stihl ms660 ms880 crankbearing orientation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newworld

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
bigger saws ms460/660/880 crank bearing orientation

pto side: plastic side facing crank
flywheel side: either way, but generally open side no plastic facing crank

i have read some put open side facing crank on both sides...but i believe plastic facing crank on pto is due to preventing breakup falling into crankcase?

i just saw also a video of a clone case that was delivered to customer and it had plastic facing crank on pto side and open facing crank on flywheel side

wondering why pto side closed plastic faces crank...if the bearings need lubrication...perhaps the combustion and or debris can cause early failure of bearing? then if that is true the flywheel side plastic should have face the crank...

wondering why pto side closed plastic faces crank...if the bearings need lubrication...perhaps the combustion and or debris can cause early failure of bearing? then if that is true the flywheel side plastic should have face the crank.
The large flat plastic piece is a byproduct of a plastic bearing retainer. It’s needed to hold the plastic together. Enough oil gets to the bearing either way so in or out isn’t an issue. The only rule is on the PTO side, the offset goes out and it sits against the oil pump

I tend to remove all plastic shields and clean the grease out- relube with oil-sounds like you have the wrong pto bearing- supposed to have a lip to put the seal in and I dont think it would have plastic on it

You’re talking about the rubber seal that comes on some electric motor bearings. He’s talking about OEM Stihl plastic bearing retainers. One side has a ring of heavy plastic which to some seems like it’s blocking the bearing of any oil

You’re talking about the rubber seal that comes on some electric motor bearings. He’s talking about OEM Stihl plastic bearing retainers. One side has a ring of heavy plastic which to some seems like it’s blocking the bearing of any oil

Remember the first ones they did for a while with metal shields in 1122 saws- they got oil and seemed to do what they were meant to do- they are not sealed bearings.

Back