Stihl ms210 crank seal or intake leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it ended up being the plastic intake piece. Put a new one on and bam there it is. I can't believe it wasn't crank seals with it only running on its sides.

Plastic intake piece? Can you post the part number or show it on a parts diagram? I am really curious about this one, and I'm sure others are too.

The surface that sits up to the carb is not flat anymore from being over torqued in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_20140627_221257949.jpg
    IMG_20140627_221257949.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 27
OK, that appears to be the filter housing. You might be able to flatten it with sheet of 120 grit sandpaper taped to a hard surface such as the top of a table saw. It does seem a bit odd that this piece caused the problem. Air comes through the filter and directly to the carb. Air coming in from the side would seem superfluous.

You could totally remove that piece and tighten the carb nuts down and the saw would run. Something you did replacing that piece cured your problem, but it wasn't that piece.

In most cases it's the seal on the clutch side when the saw runs only on it's side. You can do a vac test to prove this but replacing the seals is not that much work. Make sure you clean/remove the old gasket well.

<edit> overlooked the second page...

If it was the filter holder is the problem could only occur when the bolts were not tightend enough..

Guys, the saw supposedly passed the vac test. What happens when this piece is allowed to get air around it, is unmetered air. It is an intake air leak. The needle, jet and screws are set for a certain a/f ratio, and to recieve it through a direct air tight channel. When air is allowed to creep in the side of an area that is supposed to be sealed tightly, it is enough extra undirected(unmetered) air cause it to run lean. I'm sure it could have stayed running with huge screw adjustments, but that's not going to fix anything. I don't know what to say about the running on its sides... But it seems to be fine now.

Guys, the saw supposedly passed the vac test. What happens when this piece is allowed to get air around it, is unmetered air. It is an intake air leak. The needle, jet and screws are set for a certain a/f ratio, and to recieve it through a direct air tight channel. When air is allowed to creep in the side of an area that is supposed to be sealed tightly, it is enough extra undirected(unmetered) air cause it to run lean. I'm sure it could have stayed running with huge screw adjustments, but that's not going to fix anything. I don't know what to say about the running on its sides... But it seems to be fine now.
Well, that's good to know, especially since I have a temperamental 210C that acts a bit strangely in the same fashion. I'll check the same part. My only complaint is that the idle tends to be a bit unsteady. Other than that, it's a great little limbing and small bucking saw that cuts like a bandit.

Latest posts

Back