or there really is a weight difference. Also depends on the air filter, the classic or HD one I guess.

It's mine

Picked up the saw today. First had a test with it and cut down a tree (around 20"). Saw runs good (not perfect, seemed it wasn't performing on its max. Carb settings not correct or/and fuel mix), had plenty of power in the cut. Great acceleration! As soon as I have time, I'll open it up and start cleaning it and check everything. Has a 20" bar on it now, in better shape than it looks on the photo. But probably will get a 25" to run on it in the future.

Had a quick look at it, checked the piston and cylinder through the sparkplug hole. Cylinder looks good, piston has a little black layer on top of it, too much oil in the mix I think. The spark plug was also pretty black (but could clean it pretty easy). Muffler had some crap in it, so needs a good clean as well. Flywheel in good condition, so are the air filters and carb. Bar is in a decent condition, deep enough to run a .404 chain but running 3/8 so can use it for quite a while. 2 chains 30% and 1 brand new chain.

Will get a new sparkplug and run it a bit with my own fuel mix, but should probably open it up when I've got time. Also need a new rim sprocket, chain catcher, scabbard. Also the top shroud is missing a little piece like you see on the pictures, probably not gonna replace that :)

Pictures are made with my phone, so could be better. When I start working on the saw, I'll use a better camera. By then, I'll probably open a new topic with the question I may have and pictures! :)

View attachment 259486
View attachment 259487
View attachment 259485

Last edited:

Lol, I don't know but if I buy it, i'll post the weight. On other topics here (http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/63453-3.htm), they say the 064 weighs 6.8 kg (=15 lbs). The manual on stihlusa.com shows 7.1 kg (= 15.65 lbs) on page 58. So don't know if Stihl is changing the weight to promote newer saws (like they do in their catalog sometimes) or there really is a weight difference. Also depends on the air filter, the classic or HD one I guess.

They did with the 440 and 460, when the 441 came out....

As far as I know, the first 064s were the lighter ones, and believe that actually was the case with those.

They did with the 440 and 460, when the 441 came out....

As far as I know, the first 064s were the lighter ones, and believe that actually was the case with those.

Haven't had the chance to weigh the saw yet and still waiting on some smaller parts to finish it (replaced some minor things for a total of €35). When it's ready, i'll weigh it. But the manual of this shows 7.1kg (15.65lbs).

You said in a previous post that it was not running real well and that the plug was black. That indicates to me that it is running rich, If the carb is set right the plug would be medium to dark tan. Tom

You said in a previous post that it was not running real well and that the plug was black. That indicates to me that it is running rich, If the carb is set right the plug would be medium to dark tan. Tom

The carb runs at basic settings, so isn't the problem. But the seller explained me afterwards how he mixed the fuel and he used more oil than recommended (just to be safe) so probably why the plug was rather black then dark tan. Will have the parts on wednesday and have the chance to test it. If new plug gets black also, I'll have to do some digging. But think it will be fine.

The carb runs at basic settings, so isn't the problem. But the seller explained me afterwards how he mixed the fuel and he used more oil than recommended (just to be safe) so probably why the plug was rather black then dark tan. Will have the parts on wednesday and have the chance to test it. If new plug gets black also, I'll have to do some digging. But think it will be fine.

Can you provide some detailed pictures of the air filter assembly on your 064? ..........:clap:

Can you provide some detailed pictures of the air filter assembly on your 064? ..........:clap:

Here you go:
attachment.php
[/URL]
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

I found a brochure from 1986-03, stating the weight of the 064 as 6.4 kg/14.1 lbs.

The file is too large to attach it here though (2.27mb)......

Haven't had the chance to weigh the saw yet and still waiting on some smaller parts to finish it (replaced some minor things for a total of €35). When it's ready, i'll weigh it. But the manual of this shows 7.1kg (15.65lbs).
I found a brochure from 1986-03, stating the weight of the 064 as 6.4 kg/14.1 lbs.
The file is too large to attach it here though (2.27mb)......
You have the lighter setup, with the non-HD filter setup.
Just put the saw on a scale, showed 7.3kg (=16.10lbs) with +-80% both oil and fuel but without bar, side cap, chain sprocket. Those parts were around 0.3kg (=0.66lbs).

Thank you for providing excellent pictures of the air filter system. With your photo contribution there appears to be many different filtration systems provided on the 064's throughout the various years of manufacture.
If I remember correct, this is the same system (or pretty much the same) as our 066 had, bought between 1995 and 2000 I think. This is a 064 from 1998 with a 20inch bar and 8-tooth chain sprocket (=standard set up, in the manual).

I wonder if it has a limited ignition ?
If it is limited, it should have CDIC printed on the coil? I'll check that tomorrow. I've read that the limited version couldn't be pushed over the max RPM by changing the carb, but also that people changed it with a non-limited for easier starting or because the limited version faded. What would be best, limited or not? Limited in good condition probably? I know it runs on pretty high rpm's free load. So not faded or not limited I think :D

Last edited:
If it is limited, it should have CDIC printed on the coil? I'll check that tomorrow. I've read that the limited version couldn't be pushed over the max RPM by changing the carb, but also that people changed it with a non-limited for easier starting or because the limited version faded. What would be best, limited or not? Limited in good condition probably? I know it runs on pretty high rpm's free load. So not faded or not limited I think

Some of the 064's in the U.S were limited, but did not have the red light. They had a particular tuning procedure. I read that in one of Lakesides posts. Other than that I'm clueless.

Any weight for comparison is meaningless unless both tanks are dry and all parts on it.
Yea, need to wait till it's up and running. Still waiting on the clutch springs to finish it.

Some of the 064's in the U.S were limited, but did not have the red light. They had a particular tuning procedure. I read that in one of Lakesides posts. Other than that I'm clueless.
This one doesn't have the red light. More info tomorrow :)

Good thread. I've never seen an 064 without the HD filter setup, with my own eyes.

Latest posts

Back