Stihl MS-251 chain options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Watson

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a Stihl MS-251 for work in my 2.75 acre wooded yard. I'm very comfortable with chainsaws, I've felled many trees, and heated my house with wood for many years back in the day, etc. I have some pine barrens pines (40?) that were killed by the borer bugs and have to fell and cleanup. The 251 looks to me to be a good fit since it's without some of the "comfort items" that I've seen causing issues, big enough to do the job, yet not so big to be unmanageable. Hopefully that's a good assessment. I've been working with 2 old Poulons that have been a pain to keep working and I'm tired of worrying if I'll get through the felling before the saw decides it needs a break.
In any case - the 251 comes with a .050 gauge chain on the 18" bar, yet there is an option for a .063 as well. NOT from the dealer? I guess I would have to order it in addition and swap it out... Does it matter? I seem to see more options for .063 chains . The full description for the stock chain is Rapid Micro .325" pitch, 0.050 gauge, 68 drive Links (23 RM3 68). Is it worth opting for the non-standard chain? Pros/Cons?

Does it matter? I seem to see more options for .063 chains . The full description for the stock chain is Rapid Micro .325" pitch, 0.050 gauge, 68 drive Links (23 RM3 68). Is it worth opting for the non-standard chain? Pros/Cons?

No, it doesn't matter.

Unless, you have a favorite chain vendor who doesn't stock one or the other.

If you buy chain on the internet, and are willing to deal with any reputable vendor, I think you will find either the .050 and .063 easy to source.

You didn't ask about the wisdom of the 251. But............IMO........you should consider a good-running 50cc pro saw rather than the MS251 (that wuld be, 026, MS260, MS261). Weight/power ratio, ease of repair.

Roy

Thank you, I guess one just has a narrower kerf and I need to make sure the bar and chain match.
AND Thanks - yes.. I looked at the pro series but they are about twice the cost and I can't make that work in my budget. I'm hoping the 251 will work for my needs.

I have a couple of MS251's nice saws. I also have some pro saws but I agree about the price. Avoid the easy to start because it adds too much weight needlessly. Much better fitting the Stihl Elasto start cord and handle.

Oregon 18-Inch Replacement Chainsaw Bar & 95TXL068G Chain, .325" Pitch, .050" Gauge, 68 Drive Links, Fits Various Stihl Models (578767)​

Oregon offers this for the MS251. Speedcut chains are available at decent prices especially on Amazon

I have a couple of MS251's nice saws. I also have some pro saws but I agree about the price. Avoid the easy to start because it adds too much weight needlessly. Much better fitting the Stihl Elasto start cord and handle.
Thanks for the advice, that's what I was thinking. Also seemed like a more complex mechanism to fix, etc.

I thought of that but I'm really leery of how people treat their saws. Without breaking them down I'm concerned about scored cylinders, etc. I've been coddling two old saws for a bit and I'm really looking forward to something new - but thanks for your advice!

I guess one just has a narrower kerf and

No. The kerf is the same on the two chains you mentioned. It is only the thickness of the drivers, not cutters, which vary.

I need to make sure the bar and chain match.

Yes.

AND Thanks - yes.. I looked at the pro series but they are about twice the cost and I can't make that work in my budget. I'm hoping the 251 will work for my needs.

I am sure you are right about the 251 being OK for your use.

I am not suggesting a $700 new MS261...but, a good used running 026, 260, or 261.

Roy

Here is a ms251c easy to start starter, It weights almost twice as much as the regular start
20240927_134608.jpg20240927_134617.jpg
I converted the saw to a regular start with an Elasto start pull cord in the bottom pic

Latest posts

Back