Straight Gas..how long before failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe this will help to answer the age old question:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thank you 08 for posting this again. I knew that I had seen it before somewhere. It actually ran hard for longer than I expected. Maybe from residue oil in crankcase? Even then it didn't sieze up like I expected, as you can still pull it over. Did you ever tear this down to look at the innards?

Thank you 08 for posting this again. I knew that I had seen it before somewhere. It actually ran hard for longer than I expected. Maybe from residue oil in crankcase? Even then it didn't sieze up like I expected, as you can still pull it over. Did you ever tear this down to look at the innards?
it wasnt scored to bad,, i probably could have filled it up with mix and run it,, i have seen a lot worst scoring,,, i never thought about taking a vid of the piston

Then they give the engines to me and ask whether or not I can save them. What should I tell them?
i gave nothing for that weed eater,,, cost to fix 25.00,,, resale value around here 10 bucks if i was lucky,, normally 5 bucks,, so what the hell,, might as well sacrifice it

i gave nothing for that weed eater,,, cost to fix 25.00,,, resale value around here 10 bucks if i was lucky,, normally 5 bucks,, so what the hell,, might as well sacrifice it
Well, I guess you answered my question. I should tell them to take the saw to the landfill. Right? That's our society today. Fix nothing and throw it away.

When I was a kid working a summer job for an ******* boss I got bored one day a ran a weedeater on everything from turpentine to kerosene back to paint thinner...only thing I didn't try was latex paint.

The thing never missed a beat...

In Stihl test saws they will run for awhile on straight gas, but if you lean the carb screw they burn up almost instantly

Do people enjoy destroying 2-cycle engines these days? I have to wonder.
Not meaning to be contentious, but that is his saw. If he wants to burn it up, more power to him. I actually thought it was a pretty neat "experiment".

a couple years ago I 'took out' a poulan weedeater featherlite. It had a 2002 emissions tag and I remember it was a $50-60 special buy. Had only 18cc or something like that but always ran, always got rpm and always cut. Until it just started to wear out to the point it had no rpm over idle with a clean carb. It had dwindling compression and well well beyond its 50hr EPA lifespan rating.. I cut the mix in the tank with almost half lacquer thinner to see what it would do. It did not lock it up but quit running. I think rings got scrubbed.. It became scrap aluminum after that..

You are 100% correct, and I don't hold any ill feelings towards him for what he does to his property. But I also cringe a little when a door is slammed, when people lean back in wood chairs, when a socket wrench is used as a bashing implement, etc.

You are 100% correct, and I don't hold any ill feelings towards him for what he does to his property. But I also cringe a little when a door is slammed, when people lean back in wood chairs, when a socket wrench is used as a bashing implement, etc.
Well articulated, and point taken.

That craftsman looks a lot like mac 335 I just take from father in law for repair... Bad oil pump, needs to be replaced, 15€. I guess it is worth it.

I suspect a few of you would have been in tears when we cleaned out the shop yard this past fall. I'm not sure how many mowers I tossed in the scrap pile, a few hundred I'd have to guess. Ended up with 98,000lbs of scrap pulled out. The bigger items were an HD11 dozer, old school gang saw (like had 15-20 saws that went up and down to cut boards, and a planer, all cast iron, flat belt driven, probably 5 tons on its' own.

Back