Stihl 064 Rebuild and Restoration!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I was! Found out later that my son took videos of me taking a couple trees down. The tree before the big one the saw is really four stroking. Hard to tell in the big tree because the bar was buried most of the time. I didnt hear any changes in the tone or pitch. Didnt sound like it was screaming?

Nope all OEM except for the wrap handle and hardware for the dogs! Now it will have a Meteor piston.
Dan, Gutted for you after all your efforts and from what i see always methodical in your work.Im concerned now as this is a first case assy for me, when you prepare the two halves is it practice to apply a sealant to the surfaces first as well as the gasket or Just the gasket?I have used hylomar[blue] on other parts is that right for this application..?
I would feel better if i had a workshop manual,be grateful to anyone who could link me to one
Id say we are all looking fwd to to the final chapter in this story!Keep us posted
Reg,Bruce

Hey Dan, I found a leak in that exact same spot on my 064 after running it for only 15 minutes. Luckily I caught mine as soon as I heard the tune going south. Sorry for your bad luck, but your saw is going to be in good hands now.

Nope all OEM except for the wrap handle and hardware for the dogs! Now it will have a Meteor piston.
Are you concerned about having an aftermarket piston? Cuz... I might have an NOS piston sitting here on a shelf ;)... I don't have a jug, does Randy have an extra one for you??

We use sealant on the case halves......but it's not a have to thing at all. We assemble a lot of saws that may have been handled rough. People with drive crap between the case halves to split them, they may have been a victim of shrapnel damage, etc. We've just made using Loctite 518 on the case a part of our routine.

On the Meteor piston.......no worries there. They are a fine piece of work. I've used them rather than OEM in some cases. Even when I had a choice. In certain saws the Meteor is a little wider on the skirts, or has the pins in a little better place.

Hey PA Dan what does your serial number start with or if you'd like to you could pm it to me. I'm just curious if our saws are close together being that mine leaked in the exact same spot.

Here it is.
854e27fd54d353780beae60366220491.jpg

Well, here's mine the day I picked it up. Kind of close...
da4azare.jpg

I wonder how many of these 064's died for the same reason?

I hope you block sanded the case halves on a sheet of glass. The one I had sand blasted and powder coated was significantly untrue and leaked badly. Fortunately, I was able to block it flat, then used sealant. IMHO, the case halves should be bolted together with old bearings and seals still installed when blasted. The magnesium is so soft that the blasting will eat it right away.

Update...well I havent posted much on the 064 project for a while and am finally able to! Went out and cut the five pines a couple weeks ago and the saw was awesome!
dac5954962164098a61a8385a6a74197.jpg
04c8a5b0adb6a417d54b07f1b95abb53.jpg
it sounded great and ran better than expected! I got the chance to run my buddys 562! I really liked that saw! The big pine ended up being 41" across!
f7ad3b8f7bdb66db2ad25e3aae4e9b54.jpg
6b1ff6d3c1ac26c3025af9edd384175e.jpg
a7a14eb97a9796257644fc3369e9f1a4.jpg
Here's JBA doing his thing on the pines!
a62b78f000e01676e4f08dd9bd070e4a.jpg

Hey dan what the hell happened with that stump :eek:...:)

I hope you block sanded the case halves on a sheet of glass. The one I had sand blasted and powder coated was significantly untrue and leaked badly. Fortunately, I was able to block it flat, then used sealant. IMHO, the case halves should be bolted together with old bearings and seals still installed when blasted. The magnesium is so soft that the blasting will eat it right away.

That is exactly the way I think it should be done as well.

Back