Stihl Consumer/Semi-Pro Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two of them. They were an 029, and an 029 super. They are an O.K. saw, but too heavy and bulky for the horsepower rating. That is hard for me to say because I am a Stihl man! I think it is worth the extra hundred bucks to get an 026 (MS260) 3.5 horsepower, 10.5 lbs. Or better yet, an 036 Pro.

I agree with toolmaker. They may serve a purpose, and I know people who cut firewood with them, but they are heavy and a little bulky. If you are trying to save a few dollars, there are better saws out there in the $300-$350 price range. If you really want a Stihl, I personally think the 036 is an excellent choice for a frequent firewood cutter. The 026 is a good saw, but I wouldn't want one to be my only saw (a little to small).

Considering that many homeowners buy a saw, run cheap 2-cycle oil, never sharpen the chain, dig in the dirt/concrete, then park the saw in a corner till the next garage sale, the 029 is about perfect for this type of consumer. So is any POS homelite/craftsman/etc. from a box store.
If you are willing/able to properly use and maintain a saw, the 029 would suffice for occassional use.

Sorry for the tangent, but my neighbor just spent all afternoon yesterday grinding through limbs/dirt/stumps with a POS homelite, chain falling off, making all kinds of work for himself. And I had offered to help him for free but he was 'fully capable'. I'd have done all he accomplished and more in about 20 minutes.

The homeowner saws DO serve a purpose.I enjoy readings the thoughts posted on this board,some of them make a little sence.
When all is said and done,it's the saw buyer's opinion that counts the most,after all they will be using the saw over the years,not those offering their opinions.
If you need a 046 to cut all your firewood,thats fine,you're using the saw,not me.
Instead of buying 1 pro saw I opted to buy 2 homeowner saws.A 021 and MS290,which gives me a back-up if 1 saw fails.The MS290 is used on stumps,logs and wood 12" and greater diameter.The sweet little 021 is used on floppers and wood up to around 12" diameter.I use the 021 much more then the 290,but the 290 makes short work of the bigger wood.
Paid around $600.00 for both saws,2 cases and 2 extra chains.
They're the combo that's right for me,I don't know what's right for you:rolleyes:

My view is that the "cheap" Stihls are not bad consumer saws, but they're overpriced and slightly overhyped. I could get a quality, well-designed saw like a JD Efco for what an 029 would run.

Personally, I just buy used high end saws. A $35 110cc chainsaw does that to me.

The consumer saws work well for the consumer who does not want to spend the extra 100 dollars for the pro models. Are other consumer saws better built? I look to my scrap pile for the answer. 1 029, crunched by a tree. Many other colors in the pile.
Are they heavy, yes. Do they perform well? 9 out of 10 customers tell me how happy they are with these models. Does a good service department have anything to do with it? Absolutely!
Take one out and try it, then you decide.

Latest posts

Back