Straight Gas..how long before failure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect a few of you would have been in tears when we cleaned out the shop yard this past fall. I'm not sure how many mowers I tossed in the scrap pile, a few hundred I'd have to guess. Ended up with 98,000lbs of scrap pulled out. The bigger items were an HD11 dozer, old school gang saw (like had 15-20 saws that went up and down to cut boards, and a planer, all cast iron, flat belt driven, probably 5 tons on its' own.
you need to be taken out and beat with a wet noodle for doing that:laughing::laughing::laughing:

maybe this will help to answer the age old question:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now I know exactly how to make a boat anchor for my favorite canoe. It's so easy. Nothing to it.

Thank you 08 for posting this again. I knew that I had seen it before somewhere. It actually ran hard for longer than I expected. Maybe from residue oil in crankcase? Even then it didn't sieze up like I expected, as you can still pull it over. Did you ever tear this down to look at the innards?
I think it's a great testimony for how tough those saws are. Note that in addition to no oil, it had no cooling as the top cover was removed. It's also an unplated bore. Yup, they're junk.

So how will your typical pro saw hold up to the same treatment?

There will be a big difference in life (of the saw) running on straight gas between piss reving and working it hard. Piss reving will last a lot longer than using it for it's intended usage. Lots more heat involved

Any idea how anyone could watch for 10 minutes a very nice chainsaw like a Stihl 064 melt down on straight gas? Was that you?

First of all, a saw isn't a holy object, it's a tool. And that's all it is. We run the snot out of them, maintain them the best we can, use them up, and replace them when it's time.With that thought in mind I'll answer your question.
It was my saw but I wasn't running it. And it wasn't a "very nice saw", it was a scarred up ex falling saw that I put on the landing for the knot bumper to use. He didn't like the saw and wanted something better. The saw was perfectly fine for the job it was doing and should have lasted all season. It just wasn't new and it sure as hell wasn't pretty.
I started the day with two five gallon cans, one of mix that I'd mixed myself and one of straight gas for a spare. Both cans were clearly labled as to which was which. We'd decant the mixed gas into one gallon jugs, also clearly marked.
I was on the loader when the saw went down. The landing man tossed it in the back of the crummy and said "Well, I guess I'll get a new saw now, I finally blew that POS up.".
I pulled the muffler and the piston was scored like somebody had gouged it with a handfull of nails.
I checked the gas cans. The mix can was still full. The raw gas can was missing a gallon. The gallon jug was straight gas. The gas in the saw was straight gas.
If the landing man got a new saw he got it someplace else. I sent him to town on the next truck out.
Clear?

Haha.
One of these days I need to go through all the parts saws and do similar. I'm pretty sure there's a few dumptruck loads of basically "junk".

you need to be taken out and beat with a wet noodle for doing that:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Back