Talk me (homeowner) into or out of new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javadog

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner with some uncleared rural property in North Carolina. I have 3 trees in my backyard on the ground thanks to Hurricane Helene. The biggest is an oak with a diameter at the base of about 24 inches.
I have a 20 year old Stihl MS360 which does OK with smaller limbs but due to the age has some reliability and performance issues. I have researched the current Stihl saws and am tempted to buy a MS400 which I saw in a shop today with a price of about $1079 . There is a chance of getting a small reimbursement from FEMA, about $219 , because my home is in a disaster area. Yes, I know the 400 is probably more than I need, and could fall back to the MS261C , or just keep plugging away with the old saw after I work on it some more, put on a new bar and chain, and so on. Thoughts ?

I'm a homeowner with some uncleared rural property in North Carolina. I have 3 trees in my backyard on the ground thanks to Hurricane Helene. The biggest is an oak with a diameter at the base of about 24 inches.
I have a 20 year old Stihl MS360 which does OK with smaller limbs but due to the age has some reliability and performance issues. I have researched the current Stihl saws and am tempted to buy a MS400 which I saw in a shop today with a price of about $1079 . There is a chance of getting a small reimbursement from FEMA, about $219 , because my home is in a disaster area. Yes, I know the 400 is probably more than I need, and could fall back to the MS261C , or just keep plugging away with the old saw after I work on it some more, put on a new bar and chain, and so on. Thoughts ?

In my opinion, I’d steer clear of the MS400—not because it’s a bad saw. In fact, everyone I know who has one really loves it. However, it’s being superseded by the MS400.1, which, in my opinion, seems underpowered. Over time, finding parts for the MS400 may become more difficult, especially compared to models like your MS261.

That said, your MS360 is a fantastic saw. Don’t overlook it just because of its age. It has an adjustable carburetor, a non-limited coil, is easy to repair, and parts are readily available. This platform ran for decades and has been tried and tested.

Save your money… Don’t get pulled in by the marketing of a new saw unless you truly need more power. If you do, consider one of the models from the ’90s or early 2000s in good condition. 046/460 066/660

If you are getting a few bucks from FEMA and considering the size of the trees that money will pay half of an Echo Timberwolf or Husky 450/455 Rancher. I'd probably go that route over a $1,000 saw for what you are describing.

↑↑
What he said. That 360 is enough saw for almost any tree job, providing you aren't doing it for a profit and paying someone wages. If it isn't running right, you should get any reliability problems solved whether or not you get another saw. There's a good reason why you might need two or more saws on a job.
1729866249097.png 1729866308518.png

I ran my business on a Pro-Mac 10-10s for a number of years before I wised up to bigger, faster saws. Then I bought a Husqy 3120. Holy cow! That made a big difference. (still the king of my fleet of saws, too.)
With a bit of patience, an 18" saw has no problems with a 30" tree. For $1000.00, you can spend quite a bit of time at $25/hr before you ever pay for that faster saw.

If you want to go fast with little effort, spend more time keeping your chains keenly sharp and your bar in excellent condition.

Back