STIHL MS 400.1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any place that is actually selling these right now? Or are these all just factory demonstration units. I have not seen any for sale at all, even outside of the USA..
I don’t believe they are for sale anywhere yet. Normally, they would get released in Europe first and then Canada for a few months before they were available in the states

The repair manual is available on Stihl’s ssc for the ms363. But nothing else shown unless I have a vin # then it might show more. From what I saw, no mtronic version shown for the 2 carbs it lists?

Found breakdown
Here is a pic of piston. Looks to be traditional piston, so I don’t think we will see it in Canada as may not pass emissions. But I assume it’s for brazils heavy ethanol blends of fuel

Attachments

• IMG_3152.jpeg
    IMG_3152.jpeg
    334.4 KB
Found breakdown
Here is a pic of piston. Looks to be traditional piston, so I don’t think we will see it in Canada as may not pass emissions. But I assume it’s for brazils heavy ethanol blends of fuel
That’s possible, but it would require a complete redesign of the carburetor, intake, cylinder, case…. But looking at that parts breakdown, the intake is more like a 500 and doesn’t appear to be strato It would be interesting to see for certain

This new 400.1 looks to me like nothing more than consolidating production by eliminating a model to save $. All companies are forced to due to rampant inflation. It’s way worse than what the Fed tells/lies to us... Stihl did the same by axing the MS241, and let the 250 & 261 fill that void. Yes, both are very different saws, but both are versatile enough with a broad appeal and perennial best sellers. The 362 is proven, and the 60cc class a big market. Why not update it to top of spec for its class, and re-brand it? Not that I like this, but it’s the way it is. I suspect more of this will happen too.

Plus, the 400 is definitely more of a one-off with the magnesium piston. I never understood that, given all the R&D put into aluminum pistons. Saws are industrial machines that have a hard life. They’re not race engines with rigid maintenance. BMW used magnesium blocks then went back to aluminum when they started adding turbos to their i6 to handle the added cylinder pressure.

Jason

Latest posts

Back