Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use sealant on the case halves......but it's not a have to thing at all. We assemble a lot of saws that may have been handled rough. People with drive crap between the case halves to split them, they may have been a victim of shrapnel damage, etc. We've just made using Loctite 518 on the case a part of our routine.

On the Meteor piston.......no worries there. They are a fine piece of work. I've used them rather than OEM in some cases. Even when I had a choice. In certain saws the Meteor is a little wider on the skirts, or has the pins in a little better place.
Randy, you like the 518 better than yamabond or just use it on case only?

I use 518 everywhere. It never hardens unless it's in an area less than .030" thick. That means it will wash away in the case, and transfers. Downside of it that it needs to cure.

Oh yeah.....very good stuff. I clean both parts with carb cleaner......then coat both with a thin layer, assemble, and wait 12 hours before starting the unit.

Hey Dan. If you are short a saw you could borrow my top handle echo to get you through. Hell you wouldn't even have to clean it before you return it !!!! HAHA. Can't wait to see the new and improved 064 the old version was quite impressive

And one question Dan.How did the first soccer game go for the boys? Those giant arms didn't slow Matt down too much did they?

Hey thanks John! Did either of yours look this bad?
d0fc345f0ba54c8248ab1e2d3525e567.jpg

Exactly what the 341 looked like. Guess i should do something about that before I use it again

pretty well.....hard to tell, i have nothing in the yard worthy lol. when it gets broke in some it will get a 32 and 3/4 wrap. then it goes to the woods to see how it stacks up compared to the ported 660 for falling.

Very cool! When mine was stock I cut with a 32" and 28". I have a 28" ES Light waiting for it when it comes home. Good luck on the 3/4 wrap! If you go oem you need the holy grail chain brake handle. I have the Madsens on mine and it works with the standard chain brake. They are unavailable now so it might be tough to get a wrap on it!

I think the cgraham wrap is the only way to go now. The 3/4 factory wrap is kinda wonky to some because the top handle runs parallel with the gunning sights instead of the traditional angle that the half wraps use.

Back