Stihl Kombi

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if the attachment clamp, on the Stihl Kombi's, will mount to the end of a FS90?
I was just at Ace hardware that sold Stihl. Well it seems Stihl is making an extension peace for the Kombi's for $60. I was thinking of buying the extension, the pole pruner attachment and the clamp off a Kombi machine. I don't really wanna spend the $400 to buy a pole saw that i will use every now and then. If i had know they sold an extension i probably would have bought a Kombi machine.
Anyways I asked the parts guy if the clamp would mount to my FS 90 and he said no. he didn't bother looking up nothing so i walked out. Has anybody tried this?

I've got the Kombi pole saw with an extension. I will have to check, but I don't think the pole saw attachment will go on the extension. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

hmmmm

i think he means at the end of the fs 90 which is a weedeater ive wondered the same thing im sure they make it a lil bit different size to stop ya from poping off the trimmer head and mounting the chainsaw head but i have an echo pole pruner and its way bigger dont know on the stihl!

They do make a pole saw head that will bolt right on to the end of the fs90 but you end up with a pretty short pole saw.

I wanted to try taking the kombi chainsaw attachment, make it fit to my fs90 by also buying the clamp that connects the 2 ends.

Well i bought the 37" extension after i posted this. The clamp will fit right onto the end of my fs90 after you have removed the weed wacker end. The next problem is getting them to connect. At the end of my weed wacker shaft is a "male" end and it must connect to a "female" end in order for it to work. Well with the kombi system, the shaft end coming off of the machine is a "female" end. All the attachments are ''male'' end shafts.

Lucky for me my Stihl dealer said he would take my fs90 in on trade so i can buy a km110. If i had known Stihl made an extension peace, i would have bought a kombi.

I think you can just buy the powerhead that will fit on the solid shaft trimmers. That way you could have a polesaw on a FS90, but if your gonna do that you might as well get the kombi.

I am thinking of getting a KM110 as well to act as a edger/pruner/trimmer.

I think you can just buy the powerhead that will fit on the solid shaft trimmers. That way you could have a polesaw on a FS90, but if your gonna do that you might as well get the kombi.

I am thinking of getting a KM110 as well to act as a edger/pruner/trimmer.

A dealer told me that 10 years ago, when i bought my FS85R, that i could put the pole saw head on the end of my trimmer. The only problem is its not very long. I want something that will be longggg. Then you might say just buy a pole saw. I was trying to cheat the system by using a Kombi clamp and attaching the pole saw end to my FS90R. I could just buy a new Kombi shaft, cut the femal end of it off and weld it to my extension shaft........

But i just got to thinking and realized that the shaft in the pole saw is a double male shaft that goes into a female end on the pole saw head. Pretty much, if i go buy the pole saw head today, i just detach the shaft from the pole saw head. Bolt the head to my extension peace and im good to go. Or I might be able to just swap shaft, putting the extension shaft into the pole saw tube. HAA CHA CHAAAAA!!!!!

I will let you guys know how i make out later. If this works, I won't have to trade in my FS90R. I will try to post some pic's too.

Okay so I purchased the Kombi pole saw attachment. I got home, unbolted the shaft/tube from the chainsaw gear head. I then took the 37" extension, that I already purchased, and unbolted the clam from the end of the shaft/tube. I took that clamp and bolted it to the end of my FS90R. Then I grabbed the 37" extension and mounted it to the chainsaw gear head making sure I was puttin the male end of the extension shaft into the female inside the chainsaw gear head. Next, I clamped the pole saw attachment to the end of my FS90R and it worked!!!! The only thing I didn't like was the male end of that shaft, that mounts into the chainsaw gear head, starts out as a flat shaft for 3/8 of an inch and then goes to a square shaft.

I have a stock 2011 FS-90R and have been wondering about the same thing. I was going to try and replace my main drive shaft with a Kombi one but wasn't sure if that would fit either. If I understand correctly, you are able to use the Kombi pole-chainsaw head with just a Kombi drive shaft extension and the clamp that comes with it? Picture would be helpful if you have one.

For the record, if you go out and buy and Kombi attachment off of the rack, you can take that head off of the Kombi-shaft and clamp it onto the
end of your trimmer.

As far as grafting a Kombi middle knuckle on the end of your trimmer for the extra length, I don't know, but may try it in the next day or two, as I am filling in for a couple of days at a Stihl shop........

I know for the 110 and 130's they make the same attachments as the Komi system, but they are a different mount setup, I believe. The Kombi attaches mid shaft, while the straight shaft fs 130 attaches just below the head. It was the reason I bought the 130. Saved a couple hundred on the head unit and the attachments are the same price. And the power head was bigger as well.

It should work. The only thing is if you use many extensions you need to be careful not to damage the shaft ends where they connect by putting too much stress on it. just let it feed through the cut. I think this is a pn for the adapter piece you are talking about 4140-160-0700. I will say the polesaw attachment comes with a small shaft as stated by someone earlier. The stock fs90r plus this adapter/coupler plus the sawhead w shaft should get you pretty up there in reach.

Last edited:
Dont u guys know how to read???? Lololol. Look at my previous posts in this thread. You are gonna have to buy the 37" extension as you will need the clamp setup off of that and the shaft itself.... The shaft off the normal kombi pole saw setup is too short to work and is the wrong end as both ends of it are male. You need a female to male shaft.

Oh, ok then. Didnt know the "extension" pole you were buying had the coupling sleeve included. I thought you were just using the fs90r and the sawhead with shaft. If you were I think that part would work. Not sure how well making it longer will work. The telescoping shaft models would seem to have a lot less flex. Good luck though, let us know how it works 4 ya.

Yea you do have to be careful as it is a little flexible, but the main thing is the whole thing works for a small job. I use my setup atleast one a year on something.

So do we have confirmation that combining:

Stihl HT-KM Shaft Extension
Stihl HT-KM Pole Pruner

We can create a pole saw + extension that will fit on, and work on the end of an FS series Trimmer ( FS90r, FS100r or FS130r) ?

Is it:
(a) possible to just clamp the HT-KM saw head on the male end of the HT-KM Shaft extension - and then hook the female end with coupler onto the FS shaft?

or
(b) required to switch the shaft and coupler from the Extension to the stock HT-KM Pole Pruner shaft?

( we do know that the HT head can be placed on the end of an FS shaft, so this is specifically seeking confirmation that the combination of Kombi extension with HT head can be used for a longer FS based pole saw. )

thank you all

Option B is the only way it will work.... 2 reasons why

1- FS trimmers have a male end drive shaft

2- kombi trimmers have female end drive shaft

If you buy the kombi chainsaw attachment, the shaft where they connect is a double male end shaft. The chainsaw head has a female end meaning weather u buy the head seperate or with the kombi shaft attached it gonna have the female end on the head. That why just the chainsaw head will work for the FS 90/110/130. The shaft that comes with kombi head is a double male shaft.

I started my thread because just attaching the pole saw head to my FS90 was too short for my needs. I wanted a few extra feet.

Option B is the only way it will work.... 2 reasons why

1- FS trimmers have a male end drive shaft

2- kombi trimmers have female end drive shaft

If you buy the kombi chainsaw attachment, the shaft where they connect is a double male end shaft. The chainsaw head has a female end meaning weather u buy the head seperate or with the kombi shaft attached it gonna have the female end on the head. That why just the chainsaw head will work for the FS 90/110/130. The shaft that comes with kombi head is a double male shaft.

I started my thread because just attaching the pole saw head to my FS90 was too short for my needs. I wanted a few extra feet.

Just for giggles, could one splice a full fs90 shaft onto the end of a combi unit and slap a saw head on the other end, that is what I was thinking, myself.... sniff......

I have used this same basic "recipe" to create a "weedsaw", ha, out of a FS130R trimmer. Here is what I used:
  • FS130R trimmer
  • (minus) trimmer head
  • HT KM 37" Extension (Stihl P/N: 4140 710 7143)
  • (minus) gray plastic bushing from end of HT KM 37" extension
  • HT Pole Pruner Attachment (Stihl P/N: 4182 200 0069)
The 4th item above references that I removed a gray plastic bushing from the end of the extension shaft. After releasing a little latch/clip, it popped right out.

After removing the bushing, I removed the trimmer head from the trimmer, I installed the extension on the trimmer shaft, and then the saw attachment on the end of the extension. Very easy "bolt on" kit.

Very handy saw, with plenty of power. Recommended!

FS130R weedsaw.JPG

Latest posts

Back