STIHL MS 400.1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The listed displacement of 62.6cc begs an interesting question in my mind: Has Stihl used the same crank in this new 400cm as they used in the 500i? because the throw on the 500i is 34.6mm and the most straight forward way to get to 62.6cc is that throw with a 48mm piston. This would be a meaningful (and unexpected) change from the OE 400cm with a 34mm throw and 50mm piston... any way to confirm this?

The listed displacement of 62.6cc begs an interesting question in my mind: Has Stihl used the same crank in this new 400cm as they used in the 500i? because the throw on the 500i is 34.6mm and the most straight forward way to get to 62.6cc is that throw with a 48mm piston. This would be a meaningful (and unexpected) change from the OE 400cm with a 34mm throw and 50mm piston... any way to confirm this?
I highly doubt they would use the 500I crank given the weights savings over the standard 400C.

Will the new 400.1 be listed as a pro saw ? The old 400 c-m was listed as larger woodcutting , In the USA.

Attachments

• STIHL 2023-chainsaw-comparison.pdf
    542.7 KB
According to rumors on the German-language Internet, they have abandoned the magnesium piston.
Damn cheapies…. That mag piston was one of the things that made the 400 so attractive. Not just because of less overall weight but less rotating mass… makes an enormous difference in how fast and smooth the saw winds up… (shrug) I suppose if I ever get one of these I can swap it out with a magnesium piston (if they’re the same bore) but ugh what a bummer (shrug)

Just seems odd to negate the benefits of the lighter piston and go to the smaller bore, which would just benefit the rotating assembly more. Really just seems like a bad move on stihls part. The 400 was widely accepted and has a good track record for being a new saw design.
+1 (that’s what I meant to say 🤣)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241001_063558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20241001_063558_Samsung Internet.jpg
    262.6 KB
There's little to no way. Most saws run 1-3k rpm less under load than WOT without a load.

But if it's running above 12.6/12.8k under load, that'd be damned impressive.
Governed rpm is not the same as top unloaded rpm. Governed means it will not go beyond x rpm, not that it won't sustain that rpm when loaded.

Governed rpm is not the same as top unloaded rpm. Governed means it will not go beyond x rpm, not that it won't sustain that rpm when loaded.
Gotcha, but the specs say 13.8 max. Even if that's governed, it's not going to reach 13.8 under load. So I'm just curious as to what it's max under load is. The better question may be, "what rpm is the governor set at?"

What I'm sussing out is how much better is the 400 vs. 562. It already has the weight advantage and the size advantage. If it was also faster, even a few hundred rpm, than the 562, that would be even more amazing.

Gotcha, but the specs say 13.8 max. Even if that's governed, it's not going to reach 13.8 under load. So I'm just curious as to what it's max under load is. The better question may be, "what rpm is the governor set at?"

What I'm sussing out is how much better is the 400 vs. 562. It already has the weight advantage and the size advantage. If it was also faster, even a few hundred rpm, than the 562, that would be even more amazing.
I owned a 562xp(s), own a 400. The 562xp is a great saw, I loved it till covid bs no parts and ended up getting a 400. The 400 out cuts the 562xp. Doesn't weigh much of anything more and handles very well, av is great (husqy spring style.) Air filtration is pretty good too.(another husqy approach) Pretty much my go to saw anymore. Never bothered to measure max rpm, it's close enough between the two that you wouldn't notice when cutting. If you're after bang for buck, then the 562xp is the clear winner. It doesn't give up much for its price vs the 400. If you want the best 60ish cc class saw then the 400 is a no brainer at this point.

Max RPM in the cut is what your talking about and that is dependant on the wood, chain setup and operator input.
The only way to judge saw performance is to run them in wood. Looking at specs just doesn't cut it.

Mronic is actually “governed” (with fuel), as opposed to being limited by spark. And you’re right, 13.8k is max rpm where the mtronic floods to prevent over revving. Maximum power rpm on a 400 is around 9.5 K

Mronic is actually “governed” (with fuel), as opposed to being limited by spark. And you’re right, 13.8k is max rpm where the mtronic floods to prevent over revving. Maximum power rpm on a 400 is around 9.5 K
That's interesting info, @huskihl. Never knew that to be the case.
Does Autune function in a similar manner?

Back