The SOB sat back on me!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!! You guys are hostile!

Let's Clarify.

This thread should definitely be in the Homeowner's section. I am obviously by no means an "arborist".

The Area:

The Tree is in the middle of the woods on my own private property. It is in no way endangering any structures or people. The area is only accessible by quad or horseback, so using a tractor or truck is out of the question.

The Tree:

Its about 26" in diameter, and yes all that is supporting it now is the hinge. Its very probable I misjudged the limb weight.

The Plan:

Like I said, this tree isn't near anything, it is about as remote as you could imagine. If I can't tip it over with the wedges, I'll try getting a line up in it and hammering in some wedges. Until then, I'll hope some more wind comes through and when I head back out there, it'll already have fallen.

I apologize for posting in the wrong section.

Is there anything I left out?

--I'd get a line up in it high, then snatch blocks and a comealong or whatever so you can stand way off to the side, and pull it back the way you wanted it to fall in the first place. It'll either fall then, or give you enough room with a better lean that THEN you can place wedges and finish the cut.

I wouldn't go pound wedges in the thing now without a line on it, I'd write off the cost of the bar and chain first.

I don't have any plastic wedges (yet, I am going to get some), but I have used hard wooden wedges for years. I always use them on larger trees, even if it looks like a good cut. Just good safety insurance.

Oh, and wind..ya sucks sometimes. I just don't cut with big winds as a general rule. Not cutting on contract or anything, so I can afford to wait to calm days or just gentle breezes. And I still won't try to drop against the wind, ever, unless it is such an extreme leaner that it is easy.

Wow!! You guys are hostile!

Let's Clarify.

This thread should definitely be in the Homeowner's section. I am obviously by no means an "arborist".

The Area:

The Tree is in the middle of the woods on my own private property. It is in no way endangering any structures or people. The area is only accessible by quad or horseback, so using a tractor or truck is out of the question.

The Tree:

Its about 26" in diameter, and yes all that is supporting it now is the hinge. Its very probable I misjudged the limb weight.

The Plan:

Like I said, this tree isn't near anything, it is about as remote as you could imagine. If I can't tip it over with the wedges, I'll try getting a line up in it and hammering in some wedges. Until then, I'll hope some more wind comes through and when I head back out there, it'll already have fallen.

I apologize for posting in the wrong section.

Is there anything I left out?

You're OK - Some like to lecture more than others.

If you feel the situation warrants it, have a pro come out and put it down for you. Safety is paramount.

Otherwise, learn from the situation and next time it will go better for you! I have pinched a few bars in my day, and it is always frustrating.

Good luck!

Mark the tree and post warnings. Set a line, have buddys, with phones. BE CAREFUL and pull it over. If ya need more power, look into a fiddle block set up. Dont need to buy the set, but even if ya can set up 2 pulleys in the system, will help greatly with pulling power.

Or

Buy a couple rolls of caution tape, tape out a perimeter and let nature do its thing.

I'm lucky, I grew up in the industry. Every tree I throw I put a tag line in. Too late to start over.

Now listen carefully and try to picture this. I saw some one trying to drive wedges in a large Oak exactly as you described. It may have had more back lean than yours, I don't know. He got the wedges in and they stressed the hinge to the point it broke. Broke is hardly the word. It sounded and looked like it exploded. The but shot forward, in the direction of the notch, in a millisecond, and the tree fell 100% backwards. Often when you drop a big tree and every thing goes right it looks like it's falling in slow motion. This was the opposite, it happened so fast that every one was standing around stunned. If he had of been driving the wedge from behind the tree he would have been squashed. I cannot describe how fast that tree came down. I was 15 or 16 when that happened and I'm 55 now and it is still vivid in my mind. Please be carefull, Joe.

You have gotten plenty of advice here, the best one is next time make sure you and your buddy know what you are doing.

Hope it all goes well and no one gets hurt.

Back