Tell us about your weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only had one I was worried about, neighbor "hired" a "Tree Service" to take it down... still has a 30' spar or so that the "Tree Service" didn't have a big enough saw to deal with... even though, two of his neighbors could have dealt with it for free...

there is another snag farther back But I'm pretty sure it wont hit my house so I'll call it good enough, and remember to not plow their driveway if it snows.

I had to run The Used Dog in to get his ears looked at and fixed. There were quite a few new dents in the guardrails along the highway. The PUD was busy getting 3 big trees off powerlines down by Ethel. Various yard trees were toppled over. There wasn't a terrible amount of damage. It was sunny in Chehalis but raining when I got home.

What's wrong with leaving the house at 4a Thurs morning and not getting home until 4:30p Sat afternoon?

The wind was a great show, lots of big stuff toppled and the resulting damage. The biggest gust I saw, was on a home weather station was 76.8 mph up on some hill we had to go do some work. Not close to the coast at all. Maybe this will open the eyes of governments, trees need to be removed and replaced now and then. Ivy actually will weaken and or kill a tree, obviously diseased trees need to be taken down. Some how I don't think that message will get across though. Even trimming at a least will fall on deaf ears. We pulled off a job when we were not allowed to trim and remove a tree that had busted a pole. They were awful proud of the accomplishment, until they realized that we were leaving and the power wasn't on yet. that was Thurs evening and we got back this morning. Not so much attitude today though.

I may be in the minority, but, I really do enjoy wind storms.

Now I get to clean up my place. The radio told me that the next few days are to be fairly decent and dry. We'll see.

Owl

i have a fascination with high winds. when this last one blew threw my family thought i was nuts " which i am" for sitting out on the deck to listen to the howling. in years past i used to throw a saw or two in the truck and head up to a high peak and sit in the truck and watch and feel the power of our mother.

Winds were high here again this week, but from the south this time. I had east wind gusts up to 80 MPH here in November. This round was a short half day blow with gusts in the 50s, but I lost the top half of a large lodgepole pine along the road. It was split in half lengthwise so maybe it was a lightening strike. It is now a spar about 35 feet tall, and the rest I am carving into firewood. It took out half of a liquidambar tree with it, the same tree that lost 15 feet of its top in the east winds in November. Rains have been about normal in the north Oregon Cascades; 10 inches in October, 11 in November. I get about 80 inches a year here. Rivers were all bank full last week, but they are receding now. It has snowed a few days here this year, but it has not been that cold (only into the low 20s F. so far, 7 F. was the low here last year). CA is getting the brunt of the rain now... finally. October was really warm here, November was cold, December has been fairly warm.

Columbus Day in '62 was the big wind storm here. The Eugene storm in '02 (the South Valley Surprise) was pretty big too. As was the 'Mega Storm' with a two flag hurricane warning in '07 that absolutely flattened huge swaths of Doug fir stands out along Hwy 26 near Cannon Beach. I have photos of that one someplace. We had a series of tornadoes in a storm up here 4 years ago. I called in over a dozen power poles snapped and/or power lines down to PGE within 5 miles of my place after that one. The power was out here for 4 days. The twisters missed the area around my house, it was hit and miss in a line from south of Mt Hood north through Sandy, Corbett and up into Southern WA. Tornadoes are certainly more common around here now than they were when I was a kid.

This wasn't big, but it was intense in isolated areas, good thing it was short lived. That 07 storm was a good one. We worked one of the tornado areas. Nobody had ever seen a pole just gone before. Sucked out of the ground kinda gone. Just a nice round hole left. Got cleaned up here and went to the coast. That is something I'll not soon forget. We got up on one of the heads, looked out and saw a 1/2 mile wide line of crap along the coast north and south, hugged up along the surf. Mostly whole, root wad included trees and some big'uns at that. Just brown nasty surf and debris. That year took us days to get the beach cleared to launch the boats. Once day light came it sunk in, massive swaths of timber snapped just like someone cut it off at the 30 to 40 foot mark. There's still signs along the coast, damage from the 07 wind storm, with pull outs for people to take photos. Seen a few last spring all the way up the Oly Pen in Wa.

Owl

I think I posted some of these photos here before the AS hack. These were taken along Highway 26 heading to Cannon Beach in the Northwest corner of Oregon 2 days after the '07 hurricane (an hour after the road re-opened).

These were 18-24 inch DBH Doug firs... snapped off like toothpicks.
07 storm Hwy 26 2.jpg

This was the world's tallest Sitka Spruce, until it was lost in that storm:
07 storm Hwy 26 6.jpg

Typical tree bowls of Doug firs knocked over whole. They were all over the place that day:
07 storm Hwy 26 5.jpg

More typical roadside tree damage. Those are large Doug firs...
07 storm Hwy 26 4.jpg

It got cold (~30 highs, low teens lows) and dangerous (icy access roads plus single grousers=ice skating a 90,000 lb excavator) up in PA and the leases on my equipment ran out so I packed all my crap in my truck and loaded the small stuff on the trailer and headed back down south. I usually head home when the roads freeze up. I'm glad I made that decision.

Back