Stihl MS 261 ( What is the best stihl chain)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tach's are good for getting a set point but all saws will be different

I have two different tachs one on the saw and a hand held tach

tach.png

and

This pic is the easiest the tach on the handle of the 250 - there on all my saws :cool2:

005a.jpg

What tachs are you running mounted?

thanks for all your input. Also for clearing up break in/full throttle. The pitch on the green bar is .325. Is the saw powerful enough for s skip chain?

Skip chain is to be used when the saw isn't strong enough for the bar/chain length (or if chip transport out of the cut becomes a problem).

It demands less power than full comp, not more - but normally is less effective in the cut. ;)

When I run the Stihl RSLHK 18" 3/8" b/c the rpm are higher (you can see it on the tach on the handle) then running a full comp chain; meaning faster chain speed and it clears out the chips better :msp_thumbup:

There is a utube vid of a guy down under with a 24" 3/8" set-up on his 261; I dd that with mine and the semi-skip worked but I wouldn't run that full time that's what my bigger saw's are for :msp_smile:

I even have a semi-skip tooth chain for my MS 250; I found in clean wood up to 16" it just a screamer in Alder and Fir :msp_smile:

It's fun trying different set-ups on chain saw's; if you don't try things different life is really dull and trying different things means your out of the house enjoying the great out doors :msp_scared:

Last edited:
Stihlman441 great video. I like the tach on the handle. I want to do a muff mod,but the saw is one week old. Don't want to void the warranty. Gonna pick up a RM chain to try. Thanks to everyone for your input.

There is a utube vid of a guy down under with a 24" 3/8" set-up on his 261;

that would be me but it is ported, it's not ideal but it will do in a pinch

[video=youtube;YdnibuxkgHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdnibuxkgHE&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:
Back