STIHL MS 400.1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On paper comparison

MS 400.1
62.6cc
5.5kg
3.9kw

550xp
50cc
5.3kg
3.0kw

The new Stihl looks pretty appealing.
Why would you be comparing to the 50cc saw? Maybe the weight? Husky MKII 50cc is a heavy for 50cc weight now days.

Shouldnt you be comparing 400.1 to the 562xp MKII? Closer cc etc.

Do love the weight of the new stihl saws since getting older. They been listening. ;)

Why would you be comparing to the 50cc saw? Maybe the weight? Husky MKII 50cc is a heavy for 50cc weight now days.

Shouldnt you be comparing 400.1 to the 562xp MKII? Closer cc etc.

Do love the weight of the new stihl saws since getting older. They been listening. ;)
Yes agreed a like for like comparison would be the 562. Just making the point the new 400.1 is nearly 50cc light.

On paper comparison

MS 400.1
62.6cc
5.5kg
3.9kw

550xp
50cc
5.3kg
3.0kw

The new Stihl looks pretty appealing.
Yes, it does. And especially so given the 550xp is close in size to the 400C as is. It's a shame they replaced the superb 346XP with that bloated pig.

The other thing is that the website with the specs could be wrong. I have seen this before with newly released saws. @SawTroll use to be all over this.
I'm crossing my fingers that the displacement hasn't changed and that the mag piston and cylinder design likewise hasn't changed too much. Or at least that the old cylinder is a direct bolt on, although see the muffler design I don't think so.

Been reading overseas. Even a stihl MS363 that seems to be like the MS400.1 but tunable carb. = The MS 400.1 comes as M-Tronic and the MS 363 identical as a carburettor model without M-Tronic, whereby I assume that the MS 363 will not be sold regularly in Germany.
Both with and without handle heating.
The 400.1 has reliable sources, 62ccm, no more 67ccm, since no magnesium piston is installed anymore but classic aluminum.

So sort of confirming last. But will only know once out.

Shame they are ditching the magnesium piston, I was hoping the 661 as one of the older saws in the line would be replaced by a big bore 500i type chassis with magnesium piston and fuel injection. Would have thought it would be a bit of monster. I have a current/old model 400 and it is definitely one of my favourites. Looking at the specs of the new 400.1 it doesn't look a bad saw at all, and taking a dip in weight and power may entice some 50cc customers to the larger saw, and more money stihls way! Now to decide if I buy a spare 'old' 400 now 😅

Shame they are ditching the magnesium piston, I was hoping the 661 as one of the older saws in the line would be replaced by a big bore 500i type chassis with magnesium piston and fuel injection. Would have thought it would be a bit of monster. I have a current/old model 400 and it is definitely one of my favourites. Looking at the specs of the new 400.1 it doesn't look a bad saw at all, and taking a dip in weight and power may entice some 50cc customers to the larger saw, and more money stihls way! Now to decide if I buy a spare 'old' 400 now 😅
The chassis design of the 500i is antiquated. Eventually all Stihl saws will be set up like the 462, 400, etc.
It seems Stihl basically cried uncle and is using most of Husky's design elements.

Stuff read in past overseas following the demo saws. So if the TS910i 102cc works out.
WAG like 500i was. Maybe a 661 replacement? Also read of the 881 replacement in i too.
Believe it when we see it in saws.
  • Cutting disc: 400/16 inch
  • Cylinder capacity: 102 cm3
  • Power: 6.2 kW
  • Weight: 12.8 kg
  • Sound power level: 114 dB(A)
  • Vibration value left/right: 7.0/3.9 m/s2
  • Max. Cutting depth: 145 mm

There is going to be a TS910i and TS710i from reading.

Just seems odd to negate the benefits of the lighter piston and go to the smaller bore, which would just benefit the rotating assembly more. Really just seems like a bad move on stihls part. The 400 was widely accepted and has a good track record for being a new saw design.
Could be emmissions related. I am too lazy to research it right now, but emmissions levels have CC cut offs.
I'm really guessing here.

Could be emmissions related. I am too lazy to research it right now, but emmissions levels have CC cut offs.
I'm really guessing here.
What ever the reason, and for those who have to justify saw purchases to their spouses, the disappearance of version 1 is a great selling point to stockpile a few more while they’re still available.

Back