Stihl Ms 660 vs. Husky 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had to choose what one...the MS 660 or the 395xp...price doesnt make a difference..just pure preference here. All i ask is why...you choose the Stihl or the Husky over the other???

Thanks everyone

Canyon

Never tried a 395xp, but have used the 385xp - excellent saw.

When my Ms660 dies i will be probably be replacing it with a 395xp. Main reason is the plastic break, which always stops working after the saw has been running for a few mins. The heat from the exhaust makes the break malleable and renders the break useless. This is bad news when you are trying to push the break on mid cut to check your distances or whatever.

This is bad news when you are trying to push the break on mid cut to check your distances or whatever.

Blokes like you cant use the mighty 90 then coz they aint got brakes!

Last edited:
660 on the way... Yeh!!!

:clap: I just happened to order a ms660 today from my local dealer.. I paid $1100 otd with a 32"es bar and a rsc chain. I am a diehard Stihl man as well, I can't wait to run some tanks through it and finally see for myself what all the hype is about.. This thing is going to be awsome!!! 7hp and 16lbs how can anyone who cuts big wood pass this saw up... This saw is made to run one the edge, don't buy it unless you plan to keep it buried in big wood.. I will leave the smaller trees for my 440 with a 20..

Anyone who actually wants to use the 90 needs their head examined.

Its like wanting to use a V8 chainsaw, it sounds exciting but in actual fact it is really rather tedious.

:chainsawguy: For tree climbing, a lighter saw with a longer bar is easier on your body when removing trees, but mate when blocking down large hardwood eucs all day, sometimes a 395 or 660 doesn't have the grunt with a 3 foot bar and a 3120xp or MS 880 is the only way to go.

Hey Buffalo Bill,

I think he's Irish or something! :dizzy: LOL

He's prolly got a 32" bar on his 026 cutting balsa wood all day for his scout group leader. LOL :clap:

sometimes a 395 or 660 doesn't have the grunt with a 3 foot bar and a 3120xp or MS 880 is the only way to go.

I was just making the point that anyone who actually enjoys using these big saws needs their head examined.

I heard Ekka put a 12 inch bar on his 088! He's obsessed with short bars and his ability to fell 60 inch diameter trees with his Ms200 and his customised 4 inch bar he made for it!!

Ekka's a short bar warrior.:rock:

Most everyone who puts down the 395 has probably never owned or ran one.Most of the people that do run them fall in love with them....The majority of the saws I own are Stihl's and I have three 660's that are running,but I like the 395 better in most every way except that it's just a tad heavier.

If ya ever want to sell one of those 660's just let me know.

I reckon the 660's like a Lamborghini and the 395 is more like a Volvo. :buttkick: Arghhh, what would Husky know about style, built more like a fridge that thing!

If ya ever want to sell one of those 660's just let me know.

I reckon the 660's like a Lamborghini and the 395 is more like a Volvo. :buttkick: Arghhh, what would Husky know about style, built more like a fridge that thing!

Ergonomics aside: How do you compare the two for performance?

ok heres my $.02

I used to own a 394xp. Ran well. Tried my mates 066, then sold the 394 and went stihl. years later, time to upgrade and went 660. fantastic machine. Tried my mates 395, sold the stihl and went back to husky.

The 660 had a tonne of power, but only at the top. as i use the saw for cutting large trunks and milling, i need optimum power at all rpm range. the 660 is capable of the big stuff, just not as good as the 395. If you are wanting to run 28" or smaller, then 660 will keep up or outperform if you keep the revs up.

There, i said it. classic debate i know but unless people have used both.......:givebeer:

ok heres my $.02

I used to own a 394xp. Ran well. Tried my mates 066, then sold the 394 and went stihl. years later, time to upgrade and went 660. fantastic machine. Tried my mates 395, sold the stihl and went back to husky.

The 660 had a tonne of power, but only at the top. as i use the saw for cutting large trunks and milling, i need optimum power at all rpm range. the 660 is capable of the big stuff, just not as good as the 395. If you are wanting to run 28" or smaller, then 660 will keep up or outperform if you keep the revs up.

There, i said it. classic debate i know but unless people have used both.......:givebeer:

What is the 066 best at?

Well answered!

The power band tells the whole story. Simple as that.

One is better pulling heavier loads. One is faster [sprocket for sprocket].

Latest posts

Back