the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed Stihl maybe 6 yrs ago with my serial number and they told me it was too old and has no history to it ? Is the serial number tool accurate ?
It is accurate, owner got it from his saw. Also if it’s not, the website will tell you it’s invalid. My saw is a lot older around 10 years and it shows everything. Yours is a Brazilian made too?

It is accurate, owner got it from his saw. Also if it’s not, the website will tell you it’s invalid. My saw is a lot older around 10 years and it shows everything. Yours is a Brazilian made too?
Is there a link you can provide to the serial number site. Here is mine.

Attachments

• IMG_5404.jpeg
    2.8 MB
  • IMG_5405.jpeg
    3.2 MB
  • IMG_5406.jpeg
    5.9 MB
Just received my mag 2 today. It has a dual port muffler and appears to be an early production mag 2. Made in West Germany!!! My mag is 1984 and this mag 2 is 1986. So within two years or less they released the mag 2?

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    1.5 MB
  • IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    2 MB
  • IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    1.4 MB
  • IMG_1229.png
    IMG_1229.png
    315.4 KB
Now my question is what the difference? It has to be something cuz the triple port came out later?

Triple port was an option I believe , mainly ordered in PNW. Never seen a factory one.

I open up but not remove the baffle on a dual port, and open up the existing two ports. That seems to work fine.

There’s a west German mag II in my shop right now with triple port muffler. Have no idea if it was installed from factory or at time of purchase. Has our sticker on it as well so we sold it back in the day. I’ve seen a handful of west German mag II’s with triple port mufflers, have no clue as to why or how. Was it an option? Was it luck of the draw? I don’t know. Believe some of the early Brazil saws came with tripple port mufflers as well. I removed the inner baffle on one of my 038 mags and added a third port on flywheel side. On my other 038 mag I got lucky and found a Brazil market muffler without baffle. Both run very well, that inner baffle really does choke them down.

There’s a west German mag II in my shop right now with triple port muffler. Have no idea if it was installed from factory or at time of purchase. Has our sticker on it as well so we sold it back in the day. I’ve seen a handful of west German mag II’s with triple port mufflers, have no clue as to why or how. Was it an option? Was it luck of the draw? I don’t know. Believe some of the early Brazil saws came with tripple port mufflers as well. I removed the inner baffle on one of my 038 mags and added a third port on flywheel side. On my other 038 mag I got lucky and found a Brazil market muffler without baffle. Both run very well, that inner baffle really does choke them down.
That makes me thinking. Maybe early mag 2 didn’t come with triple port or triple port wasn’t available at the time. I mean mag 1 was introduced in 1984 that makes 1986 mag 2 is an early production. If that’s the case then what’s the difference between mag 1 and early mag 2? I don’t wanna dissect them to find out what it is.

It may serve a purpose like on a bike muffler to resonate back some of the charge that would get puked out exhaust and get wasted. I just opened up the existing holes to 5/16-3/8 "? can't remember size of existing holes? and added two 3/8" to top. Left baffle in place.

Check the serial number of that one and let us know what year it was made please!

My mag 2 was idling high. Just tuned it down. I also have my mag 1 idling video. Are they normal? Feel like the mag 1 is so relaxing while the mag 2 is a bit hyper. Mag 1 since I thought it I haven’t touched nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.mov
    10.6 MB
  • IMG_1251.mov
    11.1 MB
  • IMG_1252.mov
    19.9 MB
Looked up that serial number today, got nothing on Stihl website. It’s black lever, assuming it (the lever) hasn’t been replaced at some point, I would say it’s 1989 or 1990 model year maybe? I’ll look into it further when I have time. Not sure when the US market 038 mags switched from German to Brazil manufacture but I assume it was around 1992 give or take?

Run the serial number on this site, no need to share it if you don’t want to Workshoppist.com just let us know the year and the origin. Black lever is likely a German made.

Back